Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Redsign a tool storage spot

Ok...clamps removed..
    Tool Cabinet Door, no clamps.JPG
    Mitre box was in use...(unable to use the tablesaw, today)
    Tool Cabinet Door, Mitersaw.JPG
    Stanley No. 358....saw is 28" long...seemed to do the job...
    Tool Cabinet Door, one side installed.JPG
    First piece installed...then worked my way around...
    Tool Cabinet Door, clamp assist.JPG
    Needed help, so I got an assist from a few clamps....while I used a 3/8" Forstner bit for the counter bore...another drill was set up to drill pilot holes, and a 3rd was to drive the screws in place...bead of glue as needed....in the above picture, I still hadn't attached the other rail....needed a scrap across the bench to prop that end up...
    Tool Cabinet Door, leveled the front.JPG
    Will come back with a few dozen plugs to fill the counter bores.....a #3 smooth plane was leveling a few high spots...
    All the sides needed leveled out, as well..
    Tool Cabinet Door, leveled the sides.JPG
    Should do the trick ? Test fit?
    Tool Cabinet Door, test fit.JPG
    Sitting on a pine scrap, held in place with a single clamp....Supper was on the way..so..
    Tool Cabinet Door, quitting time.JPG
    I hung up the shop apron...Quitting Time!

Still need to haul the last two 1 x 10s to the shop...cut the worst off, until I have two @ 36-1/16" long planks....will need Olde Heft & Hubris to joint the edges, and do a glue up for the other door's front panel...
    maybe tomorrow, I can work on the last door? May need some bigger hinges, too...

Stay tuned...

Last night, was working on a way to hang a saw inside that door.....Traced out a pattern from the saw's handle...bandsaw to cut it out...then the belt/disc sander to fine tune the fit.....until the belt tried to eat a finger...ouch...anyway..
    Tool Cabinet Door, saw hanger.JPG
    Red lines are where 2 screws will go...countersunk 1" brass screws. I think I have the fit about right..
    Tool Cabinet Door, pine hanger.JPG
    may need a "keeper" that will keep the saw in place. May add a keeper for the end of the saw to reside in....and keep it from rattling around?

may try to fit one to my Disston No. 4 backsaw as well...keeps the dust off of them. Doubt IF any of the full sized handsaws will go inside the doors....I do have a saw til, after all...

Waiting on Supper to settle down....before I decide about anymore shop time, today....

stay tuned

Woodshop has been shut down for the weekend...not because of any virus...but, it seems during that "face plant" a while back....I messed up a few things in my right hand....hand has been confined in a splint/wrap, until Monday. X-rays didn't show anything broken, they seem to think maybe a tendon or two was involved, instead...

So...if you all can wait a few days, while I get this hand healed up....and I learn how to be a Lefty....maybe I can complete this tool cabinet build..

Stay tuned..

Thunderstorms last night....dropped enough in my area to raise a creek bit...
    Water Hazzards, work area.JPG
    Including the Dungeon Creek....

Need to plan a place to stash these..
    Extra Chisels, 1.JPG
    couldn't get them all in one shot..
    Extra Chisels, 2.JPG
    Then found a couple more...
    EC Jennings chisel 1.JPG
    EC Jennings is stamped on this one...

Ok...something simple to start, and easy on my right hand to do....I sorted through that pile of"extra" chisels....some went into the rack on the back of the tool well. Which left about 7 chisels.

next, dug through the scrap pile...looking for strips I can use....one or two that were thick enough...for the blades to sit flat in the rack. A third one to use as a keeper. Then cut one of the thicker ones to about the width of the inside of the Cabinet's door. Set that on the bench...next, cut a bunch of little blocks from the second strip....including two longer ones ( have enough left over for a second rack, if need be)...

next, lay out the chisels and a few of the blocks, the longer two on the end..
    Chisel Rack, spacers.JPG
    Working from the ends towards the center, each little block get a dab of glue, and mooshed down into place...then that thin strip was cut about to the right length, and a bit more glue was mooshed around...then a few clamps...
    Chisel Rack, keeper.JPG
    This will be the front of the rack. Always wondered what those spring clamps were good for....then set this aside, out of the way. Will clean things up with a plane (hand allowing) or just sand things smooth. Need to coat this with a few dips in the shellac....iron and Oak, don't play well, together..

taking things nice and slow, today...one plank at a time. each was trimmed for length..
    Tool Cabinet door 2, speedsquares.JPG
    Speedsquare to help out. Everything rest on the board, just push the saw through. Edges were checked..came out as a slight spring joint...so..
    Tool Cabinet door 2, door front.JPG
    Panel for the front of Door #2 is now in the clamps. This is the outside/show face..
    Tool Cabinet door 2, inside of door.JPG
    And this is the inside of the door. has a pitch pocket to clean up, or, cover up...

