Thread: Stroke Sander Questions

Stroke Sander Questions

So lets get the brand new options on the table, to my knowledge it looks like Grizzly has the cheapest option and best options for a part time woodworker available. They have two models:
    G5394 - $1750+$175 ship
    G0679 - $3550+$175 ship

It appears the G5394 is identical to the more expensive model but the G0679 has the ability for edge sanding. Curious if they can either be modified to increase the panel width maximum which is currently 18". Would make it great for table tops if I could. I am still going to look for a local used unit in the meantime but so many of them are 3 phase and that is out of the question for my shop. Any specific older brands I should 100% look for or 100% turn away from?

Thanks
    Chris

You can position a wide panel so that it overhangs the sander table to sand its full surface. Unfortunately it appears it would be difficult to do the same endwise on the Grizzly machines so you would be limited to 59" long panels. The edgesanding option is clever but the changeover could be cumbersome.

Most used units will be three phase but it's easy (and the variable speed would be a useful feature) to power one with a variable frequency drive. They tend to take up a lot of space. I have a MiniMax L55 which is relatively compact and has served me well. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2-pS5iSg-74

One side bar regarding Stoke Sanders.....Lots of fugitive sanding dust. And I mean LOTS. A long bed sander is great to use on items such as doors and tables, but dealing with the sanding dust is very difficult.

Hard to believe you can't buy a really nice used stroke sander for $1,000 or less anywhere. Almost non existent in modern shops today. Almost nothing special about motor mounts on them, single phase motor would be easy to retrofit.

You almost couldn't give them away a few years back.