Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: How many miles do you get out of your car brakes?

How many miles do you get out of your car brakes?

I drive a 2006 Toyota mostly on the highway. It has 90,000 miles with the original brakes. I don't hear any squealing on the brakes and they work fine.
    What do you think?
    "Whether you think you can, or you think you can’t - you’re right."
    - Henry Ford

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Joiner View Post
    I drive a 2006 Toyota mostly on the highway. It has 90,000 miles with the original brakes. I don't hear any squealing on the brakes and they work fine.
    What do you think?
    Have always owned Toyotas. Current one is 2006 Corolla. Brake job done at around 115,000 or so.
    That seems to be typical with the way I drive, it's always a little past 100K.
    I do not brake hard, generally "coasting" up to a stoplight/sign. Also I maintain "close" to the requisite car lengths when behind another car, especially on freeways.
    "What you see and what you hear depends a great deal on where you are standing.
    It also depends on what sort of person you are.”

We live in a town stair stepped up the side of a couple hills. It's 800' down to the main part of town. Most of my driving is in the mountains. I am at 87,000 miles + on my Honda Pilot and on the original set of brake pads and rotors. My wife rides the brakes on her car more than I do on mine and she doesn't get as good mileage between brake jobs.
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

I had to put rear brakes on my 2014 Silverado last summer at about 99,000. Fronts are still original at 103,000. I sometimes pull a two axle car trailer. Less than 5,000 miles of the total though.

Rears last about double the fronts. Not sure if that is true with four wheel disks.
    Bill D

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Dufour View Post
    Rears last about double the fronts. Not sure if that is true with four wheel disks.
    Bill D
    Depends on the bias. My GTi wore rears much faster than front, by design.

I think the OP isn't hitting the brakes as hard, or heating them up, the way I tend to
    ~mike

happy in my mud hut

I don't know, but sometimes I check the number of times braking- me vs car in front.

Regularly 1:10, often 1:20, more on mountain or curvy roads.

Recently on a ~6 mile stretch, 1:60!

Wifes Hyundai sonota gets rotors and pads more than a f1 car. Every 20-30k sometimes under 20. The rotors are so poorly made that if you depress pedal more than say 75% the rotors will warp and eat the pads in the next few thousand miles. My GMC trucks are 90-100k.

Many current generation vehicles are using "stickier" pads which often require replacement much sooner than folks are used to. That's the case with what I drive. (They also require a more careful break-in period to avoid uneven deposits on the rotors which makes it seem like there is a "warp", but there is not. When I sold the MY12 Grand Cherokee Overland Summit in 2019, it had 113K miles on it. The front brakes were original. The rears would likely have made it that far, too, but a broken caliper bolt at about 88K miles require replacement of the rears. I generally get good brake life as I don't actually use them as much as some folks do...I coast up to lights and rarely do any hard braking. So unlike some folks who have had repeated issues with the "sticky" brakes on the Ascent I drive these days, mine keep going. The MY19 had 36K on when I traded it last year and the brakes were just fine. I'm expecting the same with the MY23, again, because of how I drive.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Blog Entries
    I got over 200,000Km on the brakes in both my Accord and full size pickup. Both have 4 wheel discs and the rears wore out before the fronts.

Seems to depend on whom you ask. I got new tires from a tire shop a while back and they said I needed brakes, which they'd be happy to take care of at the same time. I declined.

A few months later I took the car to the dealer (Toyota) for a software-update recall and they said I needed brakes, which they'd be happy to take care of at the same time. Nope.

A few weeks after that I took it to an honest brake shop and they said "So why did you think you need brakes?" I could have gone longer but I replaced them anyway.
    Last edited by Alan Rutherford; 04-10-2024 at 1:52 PM.

Almost all my vehicles with just gasoline engines get at least 100k miles on front, rear a lot more...

Have a Prius that wheel bearings went bad at 168k... thought I would just go ahead and put new pads on since I had it apart...
    SURPRISE... the pads were still at least 90% !!!! Guess it is because when you slow down with the brakes, a lot of the stopping
    power is used to charge battery and you have to move pedal more to actually engage brakes... It now has 228k and brakes still like almost new...

It depends on the weight/geometry of your vehicle, your brake bias and how/where you drive. Not to mention what type of brake pads.
    There is no magic number, some people are hard on equipment some are not. Some vehicles have brake systems that are arguably too small and brakes require more. frequent maintenance.
    Towing and hauling all come into play.

For the OP, 90k and 18 years is time to look at the brake system

2015 Chev Silverado 4WD 6.2 liter V8 with 138k and still original brakes Front and Rear. Last 2 service visits i inquired re brakes, and each time told they are still within specs. 47k on OEM tires, 80k on Michelin LTX.

OTOH, 2007 911 with 45k and brakes done at 30k and tires replaced twice . . . and approaching third.

Different horses for different courses.

I got 60,000 on the rear brakes and I have 75,000 on the front of my Volvo XC60 with no indication I need to replace them.
    Mike Null

St. Louis Laser, Inc.

Trotec Speedy 300, 80 watt
    Gravograph IS400
    Woodworking shop CLTT and Laser Sublimation
    Dye Sublimation
    CorelDraw X5, X7