Thread: Mixing Stains Causing Separation

Sault Ste. Marie, Ontaio ... sister city to Sault Ste. Marie, MI

Mixing Stains Causing Separation

I am refinishing an antique dining room table. After lots of color testing I created a custom color by mixing two Varathane oil stains … colonial maple and light walnut. The stain is applying well and the results so far are very nice.

I assumed there would be no issue mixing stains from the same manufacturer. What is concerning me is that after sitting overnight the two different stains separate very obviously. Of course I mix them well again before usage.

My question is whether or not this mixing will cause any issues later. Should I be sealing the stain before subsequent oil based top coating?

Thank you.

Gary
    Last edited by Gary Fera; 03-14-2020 at 12:24 AM. Reason: Fixed title

Blog Entries
    I did exactly the same thing with the office furniture I recently built using two Minwax stains. As you have noted they separated over night. I made my pieces of two months and can see no difference in color between the first piece made and the last. I was careful to mix the stain each time before using it. I even had to mix up a second batch to finish using the same carefully measure proportions and it worked just fine.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

Sault Ste. Marie, Ontaio ... sister city to Sault Ste. Marie, MI
    Quote Originally Posted by Lee Schierer View Post
    I did exactly the same thing with the office furniture I recently built using two Minwax stains. As you have noted they separated over night. I made my pieces of two months and can see no difference in color between the first piece made and the last. I was careful to mix the stain each time before using it. I even had to mix up a second batch to finish using the same carefully measure proportions and it worked just fine.
    Thanks, Lee your feedback is encouraging. I am mixing very well each time I use it. I hope I will use carefully measured proportions. Even if I am off a bit I should be okay because I am doing the table skirt with one mix and the table top with the second mix.

Gary