Page 181 of 240 FirstFirst ... 81131171177178179180181182183184185191231 ... LastLast
Results 2,701 to 2,715 of 3594

Thread: Time for some levity

Blog Entries
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Love the Far Side, the guy died young. Garry Larson , or close … With his kind of humor , I think he was always aware that “anything
    can happen … and does” (old well-worn line for many movie theater ,coming attractions). I think his first news paper cartoon gig was in
    Richmond Va. But I’m too tired to look it up. SO SORRY FOR BIG GOOF!! But certainly glad he’s alive. Some crossed wires somewhere.
    Last edited by Mel Fulks; 02-02-2023 at 1:09 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Mel Fulks View Post
    Love the Far Side, the guy died young. Garry Larson , or close … With his kind of humor , I think he was always aware that “anything
    can happen … and does” (old well-worn line for many movie theater ,coming attractions). I think his first news paper cartoon gig was in
    Richmond Va. But I’m too tired to look it up. SO SORRY FOR BIG GOOF!! But certainly glad he’s alive. Some crossed wires somewhere.
    Yep...he was one of the great ones; also Bill Watterson (Calvin and Hobbes), Berkeley Breathed (Bloom County), Scott Adams (Dilbert), and some others that have that inimitable quirkiness.
    But FarSide and C&H were always my favorites. I still have maybe another dozen or so FarSide comics to post here.

In times of yore there was (to name just a few) Gahan Wilson, Sidney Harris, and Charles Addams (creator of the Addams Family Cartoon that was the basis for the 1960's TV sit-com) that were also pretty quirky.
    Oh, and Edward Gorey, whose drawings were, more often than not, flat-out bizarre.
    Last edited by Patty Hann; 02-02-2023 at 4:20 AM.

Blog Entries
    Yep...he (Gary Larson) was one of the great ones; also Bill Watterson (Calvin and Hobbes), Berkeley Breathed (Bloom County), Scott Adams (Dilbert), and some others that have that inimitable quirkiness.
    But FarSide and C&H were always my favorites.
    Before we married Candy, my wife to be, saw and loved this one hanging in my workspace:

Crunchy on the Outside - Larson.jpg

When I was in Chicago area for a work training class I was in a mall on my time off. This was on the side of a box with mug that had it printed on it. I bought it for her and we still have it after all these years. This still hangs on the side of our refrigerator.

Even though they are all reruns I still enjoy reading Calvin and Hobbes everyday at gocomics. I send them to Candy and she always gets a chuckle. Dilbert reminds her too much of her working days. I enjoy it because it tells me it was the management that was crazy and not me.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."

I recognize the igloo cartoon.
    That one, as you noted, made the rounds, appearing on mugs, note pads and calendars, as did certain Calvin and Hobbes cartoons (which I will post later).
    The "Chocolate Frosted Sugar Bombs" one still turns up a lot.

Our local, daily paper "The West Australian" is still re-running Calvin and Hobbes cartoons, which, though I've seen them before, still give me a smile.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Geoff Emms View Post
    Our local, daily paper "The West Australian" is still re-running Calvin and Hobbes cartoons, which, though I've seen them before, still give me a smile.
    Great, some of my favorites! I have all the paper books and am torn between saving them for me to read again or giving them to the next generation. At the moment one son and grandsons have about 1/2 of them!

Don't forget Walt Kelly of Pogo fame. One of the best political cartoonists of all time. Getting the point across with humor, a fine line.
    "We have met the enemy and he is us."
    BillL

Quote Originally Posted by William Lessenberry View Post
    Don't forget Walt Kelly of Pogo fame. One of the best political cartoonists of all time. Getting the point across with humor, a fine line.
    "We have met the enemy and he is us."
    BillL
    I did think of Pogo, but during its syndication I was too young to appreciate it, and when I was older it was no longer printed (in the local newspaper).
    So I hesitated to mention it myself because I had little exposure to it.

Quote Originally Posted by John K Jordan View Post
    Great, some of my favorites! I have all the paper books and am torn between saving them for me to read again or giving them to the next generation. At the moment one son and grandsons have about 1/2 of them!
    Can you do both? Save them to read and bequeath them to your kids/grandkids (or great-grandkids )
    Is that not an excuse (if they needed one ) to come and visit you? I.e., to read your Calvin and Hobbes books?

Quote Originally Posted by Patty Hann View Post
    That's my wife and my favorite cartoon of all time. I have it framed in my office.
    I can't tell you how many times I have said "Blah, blah, Ginger" at work.
    - After I ask a stranger if I can pet their dog and they say yes, I like to respond, "I'll keep that in mind" and walk off
    - It's above my pay grade. Mongo only pawn in game of life.

Friday fun.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Dave Anderson

Chester, NH