Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 16 to 30 of 49

Thread: Is a Recession coming?

  1. #16
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Doylestown, PA
    Posts
    6,075
    The economy is not just the stock market. I think/hope the fundamentals in the U.S. are strong, no subprime mortgage mess lurking like 2008 (I hope). From what I've read other parts of the world have been in a slowdown/downturn for some time now.

  2. #17
    Quote Originally Posted by Curt Harms View Post
    The economy is not just the stock market. I think/hope the fundamentals in the U.S. are strong, no subprime mortgage mess lurking like 2008 (I hope). From what I've read other parts of the world have been in a slowdown/downturn for some time now.
    -
    Student loan debt, high corporate debt, health care costs, income inequality, and pension fund under-funding are all waiting in the wings to contribute to the next big one. Will it be now? Who knows. But when it comes, I'm betting it will be bad and long.
    --Certainty is the refuge of a small mind--

  3. #18
    The fundamentals have never been good. A huge debt and wealth imbalance means when the recession hits, we'll all realize we had it coming.

  4. #19
    Join Date
    Dec 2019
    Location
    The old pueblo in el norte.
    Posts
    256
    Quote Originally Posted by Prashun Patel View Post
    The fundamentals have never been good. A huge debt and wealth imbalance means when the recession hits, we'll all realize we had it coming.
    .. and everything that was put in place to prevent it, has been since undone.
    ~mike

    scope creep

  5. #20
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Longview WA
    Posts
    21,338
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by Curt Harms View Post
    The economy is not just the stock market. I think/hope the fundamentals in the U.S. are strong, no subprime mortgage mess lurking like 2008 (I hope). From what I've read other parts of the world have been in a slowdown/downturn for some time now.
    If you are in an area of moderate to large population, next time you drive by a homeless encampment ask yourself, "is this what a great economy and full employment is supposed to look like?"

    jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

  6. #21
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Koepke View Post
    If you are in an area of moderate to large population, next time you drive by a homeless encampment ask yourself, "is this what a great economy and full employment is supposed to look like?"
    People make their own decisions. Some of them are wrong (albeit a matter of interpretation). It's a free country. No judgement implied.

  7. #22
    Join Date
    Dec 2019
    Location
    The old pueblo in el norte.
    Posts
    256
    Quote Originally Posted by Doug Dawson View Post
    People make their own decisions. Some of them are wrong (albeit a matter of interpretation). It's a free country. No judgement implied.
    Kind of a heartless way to look at it, isn't it?
    ~mike

    scope creep

  8. #23
    Quote Originally Posted by mike stenson View Post
    Kind of a heartless way to look at it, isn't it?
    No. People "of a certain age" have absorbed this.

    How _dare_ you tell me whether I should live a conventional life!? ;^) Have you even read Kerouac?
    Last edited by Doug Dawson; 03-10-2020 at 7:10 PM.

  9. #24
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Longview WA
    Posts
    21,338
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Koepke View Post
    If you are in an area of moderate to large population, next time you drive by a homeless encampment ask yourself, "is this what a great economy and full employment is supposed to look like?"

    jtk
    Quote Originally Posted by Doug Dawson View Post
    People make their own decisions. Some of them are wrong (albeit a matter of interpretation). It's a free country. No judgement implied.
    Quote Originally Posted by mike stenson View Post
    Kind of a heartless way to look at it, isn't it?
    Quote Originally Posted by Doug Dawson View Post
    No. People "of a certain age" have absorbed this.
    A local business man told me many of the folks living in tents actually have full time jobs. The wages aren't enough to pay the going rate for housing.

    jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

  10. #25
    I was taught a recession is just more production than current demand. But a kid's lemonade stand with a new 200 gallon
    tank might not be a recession.

  11. #26
    Join Date
    Sep 2016
    Location
    Modesto, CA, USA
    Posts
    3,989
    I predict that even if the Corona Virus takes off in the USA it will kill less then half the people who die in car wrecks every year. Probably far less then the murder rate as well.
    A student is more likely to die in a car wreck walking to school then even get the virus today.
    Bil lD.

  12. #27
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Koepke View Post
    A local business man told me many of the folks living in tents actually have full time jobs. The wages aren't enough to pay the going rate for housing.
    There are engineers working at Google in the Bay Area who are living in RV's. I don't blame them. I wouldn't work there if you paid me to (it would have to be a kings ransom.)

  13. #28
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    2,487
    Quote Originally Posted by Doug Dawson View Post
    People make their own decisions. Some of them are wrong (albeit a matter of interpretation). It's a free country. No judgement implied.
    the true measure of any society can be found in how it treats its most vulnerable members;

    Mahatma Gandhi

  14. #29
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Longview WA
    Posts
    21,338
    Blog Entries
    1
    A student is more likely to die in a car wreck walking to school then even get the virus today.
    Dying in a car wreck while walking?

    Sorry, that was just too good to let it slide by.

    jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

  15. #30
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Location
    Virginia
    Posts
    1,051
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Koepke View Post
    Dying in a car wreck while walking?

    Sorry, that was just too good to let it slide by.

    jtk
    No idea if the statistic is right, but pedestrians definitely can be run over by cars.

    I heard one of the presidential candidates talking about 500,000 homeless (no idea if that statistic is right either, but it is what he said and from what I understand about his campaign if he was going to spin the number he would be spinning it up, not down).

    In a country of 350 million that would work out to .01 percent. It would be nice if the number was zero, but it is pretty low.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •