Thread: Aurora

Aurora

The sky is crystal clear for the first time since they've been active, but the Moon is still up so the sky is a little bit too light to see the Northern Lights with bare eyes. I've heard it said that you can take pictures with your phone, but that's not quite accurate. You can put your phone on camera and hold it up to the sky and what you see is quite active and spectacular.

A friend of ours was able to use her newer iphone to capture it somewhat by turning the light off, but it's still not quite as good as just looking at the screen.

It should be a lot better about an hour or so after the Moon goes down, but I doubt I will get up that late. We enjoyed what we saw with the aid of the phones though.

The activity goes all the way up to straight overhead.

I’ve always wanted to see the northern lights. We had no luck viewing from our yard in western Arkansas. So Saturday evening we took the sidecar rig up into the Boston Mountains hoping for a better experience. Pulled over in a secluded spot with little light pollution. Headed home two hours later having seen nothing. Oh well.
    My three favorite things are the Oxford comma, irony and missed opportunities

The problem with humanity is: we have paleolithic emotions; medieval institutions; and God-like technology. Edward O. Wilson

Did you hold your phone up on camera?

Michael, what is your rig? Favorite one I had was a Watsonian Oxford hanging on a Yamaha XJ1100J. Have had others, stop riding 9 yrs ago. Last was a Vetter Terraplane hanging on a BMW R1100?C??.
    Ron
    Old Codger
    In it for fun

went out after 4:00 am Sat (friday night) sky was full of pulsating patterns. No extreme colour and not super bright but tons of it. Video taped and not looked yet and dont think it will show much. Did adjust the camera to be brighter but dont think that worked. Likely a night setting I dont know about.