Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Gluing up multiple boards to make one thick board

Gluing up multiple boards to make one thick board

So I am in my final stages of the rocking horse I’m making for my son. I have (2) 1.5” and (1) .75” hard maple boards I need to join together. What is the best way to accomplish this with the best results. My thoughts were to sand with 220 grit lightly before glue and clamping.

some thoughts/questions:

1) should I clean the wood with a solvent like paint thinner first?
    2) Will the glue that is squeezed out when clamping stain the wood at the joints and be noticeable? Ways to prevent this?
    3) money not being an issue what glue should he used?

any and all tips would be appreciated. Being a dad and working full time I don’t get much time in the shop. So this project is going on 3 months. Want to make sure the final step go smooth (as possible).

5596F62A-6DE3-4EFA-990D-290E8EB50024.jpg 74FCAEAD-34CC-448F-A6BE-36390C44BEF8.jpg

Use a PVA "Wood Glue". You can get Titebond (red) or Titebond II (blue) at most home stores.
    Wipe off any squeeze out during clamping. Plan on sanding the rest off.

Sand the wood by hand and make sure it's flat. Sanding will clean the surface enough. Ideally each of the 2 glued surfaces will make 100% contact, with (almost) no low spots. before you glue them, lay them together and make sure there is no rocking and that there are no big gaps around the perimeter. There's enough surface that even if it's not 100% contacting, you should be ok - as long as there are no gaps around the perimeter. If you have to clamp perimeter gaps to eliminate them, you risk them opening up down the line.

I would glue the sides to the center in separate steps; wait until the first is dry before doing the second side. This will help you align everything. Insert the handle and make another for the eye to help align everything. After clamping, pull out the dowels so that they're not glued in permanently.

Apply glue liberally to each mating face and use a credit card or something else to squeegie it into a reasonably even, thin film. Place the two halves together and slide them a little to distribute the glue completely.

Tighten the clamps slowly and a little bit at a time, cycling - as if you were replacing lug nuts on a tire. Take care to keep the edges aligned as they will want to move under the lubricating glue (the dowels will help prevent this a little as you tighten) Use as many clamps as you can. Leave it for at least 4 hours (overnight better) before doing the second glue up. Leave the final, clamped, cleaned assembly alone for 24 hours.

I know it's too late, but next time, I would glue up everything before cutting.

Also, I made a similar design, and the tail broke within a few months. Just a heads up. We ended up attaching a mop as a tail and it's lasted better.
    Last edited by Prashun Patel; 03-11-2020 at 2:12 PM.

Agree with Prashun's advice except not sure about gluing it up before cutting. On the plus side you can use screws in the waste area to pull the pieces together but then you have to cut 3 3/4" thich hard maple which might be difficult. Another approach would be to cut the middle piece to final size and the outer pieces oversize. You could use screws in the waste area to pull the pieces together, remove the screws and then use a bandsaw to remove most of the waste and router with a pattern bit to trim the outer pieces to match the center piece.
    That said, if you have lots of clamps or heavy weights you should be OK.

I definitely agree with Prashun with gluing only one together at a time. Every time I do a glue up like that where I have already cut out the pieces, I am humbled. It is hard to get everything aligned and clamped when you are by yourself. Also, I never sand the two mating surfaces when gluing, I assume when it comes off of the jointer or planer, it is a flat as it can be which will yield the best mating surfaces.

I agree that sanding is not needed if the pieces are clean and nearly flat. I am concerned that squeeze out will be a problem after assembly and that sanding needs will be reduced if it is completely removed with water at time of assembly. End grain absorption would be especially problematic. Good luck!
    Rustic? Well, no. That was not my intention!

Blog Entries
    For the surfaces that will end up interior to the finished piece, you can use a paint scraper to remove the squeeze out. Unless the wood is rough, I would avoid sanding the pieces where they will be glued, there is no need for strong joints and you run the risk of making the surfaces uneven which will produce voids.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

Thick maple will sometime open up just a little around the edges. I've seen it on bar rails, so when I made a large
    round rail (plan view) " smoo shaped "rail for a country club bar I routed about an 1/8th off before gluing the two layers ,leaving original
    planed surface about 1 and 1/4 inches. Your piece won't fall apart ,or open up. The 3/4 pieces will be fine without the routing

Blog Entries

No way would I sand to 220 for a glue surface. 80-100 is fine for leveling...you want some "tooth" there...but otherwise, just glue it.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

10. Agreed. Wouldn’t sand at all personally.

That you and everyone else for all the advice. Glueing up before cutting was not an option for me. My jet 14” bandsaw struggled cutting just the 1.5” hard maple due to the small curves in the design.

I would place another locating dowel towards the back. Through drill the center layer, then use it as a drill guide for the outer layers without drilling all the way through. It will help keep things from moving around too much once the glue is on and the clamping starts.
    JR

Quote Originally Posted by J.R. Rutter View Post
    I would place another locating dowel towards the back. Through drill the center layer, then use it as a drill guide for the outer layers without drilling all the way through. It will help keep things from moving around too much once the glue is on and the clamping starts.
    Excellent idea.

I think what Mel is getting at is the relief you see in hardwood flooring to keep it from rocking. You could get this effect by sawing out the center of the center sheet. Leave about 3/4" all the way around. Hide the entrance cut in the mouth or tail.

I would not use Titebond, it turns bright yellow. This will really show on Maple. Elmer's white glue is a better choice. Of course it will depend on the final finish. Experiment. Best result is if there is no squeeze out. This will not require much strength so a little glue a ways back from the edge will suffice.

I didn't think about that. Tom's right. I made a maple chair with glued laminations, and used TBII. The seams, several months later, radiated the color of the glue - which presented as an orange. It wasn't altogether objectionable, but was unintended. So, I revise my suggestion to use TB...