Thread: Northfield Unipoint rebuilt

Northfield Unipoint rebuilt

Just wrapping this machine up. Just a couple hours work left to do and it's ready for its trip east.

IMG_20200310_231652_451.jpg

IMG_20200310_231652_459.jpg

IMG_20200310_231652_448.jpg

Man, that is one serious RAS! Looks like it could cut railroad ties and not even breathe hard!
    Beautiful restoration!

Is the customer a pro shop?
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”

Quote Originally Posted by Frederick Skelly View Post
    Man, that is one serious RAS! Looks like it could cut railroad ties and not even breathe hard!
    Beautiful restoration!

Is the customer a pro shop?
    They are the best designed radial saw made.
    No, it's a retirement shop.

That is a SERIOUS looking tool, Darcy! Wow. Curious if the blade guard system is original or retrofit? It seems pretty modern, although the design fits with the curves and lines of the tool.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Beautiful machine and nice restoration! Thanks for posting.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    That is a SERIOUS looking tool, Darcy! Wow. Curious if the blade guard system is original or retrofit? It seems pretty modern, although the design fits with the curves and lines of the tool.
    Its original, but the lower section makes for a real PIA when changing blades. Northfield has updated the guard to a more user friendly style, but not as pretty. They have the lower parts, but basically talk you out of buying them and suggest buying the updated version.

Nice work Darcy.
    I hadn’t seen that style of blade guard before either.
    They are really a miter saw on steroids and so much more. What year is this one?

Very nice work, thanks for posting that.

I wonder what the owner is going to use it for?

Regards, Rod.

Quote Originally Posted by Rod Sheridan View Post

Regards, Rod.
    I use mine with a 300mm adjustable grooving head. It can easily cut a dado 1-1/2" wide by 3/4" deep in one pass, like cutting through butter. Cross cutting up to 25" wide perfectly square every time. And anything else you would use a miter saw for.
    My original plan was to fix the one I have up and move it on. Once I found out how versatile it was I decided it was staying.

Quote Originally Posted by Rod Sheridan View Post

Regards, Rod.
    Cutting wood, I would assume. lol

Nice one Darcy!

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Delyster View Post
    I use mine with a 300mm adjustable grooving head. It can easily cut a dado 1-1/2" wide by 3/4" deep in one pass, like cutting through butter. Cross cutting up to 25" wide perfectly square every time. And anything else you would use a miter saw for.
    My original plan was to fix the one I have up and move it on. Once I found out how versatile it was I decided it was staying.
    Do you get the feeling that it's working when you do a cut like that? Nice to see modern tooling like that on older tools.

I had a chance to buy a Monarch version of this saw but already had the Wadkin CC so passed on it.

B
    https://shorturl.at/mRTU3

Quote Originally Posted by brent stanley View Post
    Do you get the feeling that it's working when you do a cut like that? Nice to see modern tooling like that on older tools.

I had a chance to buy a Monarch version of this saw but already had the Wadkin CC so passed on it.

B
    You say older, but you can still buy a new one of these. Only difference is the guard style.

Quote Originally Posted by brent stanley View Post

B
    It doesn't feel like it's working very hard.
    Mine is a 1980 model, so not really that old. Like Darcy mentioned it has a different blade guard then the one he posted here.
    I believe the ones produced today all so have a motor break or at least have it as an option.

I really like the colours you painted this one Darcy. Much better than the factory green and orange that mine is.