Thread: Now on to the 10" Eclipse Rant

Now on to the 10" Eclipse Rant

I had to have a new vise right away last month and the first choice 7" or even 9" inch Eclipse wasn't in stock anywhere so I ordered the 10".

Darn things so heavy it takes both hands to pull on the QR lever and lift up at the same time to make it work. I cleaned and waxed the screw and ways but maybe I just got a Lemon. Anyway, it's now mine and it will accommodate a small SUV with the jaws fully open so what the heck.

That's #1. #2, what a ridiculous design is the dog!
    IMG_4871.jpg

It's not so much the hazard when face planing, until replacing that dog of a dog today I hadn't skinned any knuckles or planes but I can't seem to keep my eyes off it. Like you just know something is lurking behind the closet door.

So I cut a piece of BB plywood to size (had to chisel off one side face veneer for width) to replace the metal slug. Then I discovered the supplied bolt is an M8x1.25 of which I could order 100 and wait 10 days with a shipping charge. Got a 1/4-20 Eye Bolt and T-nut from the bins and used that. That's more like it.
    IMG_4873.jpg

I wonder if there's an Eclipse Diet?

True Value stores generally have a nice selection of metric bolts available. Many Home Depots and Lowes have them, too. That said, good solution with a nice rounded surface that will certainly do less damage to flesh when you smack into it!
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

I have two of these vises and for the most part that work ok. What problems I have had with the larger one is the 1/2 nut for the quick release. It is made of a cast metal and the handle screw rod is hardened. The 1/2 nut wears out over time.
    I never used the dogs on mine and I covered both with tape to keep wood from filling it up.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    True Value stores generally have a nice selection of metric bolts available. Many Home Depots and Lowes have them, too. That said, good solution with a nice rounded surface that will certainly do less damage to flesh when you smack into it!
    Both Lowe's and Home Depot practice 'the 80% of sales from 20% of inventory' formula, especially Lowe's, which means that increasingly, less sought after parts get discarded. My Lowe's now has far fewer of those drawers filled with speciality parts than even a few months ago, metric included. Close by Ace, usually a great source, didn't have it either. But all's well that ends less than badly.

Yes, that's very true..."big box" retailers are less and less accommodating more specialized needs. I'm thankful that our local True Value has a really well stocked hardware isle to take care of those situations.
    --

Blog Entries
    Ace Hardware is historically stupid-expensive around here. I had abandoned them completely until Orchard Supply (OSH) went out. Now when I need a rarely used piece of small hardware I go to Ace and they will have it 9 times out of 10.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Glenn, it's pretty much true that the smaller, local franchise (Ace, TV, etc) and independent stores are often more expensive...they can't handle margins as thin as the larger box chains can spread around. What they do provide is convenience of location and sometimes better selection of certain things. It's a trade-off unfortunately.
    --

I don't use the dog built in to my jorgensen vises.
    Instead, I put on thick chops with a hole for a bench dog

If you are feeling frustrated with vise hardware, you might enjoy:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VcbTopj5u7A

Matt

Record went bankrupt several years ago. I thought Eclipse went under as well? Record's name has been bought by someone and is being used to sell made in china vises.

I thought Lowes owned Ace?

Ditto on the big box stores having metric hardware. Recently discovered the local Tractor Supply store has a great selection of hardware in stock; just hold onto your wallet when you walk in the door as there are some nice goodies in there that are not woodworking related.

For unusual fasteners and hardware (military spec, left-handed stainless steel -in three different grades - metric, anyone?) there's always McMaster-Carr. Prices are not too bad, but you generally have to buy in box-quantities and pay for shipping. An added bonus is that the vast majority of stuff they sell is USA made. They also have the best, bare none, website for browsing and ordering. Mail order right now also isn't a bad idea!

https://www.mcmaster.com/

I took the metal dog from my vise to the grinder, made it fit flush, and ground off the sharp coners - it's good now