Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Offcut storage

Quote Originally Posted by johnny means View Post
    Offcut storage is the Holy Grail of the wood shop. Find a good solution and you"ll be up there with Jeff Bezos.
    I use the thermal transmogrifier storage system for offcuts. (with apologies to Calvin and Hobbes).

Offcut storage.jpg

Regards, Rod.

Quote Originally Posted by Rod Sheridan View Post
    I use the thermal transmogrifier storage system for offcuts. (with apologies to Calvin and Hobbes).
    Offcut storage.jpg
    Regards, Rod.
    I like that name, I might use it!

I do the same at times. Here is what's going into my thermal conversion system. I've had a number of people come here and I cut of sections of logs for them to turn into bowls and vessels and such on the lathe but this is what's left over and in the way. I also cut up a bunch into woodturning blanks to dry, but I've reached my limit of drying and storage space. Going from wood to ash are logs and chunks of cherry, apple, box elder, black locust, osage orange, hackberry, and more, some with burls, some up to 24" in diameter. Problem around here is there is way too much green wood available, especially in logs great for wood turning but maybe not enough large enough to make it worthwhile to fire up the sawmill.

logs_01.jpg logs_02.jpg

When I accumulate 5-10 trailer loads of such logs plus worthless wood, limbs and brush I dig a huge pit and do the transmorgrafacation. A warm hobby for the winter time.

fire_pit.jpg

JKJ

I have a 5 gallon bucket for scraps that are not useful. It mostly sits beside the bandsaw so I can drop them in. When it gets full I put them in the boiler where they make heat or domestic hot water, depending on the time of year. Pieces that are useful to me get put in boxes by species, I have one each for cherry, curly maple, walnut and mahogany and one for ebony and rosewood together. Pieces that are not useful to me but seem too good to burn get put in boxes, and when I have 40 or 50 pounds accumulated I put up a free stuff ad on Craigslist, and someone comes and gets them. People who make knives or carve seem to be happy to have small or odd pieces of nice woods.

Quote Originally Posted by Zachary Hoyt View Post
    ... Pieces that are not useful to me but seem too good to burn get put in boxes, and when I have 40 or 50 pounds accumulated I put up a free stuff ad on Craigslist, and someone comes and gets them. People who make knives or carve seem to be happy to have small or odd pieces of nice woods.
    That's a good idea. I have large tubs full of mostly short and thin pieces, some reasonably wide, that are offcuts from preparing turning blanks. In the past I took them to high school art teachers but school attendance is kind of iffy right now. I might try the craigslist.

JKJ

+1. That is a good idea. Thanks!
    Brian

"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger or more complicated...it takes a touch of genius and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction." - E.F. Schumacher