Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: which VFD (and what else?) needed for Delta DJ 20 jointer

Since I don't have experience with that VFD and can't find a manual online, I don't have a clear answer. I suspect it depends on how the terminals DI1-DI4 can be programmed.

A TECO FM50 wired with a switch, or control station, like yours can be done like this:
    fm50-TS-wiring.jpg

The challenge is to figure out how to translate the terminal assignments and programming to yours. I don't have enough information to do that.
    Chuck Taylor

Some VFDs are not designed to handle the sudden interruption (or contact) of a switch opening (or closing) in the three phase wiring between the VFD and the motor.

Check the manual for your VFD to determine if it is allowable to put a power switch between your VFD and the motor.

-- Andy - Arlington TX

wire a maintained switch to common and DI-1
    program the VFD to accept remote start
    when switch is made then VFD will start

Wire a run switch between Common and D-11. It think this has to be a maintained on switch.
    The stop switch is Common to D-13. It is unusual in that it is normally open and must be held closed to maintain power off. Perhaps run it through the TC/TA relay?
    If you like the existing switches maybe they are standard 22mm switches and they can be replaced while using the existing coverplate. Contact blocks on the switches can be changed over as needed.
    You will probbaly have to program in the FVD to enable the remote switches
    Bil lD.

These kinds of issues is why I reccomend a fuji from wolf automation. All needed info is either in the manual or available as a pdf from their site.

You will have to enable a function that allows the vfd to be switched on from an external source and not the keypad

Blog Entries
    Yikes. You guys are speaking a language I don’t speak. I do appreciate your efforts!
    Seems like it’s not easily accomplished. I’m hoping my email to the vendor gives a clearer path.
    - Bob R.
    Collegeville PA (30 minutes west of Philly)

Bob, to turn the VFD on/off using a "remote" switch, you just need to short terminal DI1 to COM. In the page "2.2.1 Typical System Connection" wiring diagram, it shows this switch labeled "Forward Run". If you connect a standard switch (like a household light switch) to those terminals, it should turn the motor on/off when you flip the switch on/off.

Perhaps this is obvious, but it's important to note that this switch is only controlling a low-voltage signal to tell the VFD what to do. It's not switching either the 240V input or the 3phase output, directly.

I would recommend getting a regular SPST switch (like a household light switch) and hooking it up and making sure it works before you get into the trouble of figuring out how to hook up the buttons from the DJ-20 (because the DJ-20 buttons are momentary, there is some additional complexity to making it work).

If you hook up the light switch and it doesn't work, I believe the 2.2.1 figure is saying that you need to adjust menu parameter F4-00 to be "1" to enable the external "Forward Run" input. By default, it may not be enabled.

Once you get that working with a simple switch, here's how to wire up the pushbuttons. Note that I "flipped" the start/stop button positions left/right from your starter wiring diagram to make the wiring connections less messy on paper
    20200315_085924.jpg

Blog Entries
    Awesome, thank you for this! I have a light switch that I can use and will give this a test.

Also, from Charle's post #31 above... my initial tests, the motor was indeed running backwards and had read someplace that switching the wires could help. That diagram confirms that.

Lastly, I did get a reply from the vendor that they will send me some info on this too... so hopefully that helps.

Almost there!
    - Bob R.

There is probably a reverse button on the VFD. Just press it once and the motor will run the correct direction from then on. No need to rewire. But having the VFD in reverse all the time may show something on the display that bothers you, like REV in small letters.
    To reverse any three phase motor remove two power wires and reconnect them in reverse. Just do not use the ground wires.
    PS: power wires can be any color except white, green or "natural gray"? In North America normally black, red or blue are used. Europe and Asia can use yellow or brown for ground, often striped.
    Bill D.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Friedrichs View Post
    Bob, to turn the VFD on/off using a "remote" switch, you just need to short terminal DI1 to COM. In the page "2.2.1 Typical System Connection" wiring diagram, it shows this switch labeled "Forward Run". If you connect a standard switch (like a household light switch) to those terminals, it should turn the motor on/off when you flip the switch on/off.

Perhaps this is obvious, but it's important to note that this switch is only controlling a low-voltage signal to tell the VFD what to do. It's not switching either the 240V input or the 3phase output, directly.

I would recommend getting a regular SPST switch (like a household light switch) and hooking it up and making sure it works before you get into the trouble of figuring out how to hook up the buttons from the DJ-20 (because the DJ-20 buttons are momentary, there is some additional complexity to making it work).

If you hook up the light switch and it doesn't work, I believe the 2.2.1 figure is saying that you need to adjust menu parameter F4-00 to be "1" to enable the external "Forward Run" input. By default, it may not be enabled.

Once you get that working with a simple switch, here's how to wire up the pushbuttons. Note that I "flipped" the start/stop button positions left/right from your starter wiring diagram to make the wiring connections less messy on paper
    20200315_085924.jpg

Thanks for this diagram. My VFD is weird I have to use maintained off stop switches. With this diagram I can rewire and use momentary switches and link the footbrake switch in as well.
    Bil lD

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Dufour View Post
    Thanks for this diagram. My VFD is weird I have to use maintained off stop switches. With this diagram I can rewire and use momentary switches and link the footbrake switch in as well.
    Bil lD
    Cool! Just to explain how it works for anyone curious:
    When you press the momentary "Start" button, the VFD turns on and closes the "relay" contacts. The relay contacts are in series with the normally-closed momentary "stop" button, and form a second, parallel path with the "start" button. Thus, once you release the "start" button, the relay is energized and this second path is now active. If you press the momentary normally-closed "stop" button, you interrupt that second path, and the VFD shuts off.

Any additional momentary "start" buttons can be placed in parallel with the existing "start" button. Any additional momentary (or latching) "stop" buttons can be placed in series with the existing "stop" button.

My lathe has three stop switches and a neutral position between forward and reverse so it should have four switches to stop it. Right now it stops if I step on the footbrake but it will restart if I lift my foot without turning off one of the switches.
    Bil lD

Blog Entries
    Here’s what the vendor had to say. Can you help me translate?

1.Wiring,Recommend to connect the 2 normal open(N.O.)button switch to the control terminals,
    short circuit DI1 and COM terminal,DI1 used as Forward run control terminal.
    short circuit DI2 and COM terminal,DI2 used as Forward run control terminal.
    2.Set F4-00=1,F4-01=8,F0-02=1
    Please let me know if works
    - Bob R.

Well, that's a bit confusing. I think their intent was to say the same as I said: Have the switch connect (short) DI1 and COM, and set menu parameter F4-00 to "1" (to enable that remote input)

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Riefer View Post
    Here’s what the vendor had to say. Can you help me translate?

1.Wiring,Recommend to connect the 2 normal open(N.O.)button switch to the control terminals,
    short circuit DI1 and COM terminal,DI1 used as Forward run control terminal.
    short circuit DI2 and COM terminal,DI2 used as Forward run control terminal.
    2.Set F4-00=1,F4-01=8,F0-02=1
    Please let me know if works

ok change short circuit to wire a maintained normally open switch to, example

1- wire your light switch to D1 and common ( has to be a switch which holds itself in or wired as Dan posted showing wired thru the relay)
    2- program parameter F4-00 to 1 for an external source to turn the VFD on

disregard the rest or post pictures of the parameter section of the manual or give us the online address to the book, so we can help some more
    good luck
    Ron