Thread: Delta vs Laguna Spindle Sander

Delta vs Laguna Spindle Sander

I am going to purchase either the Delta 31-484 floor model spindle sander or the Laguna SS-24t spindle sander. The prices I have found is Delta $1950 free shipping and Laguna is $1800 free shipping. The Delta has a 5 year warranty while the Laguna has a 1 year warranty. The other difference is the weight. The advertise weights of both vary quite a bit but in general the Laguna is advertised a little lighter. I have heard someone speculate that the cast iron top is thinner on the Laguna but I know not for sure if true. I am looking for input on which one to buy. I would really like to know about the weight.

Definitely would not buy anything Delta because they have been circling the drain for years. Laguna would not be my first choice for customer service reasons even though I have 2 Laguna tools because I couldn't find the equivalent elsewhere. I have a Grizzly spindle sander and am happy with it.

Judging purely by the information you provided, the $150 seems to give you four extra years of warranty and potentially a heavier tool with more mass. I don't know these two machines at all, but I might be influenced by both the piece of mind that the warranty brings and I always like heavier when it comes to tools. More mass often has less vibration which provides better finish when the tool engages the material.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Blog Entries
    Sorry the quality of the responses are going to be tepid. It can be frustrating when you have narrowed your choices down and then ask for help with the tie-breaker only to discover that the contenders are not on the short list of a lot of folks. I will say that the 10 year old Delta drill press I have is one of those with 'no parts available'. That being said if I had to choose a sub $2k drill press today it would quite possilby be a Delta 18-900 (or a Nova).

I wish the current version of Delta all the luck in the world but, the track record is not good. I have trouble considering Laguna given their long reputation of good-bad-bad-bad-good-bad-bad-bad customer service and support. I hope others will chime in to even out the responses so far.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

I just bought a used spindle sander about 6 months ago. If I had purchased new it would have been Grizzly. They have the best combination of quality,price and parts/support. I have never seen anyone post that they hated one either,seems that it is a good and dependable machine.

I bought an old Boice- Crane with 13 spindles last year. I had been looking for several years but held out for a used one to show up - they are out there.

I didn't realize Laguna and Delta had such bad reputations. I have not bought a new machine tool in years. I have a lot of old iron. The Grizzly would save me a good amount of money at about $1220 with shipping and tax. Thanks for all your opinions.

The four years of extra warranty for $150 could be useful however it is a pretty simple machine with not a lot to go wrong. I was thinking the oil bath gearbox and tilting spindle vs tilting table would make for a more enjoyable experience. I have never used a spindle sander of any kind before.
    Last edited by Brian Brightwell; 03-13-2020 at 5:51 PM.

An OSS is an incredibly useful tool. For quite a while, mine didn't get as much use, but in the last year or so, the nature of my work shifted to where I am using it more and more. (I have the older Delta BOSS benchtop) They are relatively simple tools but the oscillating action has to be smooth and handle a lot of iterations over time.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

If you are ok with older iron, you might take a look for an oder State or Max. I see them for 1 to 1.2K moderately often, though make sure they have all the spindles you want -- they tend to go missing. I got lucky and bought a State S3 with all 10 spindles 1 week ago for 350; it had a mechanical issue with turned out to take a day's thought and tinkering, but had been considering the Grizzly.

Keeping an eye for one locally but doubtful I'll find a floor model. Inquired about the cost of a Porter Cable 121 a few years ago as a temporary solution. Was going to mount it in the extension table for the table saw. They wanted $500 for it then. Discontinued now probably. And I would not hesitate to but a Delta. Really like the sheer weight of those animals. In all honesty, what could break that you could not get welded or machined anyway?

Without taking them both apart it's hard to know exactly where the extra weight is. When I was looking for a 18" bandsaw I was able to see the Laguna BX18 at a Rockler. Part of the table trunion was made from aluminum. While not a super heavy part there will be a difference in weight. On a tilting OSS you have both a trunion and gear box. If Laguna uses aluminum for some of the parts that would change the weight. For a gear box case I don't think it would matter but for a trunion (one of the reasons I didn't buy the BX18) I like cast iron. Or it could be the trunion and/or the gear box is larger on the Delta.

I own Grizzly tools and have good luck with them. If you can wait they usually will have a 10% off coupon a couple times a year that will cover a good part of the shipping. But you can't take a look at them unless you live close to either of their two showrooms before you buy. I suspect that an OSS is not something you will find in very many showrooms so you're most likely going to be buying it without seeing it.