Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Redsign a tool storage spot

Quote Originally Posted by steven c newman View Post
    As soon as I get healed up...I intend to sort through the "extras".....ones that do not work anymore...toss. Ones that do work, and be of use to another woodworker..I pass along, as a "Paying it forward" option. I intend to pare the tool kit down quite a bit...will save time digging around for the tool I need for a task....Will keep some as "parts" to fix any tools that happen to break.

Planes: I happen to have almost every size in either a smooth sole, or a grooved sole....and can keep testing to see which works best on what wood. Will see how the #3c, the #4c, the #6c and the #7c hold up, against the #3, #4, #6, and the #7....

However...what is a person to do, when at the next yard sale, they find a Stanley #3, type 11....for $5.....tain't fair....
    We're very weak, Bandit! I've tried that many times, then I come across this D16 that I have to have, even though I have a dozen already. Or find another washita, or a plum bob (did I mention the hundreds of plumb bobs that have taken up residence with me?).
    If the thunder don't get you, the lightning will.

I finally got the motivation and did it. IMG_3285[1].jpgIMG_3286.jpgIMG_3288.jpgIMG_3290.jpgIMG_3291.jpg

Mind if I steal a few ideas from this? Already have a plane til...and a handsaw til....

Hmm have 5 coping saws...which ones to keep....the Atkins.....the Stanleys....or the Disston/HK Porters...? One deep and one normal reach....

3 spokeshaves too many?

Most of the user chisels are "housed" along the back of the bench....
    Clear the bench. all done.JPG
    May dedicate a shelf for the items in their own wood cases....may need more than one...
    Cases, storage shelf.JPG
    Day after face-planting....wow, am I still stiff and sore....nose still wants to leak a bit...
    Kitchen floor project, imapct zone.JPG
    Bent those glasses up enough, that I am going to have to get a new pair. getting too old and creaky, to be working down on my knees.....flooring may go the same route as roofs did....have someone else do the work, while I play Straw Boss....
    Last edited by steven c newman; 03-16-2020 at 4:06 PM.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by carey mitchell View Post
    Carrie well done! Looks like terrific shop/tool organization! Thanks for sharing.

Best, Mike

Rooh-kay, Raggy...sorting out a few tools, today....
    Shop cabinet Project, sorted out.JPG
    Rest were stashed away...went through, found ones that WORK, and with tips I can use...even one I can quick change the tip. A single #135, and three #130 Stanleys...and then my single #131A
    Shop cabinet Project, keepers 1.JPG
    Aka, "walking stick" for them really BIG jobs.

Push drills? decided to keep 3, and stash the other 2...
    Shop cabinet Project, keepers 2.JPG
    Since the Yankee tips and the Millers Falls tips can't be switched between the other drills....kept the ones with the most tips.

Squares? Cleaned up the combo squares..
    Shop cabinet Project, squares 1.JPG
    may just keep the Stanley Handyman one....best of the 3. The 2 smaller ones are keepers. often use both at the same time.
    Shop cabinet Project, which chucks 1.JPG
    Next..need to sort out these braces....by size and by chucks...question is..
    Shop cabinet Project, which chucks 2.JPG
    Which chucks. barbers, holdalls ( the Samson will be a keeper).....maybe 2 of the 6" sweeps, an 8"...and a 10"....Will be keeping the 12" (samson) and the 14" Stanley....or, is that too many?

Chisel rehabs today....
    Shop cabinet Project, handles.JPG
    large one is a Union Hardware M. Co......there is that Stanley No.60......and a Buck Brothers....One got an entire new wood handle, and one had it's handle fixed up. Will see where I can store these..
    Shop cabinet Project, chisel rehabs 1.JPG
    Stay tuned....May take all day tomorrow, to sort out the best of the 14 braces....( last count....there is also a Goodell Pratt Co. breast drill, with the chain drill...)

Ok..brace drills and one Egg Beater....had a few to toss out...
    Drill sorting, the tossed ones.JPG
    2 with green circles are from Germany...one was marked "H.S. 102" and is the 10" one on the right. The red circle? Made in JAPAN....when you see those two lines on the head...walk away, it is held in by potmetal threaded inserts. There was also a clone of the Stanley 945-8...handle was frozen solid...tossed it. 5 drills tossed.

