Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Thinking time vs cutting time

Most of us weekend warriors are building new things for the first time. I spend 75% of my time thinking and designing, and 25% actually building - not because I'm efficient in building, because I'm inefficient in designing.

I'm quite efficient when building for others, because it's their general design, which I am usually allowed to modify based on my skills or practical sense.

I find it works both ways: I did a complex 'stand-alone built-in' around a fireplace and stair, drew everything, and it all fit. It was kind of soul-less, though. Then, another time I noticed that a figured drawer-front really wanted a different cabinet-top. I fussed and messed and ended up with something way different than drawn, but was very happy about how well it worked out.
    This last piece, I didn't visualize how fragile something would be when done, so now I'm thinking about buttressing it with a 3-d 'thing'.... but I'm not quite there yet...

For me there's one additional component:

1. Thinking time
    2. Cutting time
    3. Fixing screw-ups time.

If you don't spend enough time at No. 1 then you'll likely spend even more time at No. 3.

You would think after 40 years of woodworking, I'd have learned the value of focusing on No. 1. But you would be wrong.

DC

Blog Entries
    Fixing screw-ups time.
    Old wise saying, "the difference between an amateur and a professional is how they handle their mistakes."

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

30% thinking, 60% building, 1% cursing, 9% fixing

6. Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Seemann View Post
    I have found the less time I spend thinking, the more time I spend cutting. And recutting. And swearing. And redoing.
    Ha! Gospel.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Bender View Post
    30% thinking, 60% building, 1% cursing, 9% fixing
    I can relate to that.

Regards from Perth

Derek

For something odd I think about the materials. Custom millwork sometimes requires getting the listed materials changed.
    Envisioning your project ,I think plywood might be needed, and I would cover it with glued on cloth. Faces and
    edges. Perhaps using solid wood only for the stiles and top and bottom rails.

Blog Entries
    Great question and some excellent thoughts expressed above. FWIW, some comments:

* Starting with at least a rough sketch and large paper cut list, in pencil is essential. Cut list gets taped up in the shop where it's readily visible and easily changeable during the build process. If I knew how to do sketch up/cad I would.

* Buy extra lumber – you always use it eventually. For me, usually means one extra of the longest board available.

* Before you start cutting, layout all your lumber and measure/label with chalk/pencil all the major components. This is your best opportunity to match grain patterns for major show surfaces etc.

* In initially breaking down rough stock, I cut the largest components (usually carcass pieces) to final length, and width +1 inch, to allow for any spelching during cross grain planing of show surfaces. Once show surface is flat (not perfectly smooth just flat), rip to final dimension.

* From here, prefer to take all subsequent measurements directly from work in progress and update cut list dimensions as needed.

* Practice/repetition helps avoid mistakes, but in any reasonably complex project there are always "new" design/construction challenges that need to be solved. I'm really bad at visualizing three-dimensional shapes. For me, life-size drawings are super helpful. I love the full-sized, flip chart with 1" grid layout lines.

* Mistakes are inevitable so don't stress out when they happen. Most can be corrected/repaired – particularly with hand tools.

* Even what seem to you like to you are the biggest mistakes are probably not even recognizable to others. I once made a stained, Poplar coffee table with inlaid compass rose right in the middle of the tabletop. The stain grossly discolored the inlay so the compass rose was barely even recognizable – I mean really horrible! Conversely, my son thought it was intentional to make the piece look "more antique" and never thought twice about it – go figure!

Cheers, Mike

Design it on paper, draft thorny sections and certain views full-size on plywood, identify the tools you think that you need to do the project, then take half of them and lock them up and give somebody else the key. Start building.

Well said, Mike! All you wrote is wise advice.

I’d emphasise ... “Mistakes are inevitable so don't stress out when they happen. Most can be corrected/repaired – particularly with hand tools.”.

My view is that good woodworking is often about how well you can disguise your mistakes. I make plenty, even with careful planning .. in every project, report them and their fix. Just part of life in a workshop.

Regards from Perth

Derek

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Hughes View Post
    If it’s a new design I’m working at or the wood is precious I will make the piece out of cheap wood. Usually poplar.
    Then the final piece I can move with quick confidence.
    A lot of the work I do now is one off Art pieces. When making art we don’t think about time or money.

Good Luck
    I want to thank you for the mock up 'push'. It was kind of hard at first to work on it knowing it'll get thrown away, but now that I've done a few, it's such an obvious way for moving along with headscratchers.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Koepke View Post
    Sometimes it helps me to figure these things out while falling asleep. Sometimes this results in a Rube Goldberg type of dream with an awareness in the morning of a suitable way to accomplish my dream.

jtk

Back when I was younger and played for money, I would fall asleep shooting pool - finding patterns, playing shape, experimenting with english, etc. Now I do the same with whatever I'm building at the time. I seldom make sketches or follow a formal plan, so I can spend a lot of time outside the shop working thru details, layouts, etc. And every now and then Rube will stick his head up and suggest a solution. Usually when I need to turn an adventure into a design feature, if you get my drift...
    Stand for something, or you'll fall for anything.

Blog Entries
    What's that old saying, great minds think alike…

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Carey View Post
    Usually when I need to turn an adventure into a design feature, if you get my drift...
    "Adventure "

I'm stealing that for my act.