Thread: Someone to value hand planes

Someone to value hand planes

I don’t know if this is allowed or not I am wondering if anyone in the greater Cleveland area who is knowledgeable in pricing handplanes.I would be willing to pay someone for their time to help me put a price on these so I can post thank you if not allowed moderators please remove.thanks jim

Jim,

If you can post pictures, detailed pictures of the plane, enough that we can determine the brand, condition, and type, I am sure it could be done right here on the site, if that is allowed. I don't know the rules on such.

Stew

Blog Entries
    Part of the problem with assigning a value to hand planes depends on the purpose. Your values would be different for insurance or replacement value versus what someone like me would be willing to pay for one compared to the price one should ask when selling them.

Also one must consider where the planes are being sold.

Completed listings on ebay is an often used resource. The sold listings only show those that sold. The completed listings also show the ones that didn't sell.

Patrick Leach has a monthly 'for sale' listing. This is a good source for 'full retail' of used planes and other tools. It is also a great source of information > http://www.supertool.com/oldtools.htm

For bench planes:

Pictures should include a clear shot of the front of the plane with the blade and lever cap removed, sitting next to the plane. The area around the knob, the face of the frog from the top of the lateral lever to the bottom of the frog tells a lot about a plane.

From the back, show the area between the frog and the tote including the bottom of the frog and the depth adjuster. If possible one of these images should have a clear shot of the lateral adjuster. A lot can be told about the maker and the date with two images.

Also include any images to show condition of the plane overall or any cracks.

The maker can often be determined by the lateral lever:

Lateral Adjuster Maker ID.jpg

A clear side view is often better than what is above.

Block plane value can usually be determined with a good side view image and one of the plane with the blade and lever cap removed.

Special purpose planes are all different depending on their use.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Jim S., Jim K.s' post above is right on the money, and I completely agree with everything he has written.

I have bought a number of planes over the years from that on line auction outfit, as there are almost none to be had around my location. I have learned the hard way, to a some extent anyway, to always look all the pictures over very well. If there are not a complete set of photos from every angle, I learned to pass on the plane, almost regardless how good the price is.

Now I have about all the planes I will ever need, but if I were to buy another one, (and there is one size that I don't have that I would use if I had it), I look at the side views from both sides. This is needed to be able to know that both sides are good. Views from both sides will help folks evaluate the plane to help fix a price to it.

I would add photos to what Jim K. listed, in that I would want an above view of the plane behind the tote, as I think he left that out but could be wrong on that point, because sometimes the model number or patent date is located there. I would also take apart the iron from the chip breaker and show the front and back of each, especially a clear close up of the upward facing portion of the lower half of the iron. If that part is in great shape good, but if it is badly corroded, a user will want to replace it, which of course means that he will take into account the cost of replacing the iron as to what he will pay for the plane.

What Jim mentioned about location is extremely important in my view. Up in the New England area, and your area too I think, there are a lot more hand planes to be had than in my location here. However, there are also a lot more folks looking for planes up there than there are here. Also, the prices things sell for on that auction site will be higher than a price at a flea market, etc.

If you go to the auction site to help evaluate the value, look at the "Sold" section, and then look at the "auction" only values. Such will tell you what folks are willing to actually pay for the plane.

What Jim mentioned about location, again, is a key item. I can tell you a little about flea market values I have seen down in our area, and Jim can tell you about values where he is located, but I have no clue what the values are in Ohio, but folks like Steven Newman will have a good handle about prices in Ohio.

Regards,

Stew
    Last edited by Stew Denton; 03-15-2020 at 5:41 PM.

Thanks jim with your help I posted my first pics on the creek .jim and stew thank you for reply I will do some research and take pics.stew is Steven Newman on the creek.thanks jim.

Hi Jim,

Yes, Steven Newman is a very regular poster on the Neanderthal forum. He does frequent posts on various builds he completes, showing step by step photos. Others who also do such include Ken H. (who has done several on bench builds), Derek, Jim K., and many others. Steven does more of these than any other member, and his posts are followed by quite a few of us, as are the builds of the others.

Steven also posts quite a bit on tools he has found on rust hunts, then showing the "before" and "after" photos of the rehab. He also answers questions on restoring tools and answers questions about identifying various types of planes. Steven seems to write on many different types of planes, and has purchased and restored several types of planes. I, and others, buy almost exclusively Stanley, because they are so plentiful, and many of us know the "type numbers" of the desirable time periods of the ones we prefer.

Steven knows quite a bit about several brands of planes, and buys many brand names.

If you look at the list of original posters of the various posts, you will see several with Steven as the original poster.

Steven is from Ohio, regularly goes on "rust hunts" to garage sales, flea markets, suctions, etc., and he also used to sell on the auction site, etc. He will know more about what a plane should be worth in your state than most others.

Regards,

Stew
    Last edited by Stew Denton; 03-16-2020 at 10:46 PM.

+1 to what Stew said regarding photos. I will add that I want to see close up photos of the sole, especially the mouth of the plane.

Hmmm...
    Heart of Ohio, almost done.JPG
    Heart of Ohio, back deck.JPG
    Heart of Ohio, re-assembly.JPGHeart of Ohio, cleaned frog.JPG
    Millers Falls No. 15, Type 3 (1941-1949) same as a Stanley No. 5-1/2 Jumbo Jack plane.....when I bought this ( $22.50 + Tax) It looked a little different
    Heart of Ohio, front view.JPG
    I'm about 4 hours SW of the OP's location....about an hour north of Dayton, OH...

Blog Entries
    Looking at Steven's second image as an example of indicators to look for when hunting planes.

The mound around the tote is unique to Millers Falls planes. Stanley and others used a bead or ring cast into the base to help prevent the knob from cracking..

If one looks closely the frog adjustment screw is visible below the depth adjuster. The lateral lever is another indicator of being made by Millers Falls.

On a Stanley/Bailey plane the area between the tote and the frog will have patent dates from type 9 through type 14, 1902-1930.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Thanks to everyone there is a Creeker within 15 minutes of my house that has offered to help I appreciate all the replies thanks Jim.