Thread: Quality carving tools at affordable price?

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Ok. Long post. Get a beer. I'll wait......
    Just got a set of the afore mentioned cheapo tools. Spent 2 hours honing. I checked Amazon and they have it listed, so if you were waiting, can get them. I checked because i was sure they said they include a beginners ebook, which I can't find......
    My qualifications.... None. I can't sharpen. Yet. I can hone/strop...... I have lots to learn.
    Impressions. What the site is true. if you can't sharpen, (me) may not be wise to buy the tools. I can sharpen skews and flat chisels.
    Oh, I'm a woodturner, and what I'm looking for is to augment my feeble skills.
    I'm not a metallurgist, so I have no clue on the steel quality, but I do think it's good steel. I ran my series of diamond hones, 325/600/1200. and tried in vain to sharpen. I do own 3 and only 3 good tools. One of them is a Pfiel V-tool which, I actually do know how to "sharpen". Have yet to take the others to the grinder. I do agree that Amazon is correct about not knowing how to sharpen. Given my limited carving tool sharpening skills, I can't see how they sharpened half of the tools. BUT as they say, you need to know how to sharpen.
    I cannot agree that they are "junk", I do own several JUNK tools, and these are pretty good as far as I can tell. The V-tool and the flat chisels work pretty good in my limited experience. The others, since I have yet to take it to the grinder and actually sharpen, yet to be determined.
    If they again appear on Amazon, I'd jump and get them. 100 bucks for a dozen chisels? CANNOT go wrong with that........
    Oh, they have a real nice spoon gouge. I have a Sorby spoon and this one is smaller, and will fit nicely in my collection........
    Buy them if you can. As a real novice non professional beginning clueless carver, I think it's money well spent. My Pfiel alone is almost what I paid. How can you possibly go wrong. As mentioned, you NEED to know how to sharpen before you can carve. These need to be sharpened, not honed.
    Last observation, they are not physically as "big" as the other name brands that I have, meaning they will have less tool life with continued sharpenings. Handles are well finished, NOT to my personal liking, too much varnish/oil/finish for me.
    My $0.02. Bottom line....... You get what you pay for. These, are a BARGAIN. Get them. No Fail. If you only use the 2 flats and the V, money ahead. I finally went over the edge due to the insanity of staying at home. Need more hobbies. CV-19. Be safe, stay home do some woodworking.
    Aloha.
    Last edited by Kyle Iwamoto; 05-14-2020 at 5:15 PM. Reason: Changed the availability. It is again on the site. It was not at the time of posting.