Stanley #945-8
    Drill sorting, Stanley 945-8, 1.JPGDrill sorting, Stanley 945-8, 2.JPG
    Debating on which one to keep of these 2....Stanley No. 730-14?
    Drill sorting, Stanley #730-14.JPG
    Save this for them BIG jobs...14" sweep! For something a bit smaller..
    Drill sorting, Stanley # X3 6in.JPG
    Stanley # X3 6in, sold to the USA O.D. ( United States Army Ordinance Department)
    There is the KK version...
    Drill sorting, KK KB6 (MF 1054-6).JPG
    Use this as a pilot hole drill. There is another KK ( Keen Kutter) brace..
    Drill sorting, KK N104, MF 1053-10.JPG
    #N 104....10". And a SAMSON 8012, by P. S.& W.
    Drill sorting, ps&w 8012.JPG
    12" sweep....Samson chuck.
    Stay tuned...

Now, there are a few Goodell Pratt Co. drills in the shop....beside the #477 breast drill....not sure IF the M-F #22 is related ..
    Drill sorting, M-F #22.JPG
    To the G-P #408..
    Drill sorting, G-P #408, 8in.JPG
    The 408 had that loop to shift forward or reverse...May keep it around....or, just use the Stanley 945-8?
    The "other" Goodell Pratt Co. drill is a #329...
    Drill sorting, G-P #329 crank.JPG Drill sorting, G-P #329, handle bolt.JPG
    That I need to fix the bolt holding the top handle in place...and find a collar for the wood part.

May add it to the other 3 "keepers" of egg beaters....maybe?

Squares...have cleaned a few up...the all metal try squares have been stashed away...will sort through the wooden handled ones..tomorrow.

Maybe keep the two 6" drills, at least 2 of the 8" and 10" drills, and the two biggems....question is, which ones...of the 8" and 10" size to keep...

I keep saying "I'm going to thin out" or I have too much stuff, duplicates... BUT then this attractive low priced gem in the rough appears and it follows me home... No self control
    Jerry

Jerry,

You are not alone in that. A few years ago a garage sale came up with tons of pretty good hand saws at almost give away prices and I bought around a half dozen. These are ones I did not/do not need. I will end up giving them, or others I already had, away to close friends or family.

Stew

Quote Originally Posted by Stew Denton View Post
    You are not alone in that. A few years ago a garage sale came up with tons of pretty good hand saws at almost give away prices and I bought around a half dozen. These are ones I did not/do not need. I will end up giving them, or others I already had, away to close friends or family.
    I had some planes that I was able to clean up and make work that were given to me in thanks for my helping them with some things. I gave them away to someone else who needed them. Steve has given me some things that he had too many of and I did not. I have a small plane with a now wicked sharp blade on it because of that.

I do need to either replace my #8 or make it work. I think I can make it work by widening the mouth a bit, I have just not gotten around to given that a try.

The egg beater Goodell Pratt Company drill had a few "issues" corrected, today..

Where the wooden hand meets the steel shaft..
    Drill sorting, G-P #329, handle bolt.JPG
    There wasn't a ferrel. There WAS a bolt and a square nut, where some one had drilled all the way through...including the threaded insert for the handle to screw onto the shaft...Had to grind the peened bolt out of the nut, and drive the remains out. I also found a metal ferrel to add to the wood handle. had to blend things out a bit. Screwed the handle in place,,,then made a "pin" to lock the threaded rod in place..
    Drill sorting, GP rehab, ferrel, bolt.JPG
    Handle is nor rock solid. Will fill in a few spots around the pin, later.
    Crank: has the wrong bolt..
    Drill sorting, logo, countersink.JPG
    Thought just doing a counter sink to the hole would help....nope....have since added a #10 x 24 machine bolt, cut to the right length. Once the wheel has a new coat of red paint....I can get a better picture....

