Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Hand plane gloat

Blog Entries
    You can sand the bright sole and sides. If the black japanning is faulty, you can strip it and paint with black automotive paint.
    I have a plane I did that to and it looks good. I coat my planes with Johnson paste wax. That prevents rust.

Lowell, what all do you put the paste wax on?

Sole...sides...about anything that isn't painted.

Blog Entries
    And the wax tip is something some younger woodworkers will want to try.

i usually just use a few squiggle lines on the sole...using just a plain old candle....

You also might look into Paul Sellers "Rag in a can" oiler....

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by steven c newman View Post
    i usually just use a few squiggle lines on the sole...using just a plain old candle....

You also might look into Paul Sellers "Rag in a can" oiler....
    That is great for when a plane is in use. It appears Lowell mentions the paste wax for protection when a plane is not in use.

My planes are also often treated to a coat of Johnson's paste wax or Howard's furniture wax before putting them to bed.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Mike I seriously hope you are not going to tell us that you don't have a can of Johnson's handy at all times? Johnson's is like Worstershire sauce - it makes everything better.
    David

David, I absolutely DO have a can of Johnson's Paste Wax handy. Just wondered if folks put it on other plane surfaces beyond the sides & sole. :0)

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike Manning View Post
    David, I absolutely DO have a can of Johnson's Paste Wax handy. Just wondered if folks put it on other plane surfaces beyond the sides & sole. :0)
    It depends, if the plane has just been brushed out after use, all the reachable metal surfaces are run over with the wax infused rag. If the plane is disassembled then it gets waxed all over.

The object is to leave an almost imperceptible coat of wax as a barrier to moisture.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

i keep an old cheap paint brush around. I put a few drops of 3in1 oil in the bristles and moosh it around to clean out the dust..makes the Japanning shine, too. Much like Sellers "Oily rag in a can" ( even Ishitani uses it)...there really isn't much oil IN the brush, but a little does go a long way. And, the brush can go where a rag on a fat finger can not. If the brush gets too "gamey", toss it away into the Firepit. Another brush is only a $1 at Wall E World ( yellow bristles, wood handles...)

Be careful of the candle rubbed on the soles....it does speed the plane up....a LOT. So, Hang on tight!

Good man Mike!
    David

NICE SCORE!!!! The Bedrock you stole!!! Seriously, well done..They can all be restored with patience and a little effort..
    Jerry

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Manning View Post

When I was refurbing old planes I'd apply wax to 100% of the plane, but only after a complete teardown and thorough cleaning. Once clean, lay a good coat of Johnsens on all parts. Let it dry, then rub it off with a cotton rag. It leaves a protective film, and the lubricity makes everything go back together real nice. I use Gulf Wax paraffin for the soles. One box will last you forever. Here's a Bedrock 605 1/2 I found in similar circumstances to yours. After cleanup it looked pretty darn good.

DSCN0288.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Sharp solves all manner of problems.