Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: The last word on "penultimate"

The TV people seem to get drills on how to pronounce specific words. And some of it is nothing but incorrect preferences
    of the studio "teachers". They are now routinely pronouncing letters that are "silent". Hey, maybe they think they are
    "giving them a voice" !

I for one am not going to say anything about what words others use. Or how they pronounce them. English isn't my first language although it's the only one I have.

-Tom

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Stenzel View Post
    I for one am not going to say anything about what words others use. Or how they pronounce them. English isn't my first language although it's the only one I have.

-Tom
    Even with American English as my first language it isn't my place to correct others. It is hard enough even for a northern Californian to understand someone from southern California at times. Surely it is the same the other way around.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

The more I am corrected, the more correct I will be!
    Jason

"Don't get stuck on stupid." --Lt. Gen. Russel Honore

I like using words that unnecessarily long and obsolete. Substituting extraforaneous for outside or outdoor is an easy one.
    Zach

Blog Entries
    Substituting extraforaneous for outside or outdoor is an easy one.
    Until you try to find out what it means:

extraforaneous.jpg

Of course if one likes to see the "deer in the headlights" look on people's faces it is a good word to know.

Though some might be disinclined to acquiesce in accepting the veracity of the orator.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."

I found it in my 1950s edition of the Oxford Universal Dictionary, but here's an online source:

https://www.collinsdictionary.com/us...extraforaneous

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Zachary Hoyt View Post
    I found it in my 1950s edition of the Oxford Universal Dictionary, but here's an online source:

https://www.collinsdictionary.com/us...extraforaneous
    One or more sources in my search mentioned it as being mostly of British usage. That of course required telling Google my search is for the word extraforaneous and not extemporaneous.

jtk
    Last edited by Jim Koepke; 03-14-2020 at 2:51 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Nuckles View Post
    I have not heard it used incorrectly, though I rarely hear it. My favorite is antepenultimate: the last but two.

There's something to be said for preantepenultimate (everything but the last three).

I've got lots of practice at making firewood!

Quote Originally Posted by glenn bradley View Post
    Language can be tricky. I would discourage someone who is trying to bestow a compliment by using a word that essentially means "almost" the ultimate . Those people are handing out a backhanded compliment unintentionally.

I find this practice discouraging but, that's just my Sheldon Cooper syndrome showing through. The American English language is a potpourri of morphed words and languages. I am sure glad I am a native speaker. With my many failed attempts to learn even the basics of another language, I'd be hopeless.

“Damned by faint praise”

Regards, Rod

There is an ongoing perpetual debate among linguists, over whether dictionaries are meant to define words and their usage for people, or reflect the actual spoken language of people. I think words with clear Latin roots should stay close to those roots.

My pet peeve regarding mangled meaning of words is the way so many events are framed as being "ironic", when they are not. Often the events are a coincidence, but not in any way ironic.

I wish I could recall a clear example of this but it's late and I can't.

The whole Alannis Morisette song , Ironic has no irony in it. Ironically, that’s the real irony.