Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Redsign a tool storage spot

My Dad loved the Skil 6 1/2" circular saw...He liked the light weight of the saw coupled with power and accuracy.
    Few years ago, I found one for sale and bought it in memory of my beloved Dad...
    A good saw.
    Jerry

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Olexa View Post
    My Dad loved the Skil 6 1/2" circular saw...He liked the light weight of the saw coupled with power and accuracy.
    Few years ago, I found one for sale and bought it in memory of my beloved Dad...
    A good saw.
    My deceased father (2004) also had a 6-1/2" saw he used for everything, though not a Skilsaw. My brother moved his smaller tools to his garage after he passed, and it is probably in there. Like you, I would love to get hold of it. To you and Bandit, thanks for the memory!
    If the thunder don't get you, the lightning will.

I almost said "hey Steve, I will come over and take some of that off your hands", but, true to your generous heart, you would give me a bunch of stuff then I would need to figure out where to put it

Will be curious to see what you do with your chisels. I have four or five wooden cases that contain sets of chisels (a set might be from many different makers, and types, depending), and then they stack easily and I know where they are. All of my hand planes are currently in a large drawer. Well, most of them anyway.

had to run out to the Blue BORG for 2 boards....$15.50....a 1 x 4 x 6' and a 1 x 10 x 6'......other day I bought 14 boards, for 45 buck and change. Menard's pine vs Lowes pine....except...the two 1 x 4 x 4' I bought at Menard's...turned out to be hunting bows in disguise....

The 1 x 10 from today's trip....will replace two 1 x 10 x 4' that are a bit too knot infested.....
    Clamps will be coming off the big panel after a bit....then will try to get the top, bottom, and 2 sides glued up....without too much cussing

Will use the back panel to help size the side panels for rough length...I hope...

always have to run out to get more materials...I know that feeling...altho I tend to "overbuy" most times.
    Jerry

What the new 1 x 4 replaced..I placed these two 1 x 4s between my desk and a table...
    bad pine 2.JPG
    Ah...but it get worse..
    Bad pine 1.JPG
    When you look in from my chair...and can about pass my hand between these two....methinks these will be heading back to where they came from....2 good replacements, a refund..or a bottle of Mountain Dew ( 20 oz is about the same price as these two boards were, combined)

Well..shop time, coming up....clamps are due to come off....I need to be there to catch them....

OK, back to the shop...clamps came off, nothing flew apart....only "Creaks" came from me...trying to move this thing...LOTS of C clamps, too..
    Tool Cabinet build, pile of clamps.JPG
    Just pile them up...set the panel onto the floor, the way it will be once it is set up in place..
    Tool Cabinet build, back panel unlamped.JPG
    This is the view, when you open the doors....IF you can see past all the tools...
    Tool Cabinet build, layout mark.JPG
    Used one of the good 1 x 4s, to layout where the sides will be, so I can cut the top and bottoms to the right length....
    Tool Cabinet build, large jack plane.JPG
    used this, along with the Stanley #7c to joint the edges for a dry fit..
    Tool Cabinet build, dry fit, top panel.JPG
    Then did a glue up..
    Tool Cabinet build, top panel glued up.JPG
    Then repeat......cut to length, joint the edges, clamps, glue, and cauls...then set both aside until tomorrow
    Tool Cabinet build, top and bottom in the clamps.JPG
    Then hauled a couple more 1 x 10s and 1 x 4s to the shop...and get those ready to go. 1 x 10s needed trimmed a bit....one was trimmed at both ends...splits from a knot at each end.
    Tool Cabinet build, side pieces.JPG
    Leave these clamped together til I need them.....warp will stay away, that way....

Stay tuned...we be on lock-down...guess I could open the shop on a Monday?

Panels are out of the clamps, and assembled...
    Tool Cabinet build, last side done.JPG
    needed to clear all of this stuff out of my way..
    Tool Cabinet build, needs to leave.JPG
    The old drill til needed to go, too...
    Tool Cabinet build, foot pads installed.JPG
    I screwed a couple foot pads in place....then the "FUN" began...
    Tool Cabinet build, case in place.JPG
    case is fastened down to those two pads...along with a couple 3" long screws through the pads and into the old tabletop below...WHEW....
    Had to slide the drill press to the left a few inches....to get some clearance for the handles...
    Tool Cabinet build, power strip, chuck key...JPG
    hang the chain for the chuck key...and add that powerstrip...

Maybe tomorrow, I can start work on hangers for all of this mess..
    Tool Cabinet build, needs hangers....JPG
    I did save all the cut-offs, so I can use them to make some hangers with...I also salvaged the rack the brace drills sat in....along with the rest of the drill til parts..
    Get the hangers made, THEN I can start work on the doors...hhhmmmmm, think I need a light inside the case?

Stay tuned...