Which means the bench is filled, until the glue-ups are ready to be un-clamped, tomorrow. back upstairs, and rest the hand...

Stay tuned..

Was a long, tiresome day....left me sore, crampy and grumpy. First off. all the clamps were removed this morning.
    Tool Cabinet Door 2, supplies.JPG
    Supplies set out. 1 x4s were cut to lengths as needed...
    Tool Cabinet Door 2, start up.JPG
    Stanley No.358. 1st stile..
    Tool Cabinet Door 2, first stile.JPG
    Glue and clamps to start...then mark out for the counter-bores, and fire up the drill..
    Tool Cabinet Door 2, counterbore drill.JPG
    Drill was sold by Montgomery Wards. Then a pilot hole was drilled, then a 2" screw was driven home..so I could use the clamps elsewhere..
    Tool Cabinet Door 2, screws.JPG
    Then flip this over..
    Tool Cabinet Door 2, 2nd stile.JPG
    And repeat for the other side. Then measure for the ends....16-7/8" long. Cut two over on the Mitre box...
    Corners first...with an assist from a few clamps..
    Tool Cabinet Door 2, corner details.JPG
    More glue and screws.
    Tool Cabinet Door 2, ends done.JPG
    assembly is done, stay tuned for Part 2...

First off, ends needed cleaned up, and squared up a bit...
    Tool Cabinet Door 2, ends cleaned up.JPG
    beltsander to do the rough stuff, then clean that up..
    Tool Cabinet Door 2, sides cleaned up.JPG
    A smoother was used, both on the ends, and along one side/stile. The other stile needed a bevel made, to allow the door to shut past the other door,
    Tool Cabinet Door 2, door beveled.JPG
    Something like this. Maybe 5 degrees?...How to bevel a 3' long board?
    Tool Cabinet Door 2, plane a bevel.JPG
    Stanley No. 7c, Type 9....start out on the edge, and keep working back towards the doors front panel...
    Tool Cabinet Door 2, T for Top.JPG
    "T" is for Top of the door. Time to see how things will look..
    Tool Cabinet Door 2, dry fit.JPG
    One clamp to hold it (still no clamps) and sit it onto a scrap of 1 x 4...
    Might have found a handle style to use..
    Tool Cabinet Door 2, door handle.JPG
    And that was it for the door building, for today...but, i wasn't quite done, in the shop...
    Stay tuned, Part 3 is coming right up..

Because..there was a chisel rack to also get done...it also came out of the clamps...needed a few edges planed..
    Chisel rack, cleaned up.JPG
    At least so I could stand this up against the fence on the Mitre box...and trim the ends square..
    Chisel rack, ends trimmed.JPG
    Plane the rest smooth and straight...drilled a counter sink..
    Chisel rack, counter sinks.JPG
    Then the pilot holes..
    Chisel rack, pilot holes.JPG
    Cleaned things up with the #3 plane...then added a champfer to most of the edges..
    Chisel rack, champfer all edges.JPG
    With a Stanley No. 60-1/2 Cordovan block plane. Then got the chisels back out, making sure none will hit anything on the way down...
    Chisel rack, test drive.JPG
    All set to install, once the doors have their hinges. I might run a counter-sink bit around in the slots, to let the chisels sit down a bit better..

legs started to cramp..swept all them shavings up, and called it a day...

Will be looking at Piano Hinges...and then try to hang the doors....
    Stay tuned...

While waiting on the next Payday to arrive, so I can go out and buy the "Pi-ano" hinges....trying to work out HOW to install them. May use a "springboard" to support the door. Install the hinges on the doors first, set the doors on the supports, hold things steady enough to get one screw in place....adjust for plumb, add the bottom screw. Check how the door swings, adjust IF needed...then add the rest..

Not enough room to access to outsides of the case...so the hinges will have to be inside..along the edges of the case and the doors.

Latch(es)? May have found the handles I want, but..how to keep the doors shut. May have a look around, when I'm out buying the two 36" long hinges...

Doors will only be able to swing about 90 degrees....Drill Press and the Plane Til are the "limits" of how far the door get to swing out....Not sure if I'll even NEED them to open any further...

Right now? Need to go and make a few dozen 3/8" tapered Pine plugs....then install...just on the doors. Case didn't get any counter bores for the plugs...

