Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Thinking time vs cutting time

Most of my plans are a crude drawing with rough measurements. As projects progress, measurements are finalized as pieces start to come together. Where I spend most of my time thinking is on the order of finishing, especially when working with veneer and inlays. For example, I avoid sanding veneer until the end, grain fill prior to inlay, wash coat to seal in the grain fill (but no heavy veneer sanding), seal any wood around black inlay to keep black dust out of the surrounding wood pores, final finish anything possible prior to glue up, etc.
    I also try to narrow down the finish schedule as soon as I start to get cut offs from the project.

Thinking time....starting with a pile of boards...
    Tool Cabinet build, lumber supply 1.JPG
    And turning them into a cabinet to store all the "user" handtools in...

Cutting time......getting things glued up, first....then the cutting might begin....

Thinking time: getting a simple plane settled on, instead of letting the brain try all sorts of ideas ...at once.

Going to start at this..later today....nothing else to do, right now....
    Hauled 4 planks to the shop ( pick of the litter?)and stood one up where the box will go......design change....top of the chest would be about 7' above the floor....sometimes....it pays to do a dry fit...instead of just sitting around, doodling on paper.....

Old saying from my Dad: "A painter can always cover a Carpenter's mistake....a Doctor will bury his"
    Last edited by steven c newman; 03-21-2020 at 12:34 PM.

Woodworking is simple; people are complicated.

Woodworking is a mind-game.

The biggest mistake that you can make is to believe that mistakes are inevitable!

That is a mind-set where you give yourself permission to accept mistakes.

When you have paid your dues and have acquired the knowledge, woodworking is paint by numbers.

It is organization, planning, project management, commitment and discipline.

Mistakes are not some inevitable random act of evil forces. They are a direct result of your actions.

Your time is better spent learning how to avoid mistakes than how to fix them.

To err is human, to refuse to accept it, divine.

Mark

I don't think I've ever had a project end up exactly like originally planned.

I could joke about this, but the truth is I plan a lot. Every step, generally well in advance. Know what to do, then do it.

There is generally something new to try, a joint done in a different way, compound curves .... There is much visualisation practice going on ... that serious look on my face that my patients see and believe that I am pondering ... well, it is practicing ...

I still make my share of mistakes. It happens. Not the end of the world. The challenges never end. Isn’t that the fun of it all?

Regards from Perth

Derek
    Last edited by Derek Cohen; 03-21-2020 at 12:27 PM.