Thread: hardwood casket

hardwood casket

I have the sad task of building the casket for a close friend on his way out. There are kits advertised on the net and videos on youtube but nothing there inspires me.
    Just hoping someone has experience with such a project and can offer design suggestions or other resources.
    Mark

There are two popular styles : stamped sheet metal "caskets", and the six sided wood coffins . I prefer the latter. They can
    easily be made of plywood ,covered with glued on cloth and painted black. The weave type of some fabrics look much like
    shark skin when painted. Few years back there was a reenactment of George Washington's funeral, take a look at that one.

I am sorry to hear that you are losing a friend. What a wonderful gift to be able to build his casket for him.

My buddy asked me to build his casket. As far as he knows he is a long way off from needing it, so it is more a hypothetical task. He wants the most inexpensive box that will do the task. I am actually thinking more of a dovetailed box made of baltic birch and dress up a bit with some trim work and a Fram and panel lid like this.

how-to-build-a-handmade-casket.jpg

Keep in mind the weight has to be low for carrying. Check with a cemetery I am sure there is some maximum width and height. Costco sells some caskets online you might look there for ideas? Sorry to hear about your friend.
    Bill D

I made one as a Halloween decoration. Even as a lark it was a sobering task. I feel that making a casket for a friend would be a labor of love. As such i suggest you keep it as simple as possible. Wrap it up before each trip to the shop becomes another dry run for the funeral.
    A Google search found a few books that could be used for dimensions and tips. I'm thinking you would want to line it with plastic sheeting,in case he leaks a little.

Blog Entries
    Along with a few other family members, I've built 5 caskets; Mom, Dad, 2 sisters, and a grandson. It is a sobering task, but one that is very rewarding. Most started with just an MDF box held together with biscuits & glue blocks. Then trim, moldings, veneer, paint or finish & then hardware. The final design depended on what the ultimate resident liked and all were strikingly different. Talk to your friend and get his input. My favorite was Dad's casket. It was covered with bird's eye maple veneer and had Frank Lloyd Wright inspired inlaid patterns.

Make sure the interior length is more than your friend's height. Post mortem, the ankles tend to straighten, requiring more length. DAMHIKT (sorry Dad ). However you do the handles, make sure they fold down narrow enough to fit where casket needs to go. Lee Valley sells some casket hardware.

Most commercial caskets have an elaborate arrangement for the lid, with those narrow panels that hinge down for viewing. They add a lot of complexity and are not needed if the funeral is to be closed casket. For open casket, you can have a platform in the upper half of the casket to hold the occupant up a bit and can be lowered to close the lid. the lining can be as plain or elaborate as desired. My grandson's casket was lined with fabric from my wife's wedding dress, which meant a lot to her.

If there are other friends or family members who'd like to participate, it can be a very special experience.

Good luck.

I googled up the attached plans. It does not seem overly involved. It is a typical six sided coffin. The angles are not overly complicated but I wonder how much weight it saves versus a rectangular box.

Sorry to hear you have a need. The source of the plans has a kit for $799 but that seems pretty steep - but not versus a finished coffin. The coffin and the burial plot were my big expense when my wife died unexpectedly. It all adds up. Making a coffin for your friend will save them several thousand dollars versus what I paid.
    Attached Files Attached Files

I don't think the traditional design had anything to do with weight. A body is always carried feet first. Anyone who died
    by their own hand had to be carried head first; and could not be buried in consecrated ground.

Perhaps not the style you wanted, but:

https://www.pbs.org/video/woodwright...lain-pine-box/