Thread: Creative-So I think- Cabinet Door Stop

Creative-So I think- Cabinet Door Stop

Sharing a solution I conjured up when I didn't want to have a solid wood door stop for inset doors and the available FastCap euro stops were way too small for my application.

I opted to buy a 36' x 3/4 Delrin (aka Acetal Copolymer plastic) rod. Also, comes in different colors

I used my table saw sled and cut the rod into appropriate lengths and then drilled two holes on the drill press to allow for the screw to be counter sunk. The offset hole allows the stop to be adjusted just by loosening the screw and then turning the rod.

Cost was under $25 on Amazon

Blog Entries
    Yep. A cam is the way to go. Good use of that material.

https://www.fastcap.com/product/euro-door-stop
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

What a great idea!!!
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

I don't understand why you need a cam. Are your doors the same thickness as the face frame? That'd be the usual way to build it. If so, the back of the door should line up with the back of the face frame. The door stop can be just a piece of wood screwed to the back of the face frame. No cam, no specially-procured materials, and very easy to build.

I agree with Jamie. But if I had to do it, I would not have chosen black for white cabinets. Clear or white polymer would not have stood out so much. Also not sure the cam won't creep after 10 years or so unless you have soft close hinges.

Quote Originally Posted by Jamie Buxton View Post
    I don't understand why you need a cam. Are your doors the same thickness as the face frame? That'd be the usual way to build it. If so, the back of the door should line up with the back of the face frame. The door stop can be just a piece of wood screwed to the back of the face frame. No cam, no specially-procured materials, and very easy to build.
    I didn't want a block of wood and also was done painting so didn't mind trying a creative solution. $20 is pretty cheap IMO and 30min of time was much less than painting. It's another tool in the bag for the future should I need it. Having said that I won't be doing inset doors moving forward and won't need any stops what so ever .

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Coers View Post
    I agree with Jamie. But if I had to do it, I would not have chosen black for white cabinets. Clear or white polymer would not have stood out so much. Also not sure the cam won't creep after 10 years or so unless you have soft close hinges.
    I personally like the black with the gray and yes I have soft close hardware. If it ends up being too big a deal down the road I can move to a traditional block of wood. If it does creep I can always loosen up the screw and make an adjustment

I thought of clear but didn't want to see the screw