Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Is a Recession coming?

Is a Recession coming?

With the stock market falling on a daily basis is anyone thinking recession
    Last edited by Lee Schierer; 03-09-2020 at 2:29 PM. Reason: fixed title
    If the Help and advice you received here was of any VALUE to you PLEASE! Become a Contributor
    Rabbit RL_XX_6040-60 watt Laser engraving/cutting machine Oh wait its a 3D Printer my bad LOL
    Lasercut 5.3
    CorelDraw X5

10" Miter Saw with slide
    10" Table Saw
    8" bench mount 5 speed Drill Press
    Dremel, 3x21 Belt Sander

Of course one is coming. There is always one coming. I do, however, believe we're walking into one due to failing to learn from previous mistakes (as usual).
    ~mike

happy in my mud hut

I think everyone will come to their senses. The fundamentals are too strong for a recession. The boogeyman isn't coming for us.
    Sharp solves all manner of problems.

The part about this that makes me nervous is that for years now (many) speaking with a lot of the "overseers" in the state, head of commerce, SBA, and so on, has been a resounding conclusion that of everyone they speak to on a daily basis the "warm and fuzzy" is not making it down to those that are working/producing. The boon and growth (which makes sense in the world of outsourcing) is focused on the top but very little of that comfort is making it down into the cracks where the vast majority of truly small business' operate. The Fed concept of "small business" being 500 employees or less is an utter joke. That would leave a massive percentage of the economy needing to be classified as a "micro" business with 10 employees or less.

We are way way way beyond lop sided. And this corona deal will be a clear an concise way for a lot of very smart money folk to make billions more off the backs of the fools who will run out and blow unneeded funds on soup and bleach.

But as always, the sheep are going to keep the system in tact and they will elect another sheep herder with the standard staff and herding dogs to keep the cash flowing in one direction and one direction only.

Do you feel better now?
    Never, under any circumstances, consume a laxative and sleeping pill, on the same night

Quote Originally Posted by Myk Rian View Post
    Do you feel better now?
    The market drop today was triggered by the failure of Putin to toe the line with a proposed stabilization of the awl bidness. So it's somewhat complicated. All it would take is a phone call? Why can't people just learn to love each other. :^)

Tried to hire a contractor, plumber, painter, or laborer lately? Around here they are ALL working.
    Rick Potter

DIY journeyman,
    FWW wannabe.
    AKA Village Idiot.

From one of my commercial trade magazines, residential cabinet sales were down 7% in Nov. 2019 as compared to Nov. 2018. Sounds like more of a correction, than a recession to me. The sugar high from tax cuts are beginning to wear off. Today, saw gas for $1.79 a gallon. which I haven't seen in a long time.

No as soon as this virus calms down I believe you will see 2000 point rise and set yet another record. The market was strong and confident. Is it balanced, no it never was and never will be. But what it will do is swallow some of these small businesses up from bankruptcy. We have not seen bottom yet. This virus will get put in the long list of shots you need to get next year and the pharmaceuticals will make a mint. Next year comes along and version 2 of this virus will show up.
    John T.

Quote Originally Posted by John Terefenko View Post
    No as soon as this virus calms down I believe you will see 2000 point rise and set yet another record. The market was strong and confident. Is it balanced, no it never was and never will be. But what it will do is swallow some of these small businesses up from bankruptcy. We have not seen bottom yet. This virus will get put in the long list of shots you need to get next year and the pharmaceuticals will make a mint. Next year comes along and version 2 of this virus will show up.
    You gotta roll with the punches. Don't just stand there, do nothing.
    Last edited by Doug Dawson; 03-09-2020 at 11:18 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Potter View Post
    Tried to hire a contractor, plumber, painter, or laborer lately? Around here they are ALL working.
    If you need a Roofer I’m your guy.
    Aj

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Luter View Post
    I think everyone will come to their senses. The fundamentals are too strong for a recession. The boogeyman isn't coming for us.

What do you mean "The boogeyman isn't coming ) He's already here.

Blog Entries
    The market is very predictable… It will fluctuate.

In every boom there is a bust. In every recession there is a boom just waiting for a spark.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Thanx AJ, but I am on the tail end of a new addition. The roofing is done except for a 5X8 porch, where we ran out of shingles.
    I am just starting on the cabinetry for it. Laminate flooring went in today.

New garage, and Granny Flat. Only house on the block with two.
    Rick Potter

DIY journeyman,
    FWW wannabe.
    AKA Village Idiot.

The market rises and falls on fear and greed. Take your pick. Common stock, really has no value. In a bankrupt situation, common stock holders are the last in line to get paid if there is anything left. Proceed at your own peril.
    Life's too short to use old sandpaper.