Thread: What woods for spoons?

What woods for spoons?

I know this is a pretty stupid question, but I'd like to know what woods would be good for spoons.
    I know fruitwoods and nut woods are fine, but what else?

I'm thinking of carving all the spoons/spatulas/ladles for my car camping project...just for a nice touch.

I'm thinking of using port orford cedar to match my chopsticks from Muji.
    I have a fairly sizable stash of the stuff from when I was into building guitars...

I'd think you'd want something fine grained so it doesn't trap food particles. Maybe maple? cherry?

You are correct; pretty much all the fruit woods work well, including cherry. I have also used Maple, Birch, Beech, Myrtle, Mulberry, Osage Orange, Walnut, and a lot of random bits of wood I never could quite identify. Green wood works best. Woods that are medium hard once dry tend to be ideal.

I think you are on target with your notion of fruit and nut woods. I've mostly carved spoons from maple and cherry and been pleased with the results. That being said, my very favorite kitchen spoons are olive but they were store bought and not something I made. If memory serves me, Port Orford Cedar is good for making arrows; it would not be high on my list for spoons. I agree with Curt that fine grained is desirable and Casey is on target with green being easier to work though I ignore that advice regularly - I'm currently working on one for my sister that is cherry I salvaged from my mom's wood pile 30+ years ago. It would have been easier going a few months before I rescued it but sharp tools solve most problems. Have fun!

I've made spoons from cocobolo, pink flame (from Peru) and olive. All are fine grained and smooth and polish nicely without adding finish. I think dogwood would also be good due to it's density and fine grain but I haven't tried it yet. Dogwood is quite hard but I use power carvers to remove the bulk of the wood.

These are coffee scoops

coffee_scoops_PB010307sB.jpg coffee_scoops_PB044022comp_s.jpg

We've been using one daily for over a dozen years.

JKJ