Thread: Question on Powermatic 2013 Bandsaw

Question on Powermatic 2013 Bandsaw

I would like to get a larger bandsaw as an upgrade to my current Jet 14" with a riser block. A Powermatic 2013 recently came up for auction that I might bid on but I have some concerns. Unlike the current Powermatic 20" bandsaw production the 2013 has an angled section to the body of the saw above the table that might interfere with large pieces of wood. Do you think this might be a problem? Any comments or suggestions on this bandsaw?

If I understand correctly the saw has a reinforcing gusset in the upper left opening when viewed from the operator position?

I would regard that as a benefit for frame rigidity.

In 50 years of using a band saw, including producing lumber on one that size, I’ve never had a task where that feature would be a problem. That doesn’t mean that this model doesn’t have other problems I’m not aware of however it’s in a completely different class than your present saw.

Regards, Rod
    Last edited by Rod Sheridan; 04-05-2020 at 5:39 PM.

I don't think that would cause an issue as the angled part most likely just is equal in height to the upper guide when it's as high as it can go as well as the wheel to set the tension. It looks like the saw has a hair over 12" for resawing. If your heart is set on a Powermatic and 12" is enough height it should be a good saw. If so hopefully you can pick it up for a good price. I know the Laguna LT24 is designed the same way (angled). I've never seen a 2013 at an auction but I have seen a couple LT24 (which I think is a similar saw) go for around $2500 plus fees.