Page 145 of 235 FirstFirst ... 4595135141142143144145146147148149155195 ... LastLast
Results 2,161 to 2,175 of 3514

Thread: Time for some levity

Assumption is the mother of all screw ups
    Anonyms

This is the kinda stuff that fascinates me, that anything this big can even be built at all is mind boggling...
    --and there's over 300 of these engines in service!

same pic as above but shows the whole crank-
    rta96c-c.jpg
    --or is it TWO cranks?

same but different crank(s), looks modified from the one above to be stronger-?
    rta96c-e.jpg

assembled--
    rta96c-d.jpg
    (is this only half?)

installed, I'm assuming-
    rta96c-b.jpg
    --and how big must the boat be to make this enormous power plant look like a
    lawnmower engine in a Sherman tank?

(- I guess this count's as levity?)
    Last edited by Kev Williams; 06-20-2022 at 6:52 PM.
    ========================================
    ELEVEN - rotary cutter tool machines
    FOUR - CO2 lasers
    THREE- make that FOUR now - fiber lasers
    ONE - vinyl cutter
    CASmate, Corel, Gravostyle

I've been in the engine room of a medium sized ship and the sound is deafening. I can imagine what it was like in the engine room of the diesel/electric submarines used in WWII.

They must build the ship around the engines. Any kind of major overhaul must be a real problem.

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

Quote Originally Posted by Kev Williams View Post
    This is the kinda stuff that fascinates me, that anything this big can even be built at all is mind boggling...
    --and there's over 300 of these engines in service!

same pic as above but shows the whole crank-
    rta96c-c.jpg
    --or is it TWO cranks?

same but different crank(s), looks modified from the one above to be stronger-?
    rta96c-e.jpg

assembled--
    rta96c-d.jpg
    (is this only half?)

installed, I'm assuming-
    rta96c-b.jpg
    --and how big must the boat be to make this enormous power plant look like a
    lawnmower engine in a Sherman tank?

(- I guess this count's as levity?)
    The second one looks like a Dachshund LOL
    If the Help and advice you received here was of any VALUE to you PLEASE! Become a Contributor
    Rabbit RL_XX_6040-60 watt Laser engraving/cutting machine Oh wait its a 3D Printer my bad LOL
    Lasercut 5.3
    CorelDraw X5

10" Miter Saw with slide
    10" Table Saw
    8" bench mount 5 speed Drill Press
    Dremel, 3x21 Belt Sander

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by John K Jordan View Post
    There's a shoe repair store not far from here that looks like that inside (except for the cigarette). I took a pair of otherwise good boots with the sole coming loose on one and they fixed it for $8.

JKJ
    That is fortunate, the shoe repair shops from my early age are all gone. There were at least three in my former locality in California. Of course back then many better shoes were made to be resoled or reheeled.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Blog Entries
    At one time my employment was as a drafter at Transamerica De Laval Enterprise Engine Division. Talk about a company being bought and sold a lot over time.

They made some large ship engines, nothing as big as the ones Jim & Kev were posting about. This was back in the late '70s early '80s. Things were changing at the time. One of their steady customers was the nuclear power industry for back up generator engines. The back up engine had to have a fail safe back up engine so there was always a pair. Of course the nuclear power industry had some set backs. Another problem was many ship builders were wanting turbines instead of piston engines.

TDLEED didn't want to go digital for the controls and stayed with a pneumatic logic system for engine controls and alarms. Running tubing was a lot more expensive than running cable.

They went from the biggest foundry west of the Mississippi to an office keeping drawings when spare parts needed to be made.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."

Anonyms

Anonyms

Interesting to see the last picture of the engine to see the small size of the generator it powers. Or is that the starter motor?
    Bill D.

Home Depot is now selling spray painted cactus. I have no idea if the green cactus under the paint will live or not. I know in Southern California companies will come spray paint your gravel landscaping when it gets faded and dirty.
    BILL D
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Bill Dufour; 06-23-2022 at 10:17 AM.

Blog Entries
    Home Depot is now selling spray painted cactus.
    If it sells it just means some people will buy anything.

jtk

Anonyms

629ef3bab21b8_gumh14w42ce81__700.jpg

I can't imagine why this kid didn't score 100%
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”