Thread: Bogus Norton Anti-Virus purchase

Bogus Norton Anti-Virus purchase

Hello All...
    I just noticed this message in my email (gmail):

Thank You For Your Purchase

Order Confirmation <lucerocrystal2459@yahoo.com>
    7:32 AM (11 hours ago)
    These are the specifics of your Norton Payment
    A Norton Total Protection licence was purchased through our website.

DETAILS

Transaction amount: 499.99 USD

Period: 36 Months

Transaction ID: N-m6S5XiD-7xdrtE9

We would like to express our gratitude for your recent payment to Norton LLC for 499.99 USD. You can use your license on any device for the next 3 years. It may take the transaction one business day to reflect on your banking statement.

If you have any enquiry or need assistance concerning your payment, reach out to us for any help by contacting our Customer Service: +1․866.795․3013

There was a place to click on a link to "review the order" (I did not click on it).
    I called the phone number , just to see what would happen... no one answered, not even a recording.

I haven't used Norton for at least 25 years. I currently use MS Defender.
    None of my CCs have been charged, my PP account looks the way I expected it to with my variety of ebay purchases.

Anyway, I wondered if anyone else has received this email From "Norton".
    Oh, and the sender (shown in the header) is NOT Norton...it's a Yahoo address.
    Last edited by Patty Hann; Yesterday at 9:43 PM.
    "What you see and what you hear depends a great deal on where you are standing.
    It also depends on what sort of person you are.”

I get similar fairly often. It seems Norton is a favorite target for scammers, probably because it is widely used so their random emails are likely to hit quite a few actual norton users.

It's gotten to the point that I rarely click on any link in any email. If I feel I need to follow up on something, I go directly to my account or the real website. You handled it well.
    --I had my patience tested. I'm negative--

This or any email designed to attempt to get you mad about a purchase you didn't make are always a SCAM. They want to make you angry so that you are not thinking straight and will call the number provided or logon to a website and give out information they want. DON'T do it, just delete.

have seen Norton, Have seen Bell and sent it to them. Calls from Amazon and Rev Can and and. each time nice name and sounding like Peter Sellers in the Party. Had emails from two friends that I knew were not them. Did get a call from a guy from Revenue Canada or so he said but he had a french accent. Once I told him I knew he wasnt a scammer cause I didnt hear an indian accent on top of the french one and we had a good conversation. Them owing me money and not the other way around still wanting stuff updated.

I watched a few Scammer Payback you tubes last week. One guy if accurate super smart lets them try and scam him and while they are doing that he is in their computer taking stuff off their hard drives. he was able to claw back 24k that they had just scammed someone on and he took it away. Id like to believe those you tubes are accurate but more so like there is a way to shut scammers down. Out car club had a seminar at a hoist company and one owner said his mother was scammed by the grandchild in trouble scam. Got money out twice before he told her to call the grandsons cell phone and of course he didnt know a thing about it. Sad to hear it happened. I know my mother got those calls but was clear enough to ask questions, and my 93 year old same said whats your name? Clic.

I got one of those, was wondering what the upside for them is? Deleted it, then deleted from the deleted file.

I have gotten them before and I thank them for renewing it and I don't go to myPP account They give up real easy then

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Edgerton View Post
    I got one of those, was wondering what the upside for them is? Deleted it, then deleted from the deleted file.
    If you contact the emailer to say you didn't sign up for this they will ask you for your credit card number or bank account number to refund the charge. Now they have your credit card or bank account number so they can use it for fraudulent charges.

These are well known phishing payment scams. DO not respond. DO not click on any link "in" the message. If you are concerned about a "payment" go to the normal website for the entity that supported the supposed payment and check there. Note that occasionally there may actually be a payment request in PayPal (if that was the listed method) if the email address the scammer uses happens to match. Kill it and report it.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

I keep getting them for paypal, which I never belonged to, but use as a guest occasionally. I also get them with a demand to pay invoice for unstated work/goods, with no identification as to company.
    Rick Potter

DIY journeyman,
    FWW wannabe.
    AKA Village Idiot.

I got one this morning. Generally all you have to do is look at the senders email address to know it's bogus. Gmail does a good job of recognizing junk. My Outlook account seldom spots them. As everyone should know, never click on any of the links.
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

Yea, if my spam protection at the server doesn't catch something...which is rare...my MacOS Mail app gets 99% of the rest straight into the "Junk" folder.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

My "Spam Detector" (I use Gmail) is hit or miss.
    This Norton thing showed up in my regular email.
    A few times some legit emails (from places I buy from) have been "auto-moved" to the Spam folder.
    Most of the time it works as it should.
    "What you see and what you hear depends a great deal on where you are standing.
    It also depends on what sort of person you are.”