Thread: New To Hand Tools: What I Learned From A Six Day Foundational Class

New To Hand Tools: What I Learned From A Six Day Foundational Class

Sharpen Your Tools
    Use Your Chisels to Measure and Set Marking Gauges
    Use a Knife for Marking Lines
    Use a .5mm Pencil on the Knife Marking Lines
    Make a Knife Wall with Knife and Chisel to Help With Sawing and Mortising
    Leave the Line (Or Half of It)
    Saw and Plane to the Line. Leave The Line!
    Lead With the Bevel When Chiseling Mortises to Make a Ramp
    Use a Mallet to Split a Tenon Wall After Forming a Shoulder With a Saw Neat Trick)

I’ve been a woodworker for 40 plus years and shunned hand tools for anything that could plug in. So this 6 day course opened my eyes to the Paul Seller’s methods. We did not use gloves, push sticks, masks, or eye protection (except when using the grinder for sharpening). We made shavings and chips not dust.

The six day class was a little like Karate Kid in that we practiced marking, sawing, planing, and chiseling for a couple days before using those skills to make dovetails, mortises, and tenons. And eventually 3 pieces of simple furniture.

The instruction was nearly identical to watching a Paul Sellers video so those methods must be fairly commonplace. The mortise technique was a challenge but after a few days I finally got the mechanics of the ramp. The splitting a tenon technique was brilliant. I found I could make a mortise and tenon faster and more accurate than with a table saw. I still need practice sawing.

The school was Homestead Heritage in Waco Texas and I would give it high marks for the quality and patience of the instructors and the school-supplied tools.
    Regards,

Tom

Paul Sellers used to teach at Homestead Heritage, so that may be the commonality

I'm a mixed-use hobbyist - machine and hand tool projects. I attended the same class in Elm Mott, TX (near Waco) Several years ago. To me, well worth the time and money. I've done all "hand-tool" projects with only handtools (except for a chainsaw), but I don't recall ever doing a "machine" project that I didn't also use hand tools.

I'd also highly recommend the JD Lohr "Practical Woodworking" class in Schwenksville, PA. Hand tools and machines in great surroundings.

I use something I learned from these two classes every time I step into my shop.

Blog Entries
    Use a Mallet to Split a Tenon Wall After Forming a Shoulder With a Saw Neat Trick)
    [edited]
    The splitting a tenon technique was brilliant. I found I could make a mortise and tenon faster and more accurate than with a table saw. I still need practice sawing.
    Could you expand on this a bit?

tia,

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Koepke View Post
    Could you expand on this a bit?
    Here Jim

"If you have all your fingers, you can convert to Metric"

Blog Entries
    I made two rocking chairs in Paul Sellers classes at Homestead Heritage. Some of the old teachers are still there.
    Google Brazos Rocker.

You don't always leave the line. Sometimes you take the line (but nothing more).

Blog Entries
    Thanks Hilton, that was my expectation as to what was meant. The chisel in the process was left out of Thomas' post so it made me think there might be another trick at hand.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Blog Entries
    Eye protection is not limited to power tools. Anytime you strike something, spoil can go flying. Wear eye protection anyway.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Kudos on taking the leap into instruction.
    The nicest thing about repetition is you will have a skill set that no longer requires complicated set up.

Does Frank mention using power tools for "donkey work" preparing rough lumber for joinery?

Lastly - bench height is key to comfortably managing these tasks; the 9 day course I took had a bench nearly 4" too high for me to comfortably mortise in Oak.

Congrats on discoovering hand tools! I use both machines and hand tools. I find that being able to shift from one to the other gives me more flexibility and options - sometimes it is just easier/faster to use a handsaw or a chisel. And I almost never use sandpaper since I learned how to tune, use and sharpen a smoothing plane.

Enjoy the journey!
    Fred
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”

In that video it looks to me like Paul Sellers is using an Aldi chisel. Just sayin'!

Yep, and he has a full drawer of them, too. I only have 2 sets, though.

Have switched to Narex Mortise chisels, for chopping mortises. Still using the Aldi's, too.....for other jobs. Just saying...

Blog Entries
    Tom , glad you had a good experience learning the basics of hand tools. I really applaud your willingness to enroll in a class to get fundamental instruction . I’m sure this foundational knowledge will serve you well as you broaden your hand tool skills. Don’t be afraid to reach out for suggestions as you consider new techniques/tools etc.

I really enjoyed our time together and you’re always welcome in my shop! Please stay in touch.

Best, Mike