Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ridgid spindle sander help

Ridgid spindle sander help

So I have the Ridgid belt/spindle sander. I love the thing but the only issue I have is with the smallest spindle. It does not have a rubber drum that it fits over that then can be tightened. It just goes right over the shaft. Due to this, the thing doesn’t really do anything. Either doesn’t spin when under any pressure or it works it’s way up and off the shaft. Does anyone have a fix to this? Almost have my sons rocking horse done but need the smallest spindle to finish the mouth.

Blog Entries
    Dad has mine now but, as I recall there was a washer setup that placed force on the sleeve from top and bottom to keep it put. Can anyone with a 4424 verify my recollection please?
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Isn’t there a washer that goes on top to keep the paper from moving up/down?

If it’s too loose, try a bit of painters tape on the spindle until it doesn’t spin freely.

Quote Originally Posted by glenn bradley View Post
    Dad has mine now but, as I recall there was a washer setup that placed force on the sleeve from top and bottom to keep it put. Can anyone with a 4424 verify my recollection please?
    I have one and you are correct- just one washer on top. I have never had any problem with mine.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Daily View Post
    I have one and you are correct- just one washer on top. I have never had any problem with mine.

Thanks for chiming in Mark. John, does that solve your trouble?
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

So I know about the washers. That stops it from moving up. I guess I stated two issues when I really only had one. Even with the washers I had issues with the sandpaper not moving under pressure. I will try the painters tape advice next time I can get out there and see if that works. Thanks for the replies!!

So the painters tape did help some. But after a couple minutes it was just slipping again. I attached a couple pictures of what I’m trying to do. I don’t think the spindle is small enough for the horses mouth anyways. What’s the best way to sand and shape the mouth? It’s (2) 1.5” and (1) /4” hard maple boards all combined to make the horse 3 3/4” thick. This is pretty much my last step before I can put it together.

B988560F-673C-4919-B2C2-A9DAD93D3362.jpg 3DB874AE-4954-4606-9E0B-FED43B02C6F8.jpg image.jpg

Could it just be your paper? Is it off brand maybe?
    I have a floor model spindle sander so haves used the small one on the Ridgid. I thought that tightening the thumb screw up top applies pressure on the paper a helps keep it still. If I remember I’ll get mine out tomorrow and see what mine does.

I think I’m just going to go old school. Take some older 4x belt sanding paper and use my hands. Will take me 100x longer to cut through that much but that horse mouth sure will look good to me. I’ll never forget this part lol. Getting excited for my son to use it for 2 weeks and move on to the next thing.

Quote Originally Posted by John Rice View Post
    I think I’m just going to go old school. Take some older 4x belt sanding paper and use my hands. Will take me 100x longer to cut through that much but that horse mouth sure will look good to me. I’ll never forget this part lol. Getting excited for my son to use it for 2 weeks and move on to the next thing.
    Auriou rasps come to mind. Some times projects just require hand work.

The small (1/2”) sanding sleeves fit very tight on the motor shaft of my machine. Tightening the spindle screw on top “smashes” the sleeve onto the fan at the bottom of the shaft which prevents the sleeve from slipping.

Quote Originally Posted by John Rice View Post
    So I know about the washers. That stops it from moving up. I guess I stated two issues when I really only had one. Even with the washers I had issues with the sandpaper not moving under pressure. I will try the painters tape advice next time I can get out there and see if that works. Thanks for the replies!!
    If you can slip the sanding sleeve onto the spindle with painters tape underneath, the sleeve is too big. Mine are very tight when sliding onto the spindle.

I think the issue is that you're sanding a tight inside wedge of hard maple - that is probably putting more torque on the spindle and sleeve than is possible to overcome without permanent attachment. I think your best bet is to manually sand that, maybe make a custom sanding block that has the contour you need.

You might reshape the mouth. It seems like the lower jaw is too thick and it could be deeper. Start by drilling a 1/2" hole for the back and saw your way into it, then the shaping will be much easier. Add a red leather tongue.

Dremel tool?