Thread: Red Oak Ceiling

Red Oak Ceiling

I am building my own house and we wanted a unique wood ceiling in the main living area. It is a single slope from 9' up to 13.5' on the high side, the room is 18.5' x 37'. I bought red oak #3 grade tounge and groove flooring. I gave it a quick sand with my palm sander with 220 sandpaper to take off the grade marks. The then put on a 1 heavy coat of boiled linseed oil and wiped off the excess after 15-30 minutes, and let it dry for 24-48 hours and put it on the ceiling.

We really like the color it turned out, a lot of variations and we like the overall sheen. A few boards look spotty but only when a hanging light glares at an angle, looks good looking at it straight. The longer it's up it has seemed to dull somewhat for lack of a better word but stands out more with the lights off. I trying to decide if I should put a oil based satin polyurethane or satin spar urethane over it. But I am way over my timeline already will 1 be enough? Or another product?

It's dulling because the BLO is drying out. You could put another coat or 2 or 3 but they will all dry out eventually and if you do manage to fill the grain so that some remains on the surface it will likely be sticky for a very long time and still be spotty. I think you are on the right track by switching to OB poly if you want it to have an even sheen for the long haul. I would be thinking about one of the floor finishes applied with a wide applicator if possible.

John

Quote Originally Posted by John TenEyck View Post
    It's dulling because the BLO is drying out. You could put another coat or 2 or 3 but they will all dry out eventually and if you do manage to fill the grain so that some remains on the surface it will likely be sticky for a very long time and still be spotty. I think you are on the right track by switching to OB poly if you want it to have an even sheen for the long haul. I would be thinking about one of the floor finishes applied with a wide applicator if possible.

John
    A floor applicator on a ceiling? My mental picture of a floor applicator is a squeegee-ish blade with a mop handle so it can be used while standing. Does that work overhead?

Like a lambswool pad?

Yes, a lambwool pad.

Take some of the cutoffs that have the BLO on them and try the poly on it to make sure you like it before doing the whole ceiling.

John

Agree with John, the ceiling is definitely not the place to experiment further. Test a few finishes on a few sq ft each and give it a couple of weeks to mature before you decide.

Thank you for the suggestions, I will get some test pieces started. I have the bathroom floors to tile and kitchen cabinets to finish before the ceiling has to be completed so I can put the laminate down.