Page 35 of 237 FirstFirst ... 253132333435363738394585135 ... LastLast

Thread: Time for some levity

Quote Originally Posted by Keith Outten View Post
    This picture is from US highway 95 in Idaho, near Riggins. Highway 95 is the main road that connects Northern and Southern Idaho, and causes major disruptions when it is blocked. The road is closed, but at least they have a bypass road in place now (one way, gravel, up to 30 minute delays).

Back in 96, I was traveling from Las Vegas back to Moscow, and happened to be passing through Riggins right as a mudslide was happening about 11 miles north of town on Highway 95. They had a dozer that was making passes along the road to clear the mud as it came down, and a pilot car that was taking groups of cars through. I was in the last group of cars that got through before they closed the road when they couldn't keep up with the amount of mud coming down. The road was closed for quite awhile, and it was in a place that they couldn't put a bypass road in (between the Salmon river and the hill), so it was a big detour to get around.

Derek

Assumption is the mother of all screw ups
    Anonyms

Jim, I am going to laugh all day today
    It's true Willie Nelson and Keith Richards will probably outlive everyone except Cher. They say that after the nuclear holocaust the only living creatures that will be left are Cockroaches and Cher.

Keith, i am not necessarily a big fan of Cher, but have no issues with her either. Your post strikes me as inappropriate, but not quite sure if you thought it was humorous or mean spirited, but it just does not sit right. JMHO, YMMV. Care to comment about What was your intent or purpose in posting that type of comment?

Blog Entries
    Not Keith but, I took that in a positive way meaning she is a survivor and has a near immortal career. I know she would kick my ass in an aerobics class.

BTW, I am still laughing at the Iggy Pop / Jennifer Aniston thing ;-))
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Blog Entries
    Alferd Packer Memorial Grill.jpg

This plaque, for a short time, hung at the door to a cafeteria in a Department of Agriculture building.

Every time this story is revisited it seems there is a new twist added. The twist learned today:

[edited for clarity]
    The $29 brass marker was placed in August, 1977 at the entrance to the employee cafeteria on the third floor of the United States Department of Agriculture on the orders of the freshly appointed Ag Secretary Robert Bergland.

In the midst of a battle of bureaucratic tribalism, the General Services Administration was preventing the new Secretary from replacing an unpopular food service contractor inside his own headquarters. The natural reaction to this professional slight was to dedicate the cafeteria to a cannibal, and invite in the media for a public shaming.

Alferd Packer “exemplifies the spirit and the fare of this Agricultural Department cafeteria,” Berland told Barbara Walters and her ABC News viewers.
    There are some strange folks about:
    Members of the Colorado Chapter of "The Friends of Alferd E. Packer" are protesting the sing's removal. The membership card bears a photograph of Packer captioned, "I never met a meal I din't like."
    This version is new to me and makes the story from the past of this being done by administrative error less funny. Having roots in bureaucratic battling makes it more and lees fun at the same time.

Of course, such a great name for a cafeteria can't go unused. It can be found in the University Memorial Center in Boulder, Colorado:

Named after Colorado's most famous cannibal, the Alferd Packer Grill is a multi- venue hot spot in the middle of campus open for breakfast, lunch and dinner.
    In some of the history of this it is thought that it was another member of the group who was killed by Packer who actually killed the other members and became a cannibal.

Add to this someone actually wrote a song about the Alferd Packer Grill > https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ympqTKltxE8

jtk
    Last edited by Jim Koepke; 07-23-2020 at 11:38 AM. Reason: the song
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Assumption is the mother of all screw ups
    Anonyms

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick McCarthy View Post
    Keith, i am not necessarily a big fan of Cher, but have no issues with her either. Your post strikes me as inappropriate, but not quite sure if you thought it was humorous or mean spirited, but it just does not sit right. JMHO, YMMV. Care to comment about What was your intent or purpose in posting that type of comment?
    FWIW, I didnt take it as anything mean spirited, Patrick.
    Last edited by Frederick Skelly; 07-23-2020 at 9:19 PM.
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”

Quote Originally Posted by Frederick Skelly View Post
    FWIW, I didnt take it as anything mean spirited, Patrick.
    Frederick, i appreciate your comment. I had never heard it before and it struck me (still does) as odd. After Glenn's comment above, i googled "nuclear holocaust, cockroach and cher" and was surprised to see it has been said before, apparently in the 1990's.

Pretty sure it would not be received as a compliment if i commented to Keith, or most anyone else, that the only two things that would survive a nuclear holocaust would be cockroaches and his/her spouse. I wouldn't take kindly to such a comment, but i believe I would most likely be confused as to exactly what they were trying to convey.

JMHO, YMMV. Best, Patrick

Cher is a survivor. Her career has taken her though several music venues, at least two husbands and to many world tours to count. This is a joke from a couple decades ago, I am not surprised that some may not have heard this one.

Smile, we don't do politically correct here, ya gotta have a sense of humor
    Last edited by Keith Outten; 07-24-2020 at 2:05 PM.

Blog Entries
    As a public figure Cher is in a special class of people who are open to public opinion, comment, satire and just about anything else thrown their way as long is it isn't libel or slander.

Welcome to America.

Where many folks live in a happy home:

A Happy Home?.jpg

Where many of us will grow so old we will tell strange tales of our youth:

I'm So Old - Record.jpg

We may learn some principles to help us reach the golden years:

Little Boy & the Man.jpg

We will see many changes and explain to those who are awed by how things used to be:

Generation Gap.jpg

We will be vexed by new technologies:

Spock on Autocorrect.jpg

We will hear rumors of our government keeping track of us:

Doritos.png

We will even need to keep a close watch on our pets or suffer the consequences:

No Doggy.jpg

Just around the next corner may be a big surprise:

Danger Will Robinson.jpg

Enjoy the day.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Is that a Plymouth truck, You know made by Chrysler maker of the road runner car?
    Bil lD

It looks like a Chevy emblem on the wheel.
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney