Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Saw Stop problem or Me problem

Saw Stop problem or Me problem

My fairly new Infinity General (purpose) blade was not cutting as well as it did when new a few months ago. I decided I would remove it from my Saw Stop PCS and clean the teeth.

Being careful is my new mantra in my dotage, so I unplugged the saw, removed the blade, and cleaned it. Outside in the rain, too. When done, I was careful to dry it thoroughly, including using a hair dryer to make sure no water was in the nooks and crannies. Then, I reinstalled the blade, and plugged in and fired up the saw. It didn't run.

The red and green light flashed alternately. Never had a problem before, so I dug out the manual to see what the code might be that they are flashing. A quick scan of the flashing light codes said to turn the switch off. OK, went back to the saw, turned the switch off then on again...same thing. Unplugged, waited a few, plugged in, turned on switch and same lights. Tried the overload button also with no luck. Getting late, so I went to bed.

Next morning, I tried it a couple more times with the same result, and finally went back to the manual and read it carefully this time. It said turn off the PADDLE SWITCH, and I had been turning on and off the small power switch. Well that made no sense, since I had never turned the paddle switch on. Why would I turn the paddle switch on when the power switch was yelling danger!

Anyhoo, I goes back to the saw, check the paddle switch, and I'll be doggoned (hint) if it wasn't on after all. Now, I absolutely know I never turned on the paddle switch. After a lot of looking at it, my hound dog comes up wanting to be petted.

That's when it hit me. When I was removing the blade to clean it, Pepper had squeezed between me and the front of the saw, looking for attention. She just happens to be the right height to flip the paddle from the back if she does that.

Problem solved. Pepper cleans the next blade.

20161129_154538.jpg

Moral of the story: Read the instructions, don't just scan them. Can't blame the mutt for that.
    Last edited by Rick Potter; 03-15-2020 at 3:07 AM.
    Rick Potter

DIY journeyman,
    FWW wannabe.
    AKA Village Idiot.

Awesome story!!
    Yea just blame the dog. I do it all the time.
    Needed a smile this morning.

I've had the power turn off a couple times to my PCS and had the same issue when I reset the breaker. But my hound dog has not flipped the paddle switch, yet. She is only about 12 inches tall but can certainly get to that height trying to get attention.

Great story Rick. We need something light once in a while. I don't have a shop dog to blame it on both of my Labs won't go in the shop. One is deathly afraid of any power tools especially anything Dewalt yellow.
    Michael Dilday
    Suffolk, Va.

Frustrating with a problem dogs you like that....
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

I had noticed that there is an "almost off" position with the paddle switch.

Blog Entries
    Love that story.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

This is the equivalent of the dog ate my homework excuse, but this time it was actually true!

Funny thing Michael,

I also have a yellow lab mix who doesn't like to be in the shop when the machines are running. The Fox Hound doesn't mind even when the router or DeWalt planer are running. She has a rug out of the way, and spends a lot of time there.
    Rick Potter

DIY journeyman,
    FWW wannabe.
    AKA Village Idiot.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Rick Potter View Post
    Funny thing Michael,

I also have a yellow lab mix who doesn't like to be in the shop when the machines are running. The Fox Hound doesn't mind even when the router or DeWalt planer are running. She has a rug out of the way, and spends a lot of time there.
    This pretty much describes my beast. She will put up with the darndest things just to be near me. Funny thing is she’s the wife’s dog.
    Last edited by glenn bradley; 03-15-2020 at 10:21 PM.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Pepper is one fine-looking dog!

That is a great story, and what a nice looking dog. I keep my dogs out of my shop

As an addendummy to the story, after cleaning the blade, I was still getting burning on oak, and broke out the dial indicator. My SawStop is 7 thou off square with the blade. I have been fiddling around with the fence, and the problem is actually table adjustment.

Thank goodness we oldsters are sequestered and have more time to adjust things. I even put a new sanding disk on the 12" sander today, as well as checking the table on my old Unisaw (almost perfect).
    Rick Potter

DIY journeyman,
    FWW wannabe.
    AKA Village Idiot.

Um,,,,so if you had not unplugged the saw Pepper would have started it with your hands on the blade?

Pepper is a great looking dog.

Other than for a while in the morning when I have my coffee at the computer desk in the shop, my pooch mostly plants herself just outside the shop door and waits for me. She will come in and get me if it gets to be past walk time and I don't come out if the door is open. She definitely knows the schedule.

She has never flipped any switches on machinery yet, but I wouldn't put it past her.