Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Did the online USA census form, poorly designed format

My biggest problem is if you choose not to provide something then it stops it won't let you not answer a question. I can't for the life of me figure out why they want my phone number. I thought a census is to figure out how many people there are. I'll tell them that but that's all they need to know a far as I'm concerned. I'm now waiting for the mail in form were I can answer or not answer to my liking . LOL
    Thats one of my biggest pet peeve's is mandatory questions on surveys, soon as I hit one I delete the whole thing.
    If the Help and advice you received here was of any VALUE to you PLEASE! Become a Contributor
    Rabbit RL_XX_6040-60 watt Laser engraving/cutting machine Oh wait its a 3D Printer my bad LOL
    Lasercut 5.3
    CorelDraw X5

10" Miter Saw with slide
    10" Table Saw
    8" bench mount 5 speed Drill Press
    Dremel, 3x21 Belt Sander

Quote Originally Posted by Bert Kemp View Post
    My biggest problem is if you choose not to provide something then it stops it won't let you not answer a question. I can't for the life of me figure out why they want my phone number. I thought a census is to figure out how many people there are. I'll tell them that but that's all they need to know a far as I'm concerned. I'm now waiting for the mail in form were I can answer or not answer to my liking . LOL
    Thats one of my biggest pet peeve's is mandatory questions on surveys, soon as I hit one I delete the whole thing.
    I tested a "workaround", but ended up putting in my phone number. I used to, when asked for a phone number online, use my area code, then 555-1212. That would have worked here. As for race, it accepted "Other/Human".

I agree that the form was fairly clumsy, but I pretty much expect that of every website these days, and am surprised if it's not.
    Jason

"Don't get stuck on stupid." --Lt. Gen. Russel Honore

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Dufour View Post
    The first question was to type in your your 12 DIGIT secret code that came in the mail. Problem is it is not 12 DIGITS. Many will be confused since it is 12 CHARECTERS. About half of the digits are letters.
    Huh. I feel left out, because I did the survey online and it went without a hitch. I guess I'll have to consult my dictionary next time. What's "pedantic" mean?

Quote Originally Posted by Bert Kemp View Post
    My biggest problem is if you choose not to provide something then it stops it won't let you not answer a question. I can't for the life of me figure out why they want my phone number.
    .................................................. ......................
    Phone number? 8675309 For a good time call .........

I'm waiting for the paper mail-in version. I don't want them poking around my computer looking at all my files. If they want to do that they'll have to work a little harder than getting me to fall for an "on-line" census form....

Blog Entries
    I have no idea how these results are reported to the state headquarters.
    Once they have all the results in an air gapped computer system the results could be called in or even brought to another machine by what is often referred to as 'sneaker net.' This is when it is placed on a thumb drive or other media and brought to another machine to transfer.

The census went fairly easy for me online. My two letters with the 12 digit code was misplaced so there was a provision for an address.

Sure, it wasn't pretty and sexy, but it is likely something that the majority of people can handle whether they are entering the information via phone, pad, laptop or desktop computer no matter what browser a person might choose to use. That is a major consideration when we have so much variety in our technology today. Most of the time my machine is running two browsers simultaneously. Some sites load better in Safari, some do better with Chrome. My Firefox is so old it seems to have a problem with everything.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Quote Originally Posted by Jacob Reverb View Post
    Huh. I feel left out, because I did the survey online and it went without a hitch. I guess I'll have to consult my dictionary next time. What's "pedantic" mean?

The definition of pedantic is someone who is very concerned with the details of a subject and tends to overly show off their knowledge. An example of someone who is pedantic is a person at a party who bores everyone while talking at length about the origin and details of a particular piece of pottery.
    If the Help and advice you received here was of any VALUE to you PLEASE! Become a Contributor
    Rabbit RL_XX_6040-60 watt Laser engraving/cutting machine Oh wait its a 3D Printer my bad LOL
    Lasercut 5.3
    CorelDraw X5

10" Miter Saw with slide
    10" Table Saw
    8" bench mount 5 speed Drill Press
    Dremel, 3x21 Belt Sander