Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Did the online USA census form, poorly designed format

I logged in quickly and easily. It was a bit of a pain going back and forth to the Next button, but other than that it was fine.

Could they have made a few improvements? Yes of course. Was it a big deal? No, it took me less than 10 minutes to complete our household of 4 people.

My wife and I just did it online. Quick and easy.
    The cursor kept hovering over the Delete button for her. She was watching too closely for me to do the deed.
    Never, under any circumstances, consume a laxative and sleeping pill, on the same night

I just completed my questionnaire after letting my mail sit for a few days in quarantine. I didn't notice any problems with the online format. Compared to some online forms the State of Illinois has required me to navigate, I'd give the census people an "A."

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Nuckles View Post
    I just completed my questionnaire after letting my mail sit for a few days in quarantine. I didn't notice any problems with the online format. Compared to some online forms the State of Illinois has required me to navigate, I'd give the census people an "A."
    My wife entered ours yesterday said the same thing, including the discriptor "easy peazy". She said it was clear and quick. She wondered if problems people had were related to the type of device they used. Or maybe they have changed things.

JKJ

I did ours the day after the form arrived in the mail. To me, it was quick and easy.
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

I too wonder if it depends on device. I just did it, keeping Bill's complaint in mind (at the bottom, way right), and didn't feel it unreasonable. Yes, I was mostly done at the top of the page (white biased much?) and had to scroll passed the other choices, but since most were check one or more or select best match making me look at all the choices is reasonable.

I didn't much like their race questions. My usual America Mutt didn't seem to be allowed, so I went with the earliest arriving ancestors from my & my wife's family legends. Pretty sure there's other stuff mixed in since the mid-late-1600's and, in my wife's case, it's "known" the family legend was significantly edited by the early immigrants to assimilate more easily.

Blog Entries
    My wife and I did ours, it took less than 5 minutes. I hand to move my hand less than two inches to move the cursor from the top left to the lower right. Not a big deal in my mind.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

We got a second form that appears identical to the first. In the boiler plate is a sentence that says if you've already completed the first one there's no need to do the second.

Just did it, quick and easy, no glitches or complaints. No, it doesn't look like a site that's been through umpty rounds of testing and refinement, but it was easy and completely functional, I'd just as soon not pay for elegance, we have better things to spend our tax dollars on right now.

Compared to trying to search with any precision on Amazon it was a dream. (my current pet peeve)

I was surprised at how short it was. I remember them asking all sorts of questions in the past, including how many toilets you had in your home.

Quote Originally Posted by Stan Calow View Post
    I was surprised at how short it was. I remember them asking all sorts of questions in the past, including how many toilets you had in your home.
    I think there's a "short form" and a "long form," and only a sub-set of the population is asked to complete the long form - I think our family got the long form in 2000.

I originally agreed with the OP's analysis. I used a very old iPad with IOS 10.3.4. Months if not years out of date. Device will not support updates. Browser was Chrome and my device no longer supports the latest version of that. Since others did not experience problems it was likely my issue. Sorry "Big Brother" for maligning you.
    My three favorite things are the Oxford comma, irony and missed opportunities

The problem with humanity is: we have paleolithic emotions; medieval institutions; and God-like technology. Edward O. Wilson

Blog Entries
    I will wait for the form in the mail.

I got the letter last week addressed to me at my address, went online same day filled it out , no problems, ez. Yesterday I got a new letter, different code but addressed to resident at my address, do I fill it out again ?
    Sometimes we see what we expect to see, and not what we are looking at! Scott

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Donley View Post
    I got the letter last week addressed to me at my address, went online same day filled it out , no problems, ez. Yesterday I got a new letter, different code but addressed to resident at my address, do I fill it out again ?
    No. Instructions say you might get a second letter, but not to fill out the form again.