Thread: Easy chuck?

Easy chuck?

I’m surprised I haven’t seen more discussions on the Easy chuck. I see a lot of people suggesting the Oneway, Vicmarc (my favorite) and the Nova chucks but no Easy chucks.
    It looks like a great idea although I’ve never used one. I love the easy jaw changes and the quick tightening feature. Is it the price that turns everyone off or is the chuck itself just not that great?

Nova tried that with their quick-change chuck. I don't know a single person who bought one. The prices was high. But for me there are reasons to get more "conventional" scroll chucks rather than fewer quick-change chucks.

I hate to change jaws. For the money, I get more chucks and never change jaws. For me, having more chucks is a lot better then quickly changing jaws - I can have leave more than one project chucked up. I can switch to another chuck to make a special piece or jam chuck or something and not have to remove the piece from the chuck. When I have students, they can leave a piece in a chuck until they make it back to work on it the next time.

I buy chucks on sale and find some used. I have enough chucks now I've given a couple away and haven't missed them.

JKJ

I have an Easy chuck and my experience has not been that great. The Quick-Change jaw feature works great, but the chuck has a different problem that was not resolved after sending it back to Easy two times. The second time the chuck was replaced with a re-manufactured chuck and it has the same issue. I would recommend you spend your $$ elsewhere.

I agree with John K. I have a sufficient number of chucks for the various types of jaws I use frequently and probably should consider at least one more. It's easier to change the chuck than spend the time to changes jaws no matter how easy it is supposed to be.