Thread: Foldaway DW780 Dust Collection Box

Foldaway DW780 Dust Collection Box

I built this last fall, but didn't get around to completing the video until today.

I drag my miter saw out, mostly when I need to cut lengths of wood that I cannot do easily on my table saw.

As such I made myself a kind of temporary mitre saw setup. Most of the time I'm just cutting at 90 degrees so I designed the box for that mode only. I didn't want to have a big box to store, so I made it fold and be as compact as possible.

It works really well and I barely have any uncollected dust.

I like this for long term site work, where a shop quality set up would come in handy.

Although I do not have a miter saw, I do love to see well thought-out projects that are masterfully completed. Very well done!

I actually need to create/recreate something like this for my miter saw which now lives upstairs near my lumber storage. I need to at least contain the "stuff" so it's easy to clean up, but I have an extra, small shop vac available to do some inadequate-but-better-than-nothing collection if I at least establish a hood of some kind.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

I have a vacuum attached to my miter saw, which gets about half the dust. Maybe just a box behind my saw would contain the rest of the dust instead of just letting it go everywhere. Thanks for that.

I set the 4" dust port, on the collection box, directly in line with the dust tube on the DW780. That way, about 80% of what the DW780 creates and funnels through its dust tube goes straight into the DC hose.

The air, getting sucked in through the front of the box, captures the floaty type debris and that gets swallowed by the DC.

It works well, after a lot of cuts, I end up with about a cup full of sawdust inside the box and nothing one the front of the saw.

This was a bit of an experiment, if I was to make another, I'd probably skip the hinges and make it in panels that would probably join together, to form the box, with some dry 1/4" mortice and tenons. I'd probably make the panels, for the box out of 1/4" ply. I wouldn't worry about sealing the joints as there is plenty of air being sucked in, so no dust is going to bleed out of the joints.

Chris, could you tell me where you got the magnetic ends for the flexible hose? I think they would be very practical for me.

Fred
    https://magport.net/ reasonable price

Fastcap has a tent that looks pretty darn compactable.
    https://www.fastcap.com/product/chopshop-saw-hood

For this type of thing I often use cardboard, sometimes with a little wood reinforcement. It's quick, cheap and effective. It stores easily and can be reworked in short order. It can always be replaced with a more solid item as needed but in the meantime I have what I need.