Thread: laser naugahyde or vinyl covered fabric?

laser naugahyde or vinyl covered fabric?

Any one know if there is any problem with cutting naugahyde on a laser? Is vinyl covered fabric a PVC product? thanks Lynn
    Last edited by Lynn Kull; 09-04-2004 at 2:23 PM. Reason: spelling

Vinyl is a petroleum product

Lynn,
    I own an upholstery business ( I have been in the upholstery business for 28 years.) Vinyl is a petroleum based Plastic. It is not PVC, ( although some of the mesh type fabric are PVC).
    With proper venting you should be able to cut vinyl with a laser, however I suspect that it may melt.
    On Tuesday, ( Sept 7th ) I will try some in my Pinnacle 25w laser and let you know what happens. I think that mostly it will smell bad, but it will work. I'll let you know

Chuck Burke
    Pacific LaZer Works

thanks Chuck

Thanks Chuck, I am just leary of burning PVC and am not very aware of what all products may be made with it? thanks Lynn

Vinyl

Lynn
    You are welcome. I am sure you will be fine, but I will check. The big issue with PVC is that it is toxic when burned, vinyl does not have that problem...but like I said, I will try some in my shop on Tuesday and let you know what I find.

Chuck

Pvc

Hi Lynn;
    Chuck is correct- lasering PVC produce chlorine gas which is toxic. In addition, the chlorine reacts with the moisture in the air to produce hydrochloric acid which is deadly on the laser components-will eat just about anything.
    George

6. Hi, Chuck,

What did you find with the upholstery vinyl? Can it be cut with a laser?

The specific product to not be cut is sheet PVC, and upholstery vinyl, as you point out, has very little actual PVC to it. Just wondering what you found.

Thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Burke View Post
    Lynn
    You are welcome. I am sure you will be fine, but I will check. The big issue with PVC is that it is toxic when burned, vinyl does not have that problem...but like I said, I will try some in my shop on Tuesday and let you know what I find.

Chuck

Barry this Thread is from 2004, that was how many years ago?????
    Retired Guy- Central Iowa.HVAC/R , Cloudray Galvo Fiber , -Windows 10

If the Help and advice you received here was of any VALUE to you PLEASE! Become a Contributor
    Rabbit RL_XX_6040-60 watt Laser engraving/cutting machine Oh wait its a 3D Printer my bad LOL
    Lasercut 5.3
    CorelDraw X5

10" Miter Saw with slide
    10" Table Saw
    8" bench mount 5 speed Drill Press
    Dremel, 3x21 Belt Sander

Barry, Chuck's profile says he hasnt been here in 8 years. So don't be disappointed if he doesn't answer your question. Perhaps someone else will.
    Last edited by Frederick Skelly; 03-29-2020 at 8:05 AM.
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”