Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Centroid Acorn

Centroid Acorn

I bought a new control box from Gary Campbell and now my machine is finally setup. Gary spent a lot of time trouble shooting a couple of problems but between us we got it running good. I was about to send the controller back as I spent so much time trying to track down growling steppers that were paired. It finally runs without the growl and is much faster. the other thing was a bad post that I had to update. Thanks Gary

Buying one from him you know it is set up properly and you have a good tech support person for fast fixes. I put Acorn on my machine after reading all his posts about it and I really like it. With the Centroid forums help I was able to get mine set up and running an ATC when I had 0 knowledge on how to go about it.

Even when Mr Murphy shows up, working with an excellent resource like Gary is "good news". 'Glad you're up and running! And Acorn is a great controller, too.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

I am interested to hear about the improvements you see after changing controllers.

Well the first improvement was the speed I used to be able to surface my table at 300 IPM now I can surface at 600 IPM and it runs smoother the steppers don't seem to make as much noise. The other major thing for me is that when running a job it doesn't lock the computer on the Shopbot screen. I can now go into Aspire and make the next file that I need either for the CNC or my Laser as I run both at times. I still have problems thinking in G code rather then the Shopbot code and using the cycle button instead of the enter key.
    Last edited by Jerome Stanek; 03-16-2020 at 1:10 PM.

I would like to take the time to thank Jerry for his patience in helping get his new controller tuned in. This is a new model for 2020 that uses drives that are just out of mfgr. ShopBot products are traditionally difficult to tune, especially the old ones. The older the motors and the newer the drives, the more work it takes to get them dialed in. I have a number of newer SB motors that I use to setup machines, but none as old as his.

Thanks again, glad you are running well. Double the speeds is fairly typical, what may not be seen is the increase in edge quality. Resolution increases with these systems are at least 60% higher, and in many cases 3-400%. A normal 7.2:1 geared SB motor will now run at twice the speed at ~5860 steps per inch. A massive increase over the ~733 steps per inch many of these units shipped with.
    Gary Campbell
    CNC Replacement & Upgrade Controllers
    Custom 9012 Centroid ATC

Gary, are there any other new features with 2020 model?

Richard...
    The biggest difference with the new models is that they are able to use 24v open collector signal vs. the older ones which were 5v line drive signals. More speed and crisper, better control. There are a good number of differences between the drives, but it takes a scope to visualize most of them.

All told, most users will see a much larger advances in Centroid's control software features than they will from incremental component increases.
    Gary Campbell
    Custom 9012 Centroid ATC

Given that I know nothing about controllers.....Where does Centroid sit in relation to other controllers? Thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Bontz View Post
    Given that I know nothing about controllers.....Where does Centroid sit in relation to other controllers? Thank you.
    Same general spot...part on a computer and part on electronics that live on the machine. Many "big iron" machines have it all in one place, but in the general market that's largely the focus of folks on forums like this, you most often have controller software you touch on a computer (Mach-x, Acorn, WinCNC, etc) and circuitry in a box on the CNC machine that advises the electronics associated with the steppers/servos and spindle, etc., to do what's needed. This is a very general statement, however.
    --

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Bontz View Post
    Ron...
    I have been building CNC controllers since I retired from CAMaster. I've used and built controllers for Mach 3, UCCNC, ShopBot, WinCNC and Centroid. All in cooperation with and support from the mfgr., except for Mach. In my capacity in R & D with 2 OEMs I had the opportunity to test a few others. I have not built any for Mach 4, but Mach 3 left a bad taste in my mouth that lingers strong enough to not even want to test Mach 4.

I no longer build controllers with anything other than Centroid or WinCNC and would consider them both a tie at the top for making a CNC machine run properly. On a scale of 1 to 10, I put Centroid and WinCNC tied at 9 and everything else on my list above at a 5 or lower. (for comparison)
    Gary Campbell
    Custom 9012 Centroid ATC

Ron, I went with Centroid on Gary's recommendation. I have been very pleased. they have a great forum that supports everyone regarless of the type of CNC that they are installing it on. The price is pretty low for what you are getting and the forum is exceptional in helping people get any bugs that they can't figure out on their own. It seems to be getting more and more customizable to user preferences also. I don't regret the upgrade.

Thanks to every one for the info..

Had a small glitch yesterday. Homing wasn't picking up the Macro that says how much offset there is. It just Zeroed it at the offset spot. Also I ended up replacing the network cable as some times it would lose connection even after I replaced the bad end. CNC 12 seems to find the controller faster now also.

Sometimes one gets a wonky network cable that only shows it's true face when something demanding is going on. Good move with replacing it!
    --