Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Are they building standalone car washes like crazy in your area too?

Are they building standalone car washes like crazy in your area too?

They are going crazy building standalone car washes in my area. I know of at least three currently under construction nearby, and a few others that recently opened. Car washes are going up all over the Minneapolis metro area. There will easily be three times as many standalone car washes once they are all open. Heck, there is a car wash that had long been open and a competitor built a new car wash a block or two down the road. Previously, most car washes were part of gas stations. I would guess at least 50% of gas stations have a car wash. Fleet Farm stores have a gas station and a four lane car wash at most locations.

Are they building a bunch of standalone car washes in your area too? I usually use the car wash at Fleet Farm because they have four lanes. The only issue is typically at least one lane is closed, and I have seen three of the four lanes closed. This is after they had the car wash equipment totally replaced about two years ago. It broke down all the time before replacement, and it breaks down after replacement. They have two touchless lanes and two lanes with foam brushes. I only use the touchless lanes and sometimes only one touchless lane is open with a long line and no line for the brush lanes.

Moo-Moo Car Wash came on heavy ten years? ago in Central Ohio. Car washes at gas stations were never plenty and now I can't think of one that is open.
    Ron

In the foothills of the NM Sandia Mountains
    There were very few car wash/gas stations around here. As far as I know they all closed down years ago. They have been building semi do it yourself “ride through the tunnel” washes left & right.
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

Lots here. But, we have water restrictions so washing a car at home is more restricted as to what days and times are allowed.
    BilL D

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Page View Post
    There were very few car wash/gas stations around here. As far as I know they all closed down years ago. They have been building semi do it yourself “ride through the tunnel” washes left & right.
    The tunnel type car washes are what they are building all over here. I find it hard to believe that the demand for car washes has doubled in recent years with car washes being built all over. The salt in the winter is the reason at least 50% of gas stations have a car wash.

I probably don't get my car washed as often as I should in the winter to get rid of the salt. Any time the temperatures are warm enough so car doors won't freeze shut there are huge lines at every car wash. My tolerance for lines is pretty limited. I won't wait in line for 30 to 60 minutes for a car wash.

There have been a number of new car washes built in my area in the last year or so. Seems to be the thing to do around here.

Remember Breaking Bad? Walter needs a way to launder the drug money and buys a car wash. Hmmm
    Car washes and self-storage units are all the rage here in central Arkansas. Six acres that abuts the west side of my property sold for $859,000 and storage units are going to be built on it. This area was unimproved woodlands, now it's a flattened out, barren plain of dirt, getting ready for concrete. We may have to move after 45 years.
    BillL

Blog Entries
    Remember Breaking Bad? Walter needs a way to launder the drug money and buys a car wash. Hmmm
    Money laundering was my first thought. We had a self serve car wash that closed here a few years ago. Not sure if the one across town is still in business.

When it rains as much as it does around here, a car wash seems pointless.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Blog Entries
    And the newer car washes seem to have an over abundance of self serve vacuum stations. Our newest one has something like 15. Never seen more than two being used at the same time.
    NOW you tell me...

Yes, they are being built in increasing numbers and they are also selling monthly subscriptions. Because they recycle water, they are sometimes the only option in some areas that have water restrictions.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Here in Minnesota I have never seen a restriction against washing cars at home. We have enough water for that, so far. The issue with recycling water in car washes in the winter is the water turns into salt water. A big reason to wash your car in the winter is to remove the salt. It doesn't do much good to remove salt with salt water.

Quote Originally Posted by Ralph Okonieski View Post
    There have been a number of new car washes built in my area in the last year or so. Seems to be the thing to do around here.
    There's a Facebook group called "Talk of The Town" that's for residents of Cuyahoga Falls. It's become a running joke that every time they break ground for something that it's going to be another car wash.
    We have a full blown carwash, right next to a Sheets and a BP gas station which both have a car wash. When you drive down the road two miles, you pass three more and finally get to another.

It's crazy! Within a mile radius there's something like 5 car washes & and a couple/three individuals that do car detailing as well as a car detailing company.
    Last edited by Rich Engelhardt; 04-29-2024 at 10:45 AM.
    "Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." - John Lennon

I'm wondering if it's not more the case of "Supply and Demand".
    Guessing most people don't want to be bothered with another routine chore and are willing to pay for the "luxury" of someone else washing their car.
    No more washing supplies needed at home, dragging out the hose etc, whatever.
    Kind of like fast food ("eating out").
    At some point (I don't recall the year) families began eating out at an unprecedented higher rate.
    Again, they probably balanced cost against convenience.
    (I do know my Dad never became part of that demographic. )
    "What you see and what you hear depends a great deal on where you are standing.
    It also depends on what sort of person you are.”

Blog Entries
    I do know my Dad never became part of that demographic.
    My dad may have made up for yours. I think he made a sandwich once or twice. He wasn't much to do any cooking as I recall. I know my mom made sure most of my brothers and I knew how to cook. I now wonder if it was because she new my dad wasn't good at it.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

They are as thick as Fleas here in Clay Co. Fl. There is now a ban on any more car wash construction.
    I see three huge car wash facilities on a daily basis and only one or two cars parked at the facility.