Thread: Computer virus protection

Blog Entries

Computer virus protection

Mine is about to expire and the renewal is over $100. I have always had it, but I am considering dropping it.

What are your thoughts?

Blog Entries
    I use Avast free version and have had no issues.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

Given the multiple issues you've posted about relative to viruses and other nefarious things hitting your computer, you need to continue to use something for AV. There are plenty of free solutions including one that's native to Windows from Microsoft.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

We use Webroot Antivirus. One if its claims to fame is that it does not slow down your computer performance as much as some others can. It's not free, but it's relatively cheap if you catch it on sale. I think I paid $20 for my current copy that can be used for up to 3 computers.

In my experience, it is usually significantly cheaper to purchase a new version of the antivirus software than it is to renew it through the prompts that the installed software will give you near the end of your subscription. I set a pricewatch on CamelCamelCamel.com and buy a new copy ahead of time from Amazon. Then use the product key that comes with the new copy to extend the life of the copy that's already installed on my computer.

I use Norton 360 Premium with LifeLock. Not cheap $130/year but I have it on close to 10 computers and devices. It comes with 10 licenses.
    Michael Dilday
    Suffolk, Va.

Blog Entries
    I think I recall that you have stated that many of the attacks you have reported here were simply PSA's and not declarations of personal impact. If I am correct and you are a Windows user, the built in Windows 10 stuff should do you fine. I stopped using 3rd party stuff in the later versions of Windows 7 Enterprise. I cannot speak to the 'home' versions. If you are not, and you can, you could upgrade to Windows 10 and invoke their built-in protection services.

If you are a Mac or UX user I would go for any well recommended free anti-virus package. Do not fall for the old saw that Macs don't get hacked. Once they were plentiful enough and interesting enough, we unscrewed Macs as often as anything. At this point even network switches and routers are attacked successfully if they are not well managed. The rule of thumb used to be that if your machine is interesting enough, you will be attacked. Today you get scanned even if you are boring.

I need to clarify that my habits while networked are very cautious. I was deep into computer networking before and through the internet being a wonderful collaborative and research tool all the way to the 9th level of hell it is today. If you just keep in mind that you are under threat every time you click on something that connects you to something that you do not control, you'll do fine. I was in I.T. for nearly 40 years and can count the number of times I have been compromised on one hand.

In contrast, I have had to purge, clean or even rebuild from scratch my wife's and kid's machines to the point where I had to refuse to do it again in order to get them to quell their bad networking habits. The potential loss of an online existence is a great tool in adjusting folks use of the internet; or as I refer to it, Cocytus.

Late addition: I lied. I use Malwarebytes as well. Sorry about that.
    Last edited by glenn bradley; 03-16-2020 at 10:54 AM. Reason: More info
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

In hopes of clearing up some of the misinformation I've been noticing around the net about Win7 and Security Essentials, a screenshot from support.microsoft.com below.

Notice that:

1- If you DON'T already have Win Essentials on your Win7, you're too late.
    2- If you DO already have Win Essentials on your Win7, you got 3 more years of updates...

========================================
    ELEVEN - rotary cutter tool machines
    FOUR - CO2 lasers
    THREE- make that FOUR now - fiber lasers
    ONE - vinyl cutter
    CASmate, Corel, Gravostyle

I use the virus protection that comes with windows 10, but I also practice safe surfing.

They say that MS has put a lot of work into Windows Defender and it is as good as any now.

I was told that it is the malware that is worse for the computers then viruses now a days.

I have been using Malwarebytes which also offers virus protection now with it's malware protection.

Don't know the cost for a new prescription as I pay the same for it since I started getting it, must be 10 years now.

But it is very reliable, and there is a free version.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    Given the multiple issues you've posted about relative to viruses and other nefarious things hitting your computer, you need to continue to use something for AV.
    I think that should read, "Given the multiple issues you've posted about relative to viruses and other nefarious things hitting your computer, you need to use something different for AV."
    Yoga class makes me feel like a total stud, mostly because I'm about as flexible as a 2x4.
    "Design"? Possibly. "Intelligent"? Sure doesn't look like it from this angle.
    We used to be hunter gatherers. Now we're shopper borrowers.
    The three most important words in the English language: "Front Towards Enemy".
    The world makes a lot more sense when you remember that Butthead was the smart one.
    You can never be too rich, too thin, or have too much ammo.

I use a Mac. I also run the free Malwarebytes occasionally just in case. Never an issue.
    Sharp solves all manner of problems.