Hmmm, something missing?
    Tool Cabinet build, where they go....JPG
    Couple of things here, too?
    Tool Cabinet build, something missing here.JPG
    Maybe over there, to the right?
    Tool Cabinet build, long view.JPG
    Seems to be filling up?
    Tool Cabinet build, empty places.JPG
    Still a few open spots, though...
    Tool Cabinet build, left corner.JPG
    This corner is getting full..
    Tool Cabinet build, lower level.JPG
    Need to build a couple doors, so I can hang a couple saws...
    Tool Cabinet build, filling up.JPG
    Not sure about hanging those two smaller saws....
    Tool Cabinet build, c clamp storage.JPG
    C clamps have their own "hang-out" spot..

It's a start,,,and a Work in Progress....will see about some doors ..maybe tomorrow....
    Stay tuned...( and play "Name that tool" while you are waiting..)

waiting on a couple 1 x 4s, so I can build the two doors.....so...maybe a 5 cent tour of things....if anyone is that bored?
    Tool Cabinet Tour, bottom left corner.JPG
    Bottom left corner. Top box is the Stanley #71-1/2, bottom box is the Stanley #45...then looking up into the left hand corner...
    Tool Cabinet Tour, upper left corner.JPG
    BIG brace is a Stanley #730-14. And a few other "odds & ends"....then the middle of the cabinet...
    Tool Cabinet Tour, center area.JPG
    Kind of full, looking down..
    Tool Cabinet Tour, waiting on a door.JPG
    These 2 are sitting around, waiting on a door to get made, so they can hang out...On to the right hand corner...
    Tool Cabinet Tour, upper right corner.JPG
    The sliding bevels squares are sitting on screws, that I had to reduce the size of their heads...
    Tool Cabinet Tour, bottom right corner.JPG
    Bottom of the right corner. Made a rack to house the expansive bits (5)...the long, fancy box is filled with hardware. Screws, hinges, latches, nails...that sort of things.

been a few new arrivals come down to the shop....
    Tool Cabinet Tour, new arrivals.JPG
    The 2 dovetail saws are also hanging in that red rack.

Need to sneak down to the BORG for a couple sticks of Pine...straight ones, this time.

Hope you enjoyed the tour...

Wow Steven,

It looks pretty organized, and there are a lot of tools in not a very big spot. Also it looks like you don't have a bunch of extra tools just cluttering up the storage area. I am pretty impressed.

Stew

Thanks.....waiting on the go ahead to get a couple boards from Lowes....then I can complete this build. Then see what else I need to cobble up....

Ok...a little shop time, for now (nothing else to do....) hauled 2 planks to the shop....marked one for length,. then use it as a pattern for the other plank....trying to cut the worst off the ends...Then, clamped the two planks together, face to face
    Tool Cabinet build, door panels jointed.JPG
    use the smaller jointer, to try to joint the edges..
    Tool Cabinet build, jointer #6c.JPG
    Stanley No. 6 c, has 2 patent dates...Type 9/10....was working, just not enough...so...
    Tool Cabinet build, two jointers.JPG
    Olde Heft & Hubris No. 8, Type 7 was put to work....panels are 36" long...should be enough for this plane...then glue, clamp, cauls, clamp cauls....
    Tool Cabinet build, cauls.JPG
    Used a thin shim, to get a little more of the end clamp's pads onto the panel...shelf under the bench was in the way..

Taking a "Warts and all" approach..
    Tool Cabinet build, glue up , knots.JPG
    About shoots using the bench for the day....I found a couple parking spaces...for some extras...
    Tool Cabinet build, spares parking spaces.JPG
    Stanley No. 5-1/2, type 17, and that Stanley No. 6c, type 10.....there is a Millers Falls No. 15 in the til, beside the Stanley No. 6, type 9.....

That be it for today..stay tuned...

Was out and about this afternoon...had to mail the rent check. Decided to then sneak down to Lowes at the south end of town...and picked through to find three boards as straight as I could....and three 1 x 4 x 6' Pine boards came home with me....Should be enough to build the frames for the doors...

Tried to make a Pine insert, the can be used to hang the Disston D8 (no hyphen) Panel saw onto the door.....last swipe on the beltsander machine....and it tried to eat one of my fingers.....platten stopped the finger from going too far....
    Last edited by steven c newman; 03-27-2020 at 11:53 AM.

Ok....5 people in the house, no sign of any virus....but....the others ARE getting a bit GRUMPY, from being cooped up so long....I think I'll just go and hide out in the shop, today....

Camera battery needed charged up. Waiting on that, and a bit of Lunch ( besides pills..)

have so far...removed the clamps from the last glue-up...needed to know what sizes were needed, lengthwise...for the 1 x 4s to be cut to. Had to clear away a bunch of "junk" to get to the Stanley #358 mitre box, and then make a couple cuts....

Film @ 2300 hrs....