Once the doors are installed, THEN I can start on loading them up...

Have a nice pile of usable Pine scraps....hmmmm, resaw down, and make a few more boxes? May have to change out the bandsaw blade...
    stay tuned.

First...hinges have arrived. I just had to get out of the house for a little bit....and stopped by and bought the hinges. Now the fitting, cussing, screwdriving, cussing and fitting the swings of the doors can begin..

Was out & about, doing a mailing....anyway.

essential? Well, without the hinges, I am stopped....without that trip to the outside world, I be going nuts....can only stay cooped up so long....

Quote Originally Posted by steven c newman View Post
    First...hinges have arrived. I just had to get out of the house for a little bit....and stopped by and bought the hinges. Now the fitting, cussing, screwdriving, cussing and fitting the swings of the doors can begin..

Was out & about, doing a mailing....anyway.

essential? Well, without the hinges, I am stopped....without that trip to the outside world, I be going nuts....can only stay cooped up so long....

Agree with that cooped up feeling, Steve...Seems very prevalent with this VIRUS thing.. Be careful...Keep social distance
    Jerry

Had to have a way to set the doors in place. Hinges went on the doors first,,,
    Door hinge install, tool kit.JPG
    Used some 1" long screws to hold things a bit better than those tiny brass things...set up a landing pad for the doors..
    Door hinge install, set up 2.JPG
    Door on the right needed a bigger one..screwed and clamped in place...also needed a shim to get the door to the right height..
    Door hinge install, extra long screws.JPG
    Used a few 2" long screws into the case...
    Door hinge install, first door hung.JPG
    Door is hung...had to move a couple planes out of the way, first...
    Repeat for the left door..
    Door hinge install, set up 1.JPG
    Both doors are now hung..
    Door hinge install, both doors hung.JPG
    And...they even close!
    Door hinge install, doors closed, latched...JPG
    Latch is a Hook & Eye, until I find one I like.
    Have a few more things..stay tuned, Part 2 coming right up...

Ok...needed a way to hold the left door, so I could plane a bevel along it's edge..
    Bench has a lower shelf....that I can rest panels on...door was a tad big,,so..
    Door hinge install, clamped one end.JPG
    Clamps were used to hold things in place, both at this end, and..
    Door hinge install, clamp the other end.JPG
    The other end. Stanley No. 7c, Type 9..
    Door hinge install, bevel plane.JPG
    And the shavings made. I tip the iron to the left, to get the bevel started...still had to beltsand things, once the doors were hung...fine tuning
    Chisel rack? Is now in the left hand door...
    Door hinge install, chisel rack done.JPG
    With a pine rest strip for the blades to rest against...
    Door hinge install, saw hanger done.JPG
    D(no hyphen)8 panel saw is now hung up, with keepers of Pine. Wondering what to stash in the big open area beside it...

Stay tuned...

That last picture? Things are a bit different there, right now..
    Tool Holders,doors, saws hung up.JPG
    Five more saws...Coping saws were moved out to be near the other two...
    These USED to hang above my bandsaw, getting dust covered..
    Tool Holders, doors. need a better place.JPG
    Along with the hammer til getting emptied out..
    Tool Holders, doors, new til.JPG
    And..
    Tool Holders , doors, Hammer til.JPG
    Room for one more? Even picked up a couple hitch-hikers..
    Tool Holders, doors, hitch-hikers.JPG
    Plug cutter was used..
    Door plugs, plug maker.JPG
    Made 24 plugs....installed all but three..
    Door plugs, not enough plugs.JPG
    Was enough for ONE door? Need another 22 made. Taking a break, right now.

Cleaned the filter compartment on the beltsander....was plugged up, full. Might run a bit better now?...

Stay tuned...maybe later, I can do the $0.05 Tour again? IF anyone wants it?

Hi Steven,

Neat build. Since you asked, Yes, I would enjoy the new cooks tour.

Two questions: 1. the block planes look like they are vulnerable to fall off if the door was opened quickly or accidentally slammed shut, but this may not be the case. What I was wondering is if they are actually pretty solid or held in place some way, or have you already planned such and haven't completed that step yet. 2. What are you going to finish it with? (Are you out of your famous "witches brew?"

Again, nice build, and it looks like you have a lot of some of your very useful tools in one small well organized area. Are the boxes the ones for your Stanley 45 and router plane?

Thanks for the build and regards,

Stew
    Last edited by Stew Denton; 04-02-2020 at 8:28 PM.