I found a second logo on that crank...."Goodell Pratt company, Greenfield MASS, USA" to go along with the logo ( with patent number/date) stamped into the cone of the chuck's shell...
    Drill sorting, rehab done.JPG
    Stay tuned. Just picked up the red paint today....

Need to decide how many 8" and 10" braces to keep....and which to stash away...Looking at keeping just one of the Stanley 945-8s....and will see about which 10" brace to keep...That Millers Falls No. 22 will get retired.....
    stay tuned...

Ok...new paint job...new bolt..
    Drill sorting, new paint job.JPG
    Ready to join the others...
    Drill sorting, 3 egg beaters, 2.JPG
    And, while the paint was handy...
    Drill sorting, red handles.JPG
    Narrowed down the Yankees a bit...
    Drill sorting, final 3.JPG
    And the wood squares...
    Drill sorting, squares sorted out.JPG
    Til is looking a bit empty...
    Drill sorting, 8 remaining.JPG

Plus a chisel rehab, today...
    Chisel rehab, new handle fitted.JPG
    Old taped up, beat up handle ...replaced by a better one?
    Chisel rehab, special handle.JPG
    Well, this old bolt goes all the way through....to the bottom of the socket of the New Haven Edge Tool 1/4" mortise chisel. Might just work out?

taxes were filed today....meh....gave the paint time to dry..

Stay tuned..almost ready to cut some lumber....maybe.

Cleaned up a few tools, to get them ready...
    Drill sorting, turnscrews, chisels 2.JPG
    3 Buck Brothers chisels. and a few turnscrews...Stubby is a Millers Falls #69
    Drill sorting, chisels.JPG
    Sitting beside the "Perfection" screwdriver, is a Butcher 1/8" Sash chisel...rest have been cleaned up. Trying to decide which will get stash in the cabinet...

Road Trip to Menard's today ( just HAD to get out of the house..) and spent a little under $46...for 14 boards of Pine...
    Tool Cabinet build, lumber supply 1.JPG
    10 pc @ 1 x 10 x 4'....and 4 pc of 1 x 4......two at 3' long, two at 4' long ....letting this sit a day or two...to get used to the house..
    Tool Cabinet build, lumber supply, edge view.JPG
    Handsome, aren't they.....
    Was loading one of the 1 x10s....either a splinter, or, a staple poked me left index finger.....
    Stay tuned....

Need to pick out the best four 1 x 10s from that stack of 10....joint an edge or three and do a glue up. This will be the back of the cabinet. Then see IF a 1 x 10 wall for the "box" will be deep enough....if not....I'll do four more glue ups....a 1 x 10 to a 1 x 4.....two of which will be rough cut to 3'. looking at a 3 foot wide box, just under 4' tall. Means I'll need to buy a few more sticks, to build the doors with...

First thing today? Lunch....then see how things go...
    Stay tuned...the fun is about to begin...

design change: height has been reduced to 3'......4' was just too tall. 4 planks have been selected....and the 12" excess has been laid out...ready to be cut...after I finish my Corned Beef and Swiss on Rye Sammich....box is looking like a 3' x 3' square...
    Last edited by steven c newman; 03-21-2020 at 12:21 PM.

Boards trimmed down to 36", using a SKIL saw..
    Tool Cabinet build, trim set up.JPG
    Yes, a 6" SKIL saw...
    Tool Cabinet build, SKIL saw.JPG
    I guess this is a "Vintage saw"? Edges were jointed..
    Tool Cabinet build, jointer in use.JPG
    Stanley No. 7c seemed to work nicely enough..
    Tool Cabinet build, jointer 7c.JPG
    Last board was used to start the glue up....and the cussing..
    Tool Cabinet build, gleu up start.JPG
    Trying to fit the right size clamps....and working around the cauls on the ends...
    Tool Cabinet build, glue up done.JPG
    IF I read things right..I used two 3/4" Hargrave(sp) pipe clamps...plus a 1/2" Pony on the backside...down on the end...

Size of the panel..3/4" x 36" x 37"....glue joints will turn vertical, once the glue is cured.

It's a start...stay tuned