Thread: Drywall and sound insulation

Drywall and sound insulation

We're doing some remodeling to create a new master bedroom. We're carving a closet 6 feet wide by 2 feet deep out of the end of an unrelated bathroom and I want good sound insulation between the back of the closet and that bathroom. The drywall guy wants the insulation guy to handle it with some rock wool between the studs. Google suggests that we can do a lot better with QuietRock drywall, hanging the drywall on floating nailers, or at least thicker drywall. Anybody have any real experience with this? This is a small area so I'm not too worried about the expense.

Go the rock wool route. Simple, cheap, and effective. Get decent closet doors too.
    Sharp solves all manner of problems.

Had a recording studio when young, you can take it as far as you want, floating concrete floors on springs Separate 2 x 6 walls on each slab that dont touch. I was on a budget used a ton of drywall Roxel and acoustic sealant.

More layers of drywall best bang for the buck. Acoustic sealant. Someone just told me there is a new Roxul that offers sound and better R insulation still. Havent had time to look.

Roxul "safe and sound" is supposed to be better at stopping sound no so much heat. Double stud is good but takes up room. My wife would pack closet full of clothes so no noise gets through
    Bill D

When I remodeled the excutive offices of a drug store we used 2 rock wool and 2 layers of dry wall

I used Roxul in the ceiling of my basement shop. Did not use drywall to cover it, so Roxul is exposed. It significantly reduced the sound in the family room directly above the shop. Did not completely stop the noise but did a pretty good job to reduce it.

The closet itself is good sound insulation. Getting the drywall guy to put up a couple of special sheets of drywall not worth it IMO. Make sure that any plumbing pipes exposed by the work are isolated from the framing- this is maybe the biggest noise factor.

This was a ceiling done to stop sound transmission. It worked very well. Number of layers of drywall with roxul compressed between with acoustic sealant on all the edges of the drywall.

img681.jpg

Warren - That's not practical here but I can believe it worked.

The closet as framed will be 24 1/4" deep with 1/2" drywall, so not much depth available to lose. The back of the closet is the bathroom wall and will be just a few feet from the bed. I don't want some kid putting his ear to the wall and hearing too much. Not a problem for us - no kids - but I'm trying to be considerate of future residents.

I'm feeling better about the rock wool and there's room for another layer of drywall.