Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Swiss Army ... tool

Swiss Army ... tool

https://www.cnn.com/2024/05/07/busin...ntl/index.html

While I understand the decision, I can't help think that, I carry a pocket knife, with a blade only and use it for so many tasks. I think I would be fumbling through the selection of tools trying to find a substitute for a knife.

I know there is a market, though I don't see buying one for myself.

I dont know the statistics but swiss army knife stabbings have to be pretty low right?

I would think injuries would be higher without the knife.

Our driver, for whatever reason, never has a knife or a sharpie on him. I could see if you are going grocery shopping or out to dinner not necessarily needing one of those but as a contractor you need these at a minimum at work. I had to give him the "every man needs a blade" speech last week and I asked him today and he didnt have either again.

Modern folks only need to open Amazon packages, and they use a key.

Blog Entries
    For many years we had a tradition of cutting down the family Christmas tree with the saw that some Swiss Army knives have. My favorite Victorinox had one large blade, one small blade, scissors and tweezers only. The little scissors were great for cutting your way into a bad splinter and occasionally the tweezers were good enough to pull the splinter out. It, like most pocket knives eventually got lost.
    Last edited by Maurice Mcmurry; 05-07-2024 at 6:12 PM.
    Best Regards, Maurice

Blog Entries
    My Uncle Hans would bring a Victorinox from Switzerland every time he came to visit. I was always so elated. A Swiss Army Knife without a knife is kind of sad. I would accept the reverse, i.e. just a knife, but wouldn’t want a tool only version.

They make a variety of "tool combinations" already so doing something like this for folks who don't want/don't need/can't have a blade fit into their line perfectly. This is just a "new tool"; it doesn't replace what needed for folks who want/need/can-have a blade.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Wild guess here - maybe omitting the blade makes them acceptable to take on a plane?

Before 9/11 the claim to fame of Swiss Army knives was that they were airplane and airport approved worldwide.

Blog Entries
    If it goes past the TSA, I’m in. It could be my travel knife. Of course there will be plenty of pointy things that could be a weapon. For that matter, it wouldn’t be hard to come up with some sort of shiv that would pass through security.

I wouldn't give a nickel for the odds of a bladeless Swiss Army Whatever getting past a TSA screening.
    It still looks like a pocketknife and most (all?) TSA agents wouldn't even bother opening it before tossing it in the barrel.
    Yoga class makes me feel like a total stud, mostly because I'm about as flexible as a 2x4.
    "Design"? Possibly. "Intelligent"? Sure doesn't look like it from this angle.
    We used to be hunter gatherers. Now we're shopper borrowers.
    The three most important words in the English language: "Front Towards Enemy".
    The world makes a lot more sense when you remember that Butthead was the smart one.
    You can never be too rich, too thin, or have too much ammo.

Quote Originally Posted by Edwin Santos View Post
    Wild guess here - maybe omitting the blade makes them acceptable to take on a plane?

Before 9/11 the claim to fame of Swiss Army knives was that they were airplane and airport approved worldwide.
    I carried a pocket knife since age 15-ish - but not Swiss. After TSA took 3 (or 4?) nice ones, I gave up.

They are "concerned about increasingly stringent regulations on knives in many markets." I can believe it. Maybe kids would be allowed to have one in school. Give them somethng to play with besides their phones.

Seems like some didn't read the whole article.

For example, increasing concern over the prevalence of knife crime means that the British government is considering new legislation on bladed articles, and Elsener himself referenced the country’s rules.
    “In England or certain Asian countries, you are sometimes only allowed to carry a knife if you need to have it to do your job or operate outdoors,” said Elsener. “In the city, however, when you go to school, to the cinema, or to go shopping, carrying pocketknives is severely restricted.”

As I said in the original post, there is a reason and the decision makes sense, it's just not for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Alan Rutherford View Post
    They are "concerned about increasingly stringent regulations on knives in many markets." I can believe it. Maybe kids would be allowed to have one in school. Give them somethng to play with besides their phones.
    I'm getting an image of a couple of middle-school kids playing mumblety-peg: the whole school goes on lock-down and SWAT gets called out.
    Yoga class makes me feel like a total stud, mostly because I'm about as flexible as a 2x4.
    "Design"? Possibly. "Intelligent"? Sure doesn't look like it from this angle.
    We used to be hunter gatherers. Now we're shopper borrowers.
    The three most important words in the English language: "Front Towards Enemy".
    The world makes a lot more sense when you remember that Butthead was the smart one.
    You can never be too rich, too thin, or have too much ammo.