Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Centroid Acorn

Quote Originally Posted by Marty Escarcega View Post
    I guess its water under the bridge, and it sounds like you were working with Gary. Control is already returned?
    If you go to the Centroid CNC User forum: https://centroidcncforum.com/viewforum.php?f=60
    Follow this post: https://centroidcncforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=60&t=1043

Post the Gcode file you were having trouble with along with a Fresh report, we could have tried to help.

I understand once a person is soured on something, not much we can do to convince you otherwise.
    Good luck in whatever you choose Jerry.

Kindest regards
    Marty
    I will post the file and see if anybody else has problems I still can't understand why it will run one way but not the other. You are the support person so maybe you could tell me.

Quote Originally Posted by Jerome Stanek View Post
    I will post the file and see if anybody else has problems I still can't understand why it will run one way but not the other. You are the support person so maybe you could tell me.
    Its kind of pointless now Jerry, you aren't a Centroid user anymore. Its ok to go back to what you were comfortable with and know worked for your application.
    I was merely letting you know what the support process is.
    There are litterally hundreds of router users running the Centroid Acorn system ok. We try and do our best to test the hardware and software before its released. When it is released, if something slipped through, and we can reproduce the issue, Centroid is on it, retests and corrects it. I can attest to that, and its why I stick with them. I am not a support person, I am a Centroid Beta tester since Acorn inception. I answer questions I am comfortable answering and those I am not, I let other users answer.

Kindest regards,
    Marty

Can it be assumed that the Post Processor was carefully vetted after the new controller was implemented? I ask that because directly input codes got the expected movement, but running a file did not. It really is water over the dam now, but I'm just curious...or maybe I missed it earlier in the thread.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    Can it be assumed that the Post Processor was carefully vetted after the new controller was implemented? I ask that because directly input codes got the expected movement, but running a file did not. It really is water over the dam now, but I'm just curious...or maybe I missed it earlier in the thread.
    The Post Processor is the correct one and I sent a file off and it ran fine on another machine. What I still can't understand is if the steppers are to old to run with the Acorn then why would they run at all. I still think it has something to do with a bad processor on the Acorn that can't handle the code

Are you still using the same stepper driver boards? Maybe that was the issue they won't work at high speed with a file but fine jogging. Or maybe just a bad controller board, it does happen.
    Retired Guy- Central Iowa.HVAC/R , Cloudray Galvo Fiber , -Windows 10

Quote Originally Posted by Bill George View Post
    Are you still using the same stepper driver boards? Maybe that was the issue they won't work at high speed with a file but fine jogging. Or maybe just a bad controller board, it does happen.
    I bought a so called Shopbot Plug and Play controller from Gary Campbell and it had new Lineshine drivers and new power supply

Sounds like Gary sold you top of the line stuff.
    Retired Guy- Central Iowa.HVAC/R , Cloudray Galvo Fiber , -Windows 10

I think I would have considered replacing the old stepper motors. I believe I remember hearing of compatibility issues with those old motors and the newer control electronics.
    David

Gary posted on another forum that the reason that the Acorn wouldn't run a file but would move was a damaged ethernet port that he said I damaged by tripping over it. I never tripped on it or pulled it and it has a strain relieve to hold it. After I sent it back to him the first time and all he did was add a breakout board that did not it work his solution was to purchase his new steppers. If he would have taken the time to actually test the unit he would should have found the problem. He claims it was all my fault that it would not work and posted so much on another forum. Yes he did return part of my money but it ended up costing me hundreds of dollars that should not have been spent. If this is how he handles a defective unit I would think twice about ordering. Just again the controller never worked from day 1.