Thread: Electrical Question

Electrical Question

Didn't want to hijack the other electrical thread so I'm asking here. I understand the issue with back stabbed outlets not holding up. But what's the difference between the back stabbed outlet connection and a WAGU instead of wire nuts? I see nothing but praise for the WAGU ease of use and the ability to reuse where a wire nut shouldn't be reused.
    Confidence: The feeling you experience before you fully understand the situation

Wagos are easy to use and if you do a tape wrap after clicking them closed, they are not coming undone. You don't just stab the wires in...you open the clamps, insert the leads and then close the clamps until they lock. (and I do a tape wrap after that as I indicated) If you need to make a change and the current Wago has an open spot; use it. If you need an an open spot, you use a Wago with more positions. They don't get damaged with use, but if you feel uncomfortable with reuse, don't. I like using Wagos when I can (properly sized!) because they are easier to apply and easier to remediate or change than with wire nuts, and wire nuts get "nuts" when you are trying to join more than a couple heavier wire leads. Example, in the very large junction boxes in my shop for the general machine circuit, if I want to add an additional outlet somewhere, my use of the Wago connectors means it's simply a matter of clicking things together...I don't have to find a larger wire nut that can handle, say, 5 #10 leads that what's already there.

And while "backstab" outlets are not something one should use because that's trusting a spring loaded catch than can and does easily go bad, IMHO, "back wired" is not an issue because you are physically closing down on the wire tightly with a screw clamp. The bottom line is that it's about the connection.

I'm actually dealing with a whole bunch of "backstab" outlets in this 1993 era house we moved into three years ago. Each room I do updates in, I'm replacing all the outlets, not just for things like color, but also to eliminate the "backstab" risk.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

WAGU's have a very strong mechanical connection. I use them when installing the newer type of LED recessed light retrofit things as I'm confident in them and it saves overhead working time which can bother my neck. I still use wire nuts for other regular house type wiring.