Thread: Bowls for charity?

Bowls for charity?

My bowl gift giving has reached the point that I've run out family and friends to torture. The trouble is I enjoy turning bowls. So what to do? Since my wife is active in a charity that has fundraisers throughout the year I thought why not offer them for sale at some of those events. Seems like a win win to me. I get to make more bowls or other woodturning items, her charity might make a buck or two and if the later is the case I might get a few brownie points and justification for all of the time and money I'm accused of wasting. What do you think?

I think it is a great idea. Every year for the last 5 or 6 I have made four bowls for charity auctions. One at our church and the other for a shelter that my sister is active on their board. It feels good to contribute. You will get a nice thank you note and perhaps a tax deduction. It also is a neat way to determine the value of your bowls to other people, and sometimes get commissions from individual who saw your bowl at the auction but wanted something a little different. One interesting thing is that similar bowls will sell for 9 to 10 times as much at my sisters fund raiser than at our church. Her's is in a tourist area and is supported by business leaders. Also a much larger audience. You can also get a big head and start thinking your work is better than it really is. I had two bullet pens go for $400 a peace. Of course it was at an event to raise money for a newborn who required major heart surgery. The family and friends came knowing that they were donating to a good cause. The auction just made it fun. On the commercial side, I have met a collector who likes my stuff at my sister's events. She will purchase every piece I offer. Of course I only offer my better work, but it has been good for my tool budget.

I made one and raffled it off at work. It was a big hit. People still appreciate handmade items .

Our club participants in several fundraisers each year. We've been told that our donations are always a hit and now guests look forward to seeing what wooden items we donate. We put a dollar value on each piece as a starting point for the auction, and also for our tax deduction receipt they give us.

In addition to several annual fundraisers our club also collects bowls every month for donating to Beads Of Courage. If you go to the BOC website (beadsofcourage.org) there is more information on donating.

We have a charity craft shop in town, they sell quite a bit of stuff from local crafts people to support a variety of local causes and give the artists back about half the selling price, which pretty well covers wood and sandpaper purchases. A win-win!

Also consider supporting Empty Bowls if it is active in your area. They give a bowl to everyone who comes to their fundraising dinners and auction off the best bowls that are donated to raise money to feed the hungry. Each year I give them a big stack of bowls that didn't make the cut for one reason and another and they are very appreciative-- around here hand made wooden bowls (even bad ones) are a novelty and much appreciated. It's a good thing to do with bowls that are too good to throw away but not good enough to sell.

There seems to be a national Empty Bowls event to benefit the local Food Banks. Our club regularly donates bowls to that auction. Many other charitable organizations do the same thing, like the Humane Society and animal rehab places. That could keep you busy for a long while.... As for getting a tax break, some have that designation and can give you a receipt, but the tax man only allows you to deduct direct costs, which is minimal. You can't but good will though...

robo hippy

I donate approx. 12 to 16 pieces a year to fundraisers, mostly Cancer fundraisers. It helps me justify all the money I spend in my shop. If you offer to one organization, others will approach you. Many times my pieces are top earners at raffles or silent auctions. I don't sell anything so it helps me feel like I'm doing something productive.
    I've got lots of practice at making firewood!

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Mathews View Post
    My bowl gift giving has reached the point that I've run out family and friends to torture. The trouble is I enjoy turning bowls. So what to do? Since my wife is active in a charity that has fundraisers throughout the year I thought why not offer them for sale at some of those events. Seems like a win win to me. I get to make more bowls or other woodturning items, her charity might make a buck or two and if the later is the case I might get a few brownie points and justification for all of the time and money I'm accused of wasting. What do you think?
    Good idea. Some other things to do with extra bowls.

Donate to Assisted Living or nursing homes. They can often use bowls in common sitting or social areas. Some of these places have multiple floors and could make use of more than one.

Give one to your nurse or doctor, pastor, mail carrier, policeman, or USP driver! Do it anonymously. I've given some of my small platters to neighbors. A friendly gesture when a new family moves into the neighborhood.

Make lidded bowls for the Beads of Courage program for kids with cancer.

Ask your local resource people (churches, food pantry's, meals on wheels, home medical care organizations) to take bowls to people who have no resources and could never buy one. It might brighten up their lives to receive a nice turned bowl for a gift! Even small bowls are great and often best for people with little space.

The clubs I belong to offer donated things to sell for charities.

Offer to turn a bowl in exchange for some nice wood you might see on the ground as you drive through neighborhoods.

JKJ

Quote Originally Posted by Pat Scott View Post
    We put a dollar value on each piece as a starting point for the auction, and also for our tax deduction receipt they give us.
    As Reed pointed out, the IRS allows a charitable deduction only for your cost of producing the donated item, not its fair market value. That is true even if your charitable organization gives you a receipt for the larger amount.

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Nuckles View Post
    As Reed pointed out, the IRS allows a charitable deduction only for your cost of producing the donated item, not its fair market value. That is true even if your charitable organization gives you a receipt for the larger amount.
    My cost to make items is pretty high!

Quote Originally Posted by Pat Scott View Post
    My cost to make items is pretty high!
    If only the IRS would allow me to deduct some value for my time in producing a piece, I could save a LOT on taxes!