Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Amazon is selling a square ( 6” by 4 and 5/16ths)

Amazon is selling a square ( 6” by 4 and 5/16ths)

For only $ 461.99 ! Get ‘em while they got ‘em !

Yeah but if you have Prime, shipping is free.
    Where's the link?

Doesn't take much looking to find absurdities on Amazon these days. The overseas sellers that have clogged up their (always rather random, now completely chaotic) marketplace just put all kinds of crazy stuff up there.

For example:

Absurd amazon listing.jpg

Item Description:
    Features
    1. It is very suitable for drilling on wood, with a mill or a morning coat. Suitable for all motors and press accessories. The square-hole drill is mainly used for woodwork.
    4. Dimensions: 6mm/6.4mm/8mm/9.5mm/10mm/11mm/12mm/12.5mm/12.7mm/14mm/15mm/16mm/18mm/19mm/20mm/22mm/25mm
    Specification
    Material: High-carbon Steel
    Color: Silver
    Size: 6mm/6.4mm/8mm/9.5mm/10mm/11mm/12mm/12.5mm/12.7mm/14mm/15mm/16mm/18mm/19mm/20mm/22mm
    Package Includes:
    1 x Drill Bit
    Item Specification:
    DIY Supplies: Woodworking
    Type: Twist Drill Bit
    length: 6-22mm
    Use: Wood Drilling
    is_customized: Yes
    Material: High Carbon Steel
    TYPE 1: Drill Bit
    TYPE 2: Woodworking Tools
    TYPE 3: Twist Square Hole Drill Bits
    TYPE 4: Woodworking Drill Tools
    TYPE 5: DIY Furniture

(This is the link, but it's anybody's guess if it'll still be there, or how it'll be priced if it is, by the time you read this)

I'm not even sure exactly what that listing is for - it's obviously some kind of set of mortiser chisels, in metric and imperial, but how many, I wouldn't bet. So, a 6" square for over $400 wouldn't surprise me in the slightest. Given the sellers grasp of English, I would guess that it's an bottom of the barrel el cheapo set, and the seller doesnt, literally, know dollars from cents.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Demuth View Post
    Doesn't take much looking to find absurdities on Amazon these days. The overseas sellers that have clogged up their (always rather random, now completely chaotic) marketplace just put all kinds of crazy stuff up there.

For example:

Absurd amazon listing.jpg

(This is the link, but it's anybody's guess if it'll still be there, or how it'll be priced if it is, by the time you read this)

I'm not even sure exactly what that listing is for - it's obviously some kind of set of mortiser chisels, in metric and imperial, but how many, I wouldn't bet. So, a 6" square for over $400 wouldn't surprise me in the slightest. Given the sellers grasp of English, I would guess that it's an bottom of the barrel el cheapo set, and the seller doesnt, literally, know dollars from cents.
    But you neglected to mention the deal clincher, the best part... the BOGO!

BOGO.jpg
    "What you see and what you hear depends a great deal on where you are standing.
    It also depends on what sort of person you are.”

Yeah, although I at least know what that might mean. I really have no idea what they were after with "drilling on wood, with a mill or a morning coat," or why it doesn't go equally well with an evening jacket.

I think maybe Artificial Intelligence is not as intelligent as some think it is.

I wonder sometimes if this is one of those things where you buy it and then get a package with 2 lbs of heroin and a cheep drill bit.

Quote Originally Posted by George Yetka View Post
    I wonder sometimes if this is one of those things where you buy it and then get a package with 2 lbs of heroin and a cheep drill bit.
    So, maybe, "morning coat" is a code for "raw fentanyl?" Could be - stranger things have been true. But in this case, I'm more inclined to think it's bad AI translation of a mistyped unusual word like "mortiser."

Some of the overseas item description are truly insane and make no sense at all, others are a little confusing or even a bit comical.
    I was looking for Diesel motor oil for my tractor, here is one of the photos in the listing.
    91AyxWkU94L._AC_SL1500_.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Tom M King View Post
    I think maybe Artificial Intelligence is not as intelligent as some think it is.
    More likely just a poor translation from Chinese, not uncommon for them to be word salads.

Quote Originally Posted by Edward Weber View Post
    Some of the overseas item description are truly insane and make no sense at all, others are a little confusing or even a bit comical.
    I was looking for Diesel motor oil for my tractor, here is one of the photos in the listing.
    91AyxWkU94L._AC_SL1500_.jpg
    It does look hot and, while very rare, there were Diesel bikes manufactured at one time.

Quote Originally Posted by Doug Garson View Post
    It does look hot and, while very rare, there were Diesel bikes manufactured at one time.
    Nice try
    A company the size of Shell (28 billion in profit last year) can afford proper advertisements, proof readers and even translators.

Personally, it's getting tiring playing Sherlock Holmes for everything you purchase online. Just about everything you read has an error. There's not much you can feel safe about taking a face value.
    If you don't know exactly what you're looking for, this can be quite problematic in some cases.

Quote Originally Posted by Edward Weber View Post
    Nice try
    A company the size of Shell (28 billion in profit last year) can afford proper advertisements, proof readers and even translators.

Personally, it's getting tiring playing Sherlock Holmes for everything you purchase online. Just about everything you read has an error. There's not much you can feel safe about taking a face value.
    If you don't know exactly what you're looking for, this can be quite problematic in some cases.
    Lot's of reasons to complain about Shell, showing a picture of motorcycles riding thru the desert in an ad for Diesel motor oil is pretty low on my list.

It was a continuation of the OP's theme of unclear, misleading, imprecise product descriptions, good grief.
    Not too many bikers are running 5-40 synthetic diesel oil in their bikes.

It annoys me how they will not let you be specific in a search. This morning I searched for a specific brand of footpegs that a general search said they had, and instead I got 300 cheap Chinese pegs. Now footpegs are something you don't want to let you down, no pun intended. I never found them and instead bought them from CRF's Only. Which I should have done in the first place. They used to be pretty good, but then so was Ebay.