Page 110 of 237 FirstFirst ... 1060100106107108109110111112113114120160210 ... LastLast
Results 1,636 to 1,650 of 3546

Thread: Time for some levity

I remember the show and the episode but re the cartoon, I don't understand the drunken aspect of the turkeys. I'm sure I'm missing something. Anybody?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave Zellers View Post
    I remember the show and the episode but re the cartoon, I don't understand the drunken aspect of the turkeys. I'm sure I'm missing something. Anybody?
    Wouldn't you be a little woozy if you just fell a few hundred feet out of a helicopter. You might even take up drinking.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Quote Originally Posted by Doug Garson View Post
    Thanks Paul, remember WKRP, must have missed that episode. Can't be that I forget, it was only 43 years ago.
    I recommend watching it online. Les Nesman doing his Hindenburg Disaster routine as the turkey helplessly plummets to the ground, people screaming etc. Flash to the newsroom with the rest of the crew huddled around the radio listening when the mr. Carleton in a deadpan says what has to be one of the funniest lines in television history. And yes the cartoonsdrunk turkeys are confusing but I still smile about that one particular scene.
    My three favorite things are the Oxford comma, irony and missed opportunities

The problem with humanity is: we have paleolithic emotions; medieval institutions; and God-like technology. Edward O. Wilson

I didn't see/hear it but heard the story. I thought it was a joke. Then I heard it was true I was horrified. I still don't know if it was true or not.

My large male turkey can fly just fine BUT not far. He stumbles and limps if landing from even a 12' height.

turkey_IMG_6011.jpg

Looks like a decoy to me. The head on backwards is the only mistake ! But it’s an easy fix.

Quote Originally Posted by Mel Fulks View Post
    Looks like a decoy to me. The head on backwards is the only mistake ! But it’s an easy fix.
    That guy sometimes stays up on that corral panel for two or three days before he comes down for food.

He was interested in some others I was turkey-sitting for a while. Turkeys are vicious - I had three younger birds in that cage and two ganged up and killed the third.

turkeys.jpg

He's the only turkey here now (Royal Palm breed). A couple of years ago I got a female to keep him company but she didn't work out. She was raised with guineas and thought she was a guinea, always roaming around the neighborhood with the guineas. She had to go when she started getting on top my neighbor's new truck!

JKJ

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by John K Jordan View Post
    She had to go when she started getting on top my neighbor's new truck!

JKJ
    You hopefully took her to dinner.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Schierer View Post
    You hopefully took her to dinner.
    Ha! A friend gave me the male, then later the female.

She knew I had kids here often and since some turkeys attack people she gave me the one with the best temperament. She said if it gets mean, it's not long till Thanksgiving! That was years ago - it still follows me around like a puppy, not the least aggressive.

When the female didn't work out it went back to her flock for breeding stock.

JKJ

When I was a kid , turkeys were the scariest animals, because of that ugly red piece of meat they wear on their face , but I always wanted to
    pat a tiger ,…my Grama had cats had they were tame. But those turkey faces still spook me.

The one on line dancing could be old men with enlarged prostrates too. I heard one old guy say, "If is wasn't for gravity, I couldn't pee at all." Tell the truth, how many of you have had to stop the car and relieve yourself along the road?

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Fritz View Post
    …Tell the truth, how many of you have had to stop the car and relieve yourself along the road?
    Back when I was flying a lot I heard about relief tubes, but never had one.

From your question it sounds like that might be useful for old guys on long car trips. 🤭

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave Fritz View Post
    The one on line dancing could be old men with enlarged prostrates too. I heard one old guy say, "If is wasn't for gravity, I couldn't pee at all." Tell the truth, how many of you have had to stop the car and relieve yourself along the road?
    I have had to do this more for my wife and daughters than for me or my son.

Some of these may have been posted already, but they are worth repeating:

jtk

Entertaining cheese.jpgGrandp's Smart Phone.jpgChat Room - Old Windows.jpgRemember Old Phone # Forget Password.jpgRock Bottom.jpgThe New Skylight.jpgWhy Seagulls Fly Over Sea.jpgAlice Roosevelt.jpg
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

I hope she didn't use the gun on you

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.