Thread: Moxon with Bussey hardware

Moxon with Bussey hardware

Hi all,

I spent half a day putting together a moxon vise from white oak leftover from a friend's canoe build and using hardware from Tom Bussey that has been languishing since last October (thanks Tom!).

Mine version is not as fancy Derek's, but I did drill a hole for a swing arm lamp/dog hole on either end Ran a toothing plane over one side and have crubber for the other-not sure it will need the crubber. 26" between the screws, which is overkill for most of what I do, but hey, that's how long the board was. One coat of BLO. Set up to use with holdfasts or clamps. Will be using for a bunch of drawers just on the other side of finishing a jewelry box.

Hope everyone is safe and getting some shop time.

Best,
    Chris

IMG_6802.jpgIMG_6805.jpgIMG_6806.jpg
    "You can observe a lot just by watching."
    --Yogi Berra

Chris, that looks great!

I would steal the idea for the light if I did not have a mobile light on a stand which does the same thing.

You should add the clamping feature via a track at the rear. It is really a game changer.

Regards from Perth

Derek

Chris,

Nice. Tell us more about the drawers.

ken

Since the wood you used is thick I would suggest you get some springs from the hardware store and put the springs in between the jaws. The threaded rod should go through the hole in the spring. Spring (s) can be cut with a dremel tool if need be. If springs are cut I would recommend washers at the end of the springs to keep the spring ends from cutting into the wood.

The springs make the whole vise easier to work with.
    Tom

Thanks Derek! I did set it up to be able to add a groove and very well may do so.

Ken, the dovetails will be for a NBSS style tool chest that’s about half done.
    --Yogi Berra

Tom, thanks again for the solid deal on the hardware. Have friend with the bc and I actually prefer your set.

and thanks for the reminder on the springs-the “from the hardware store” that’s a bit challenging here right now. But I may come across some in box too!

i also forgot to say it is set up opposite my tailvise where I expect it may stay semi permanently installed.
    --Yogi Berra

Nice work CC and I will rob the light hole idea for my Moxon and forever sing your praises.
    David