Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sawstop mobile base

Sawstop mobile base

I know this topic has been discussed many times in the past, but in doing a search of this forum, I haven't been able to find any answers to this question.

Is it possible to remove the 2 fixed casters on the intergrated base and replace them with 2 swiveling casters?

It seems the primary problem with the intergrated base is that the 2 fixed casters prevent you from easily moving the saw to where you want it to go. For those who have the intergrated base, are the 2 fixed casters simply bolted on to the base, or are they welded?

I'm looking to take advantage of the current promotion, but if the casters cannot be replaced, I'll probably opt for the duct collection and purchase the ICS.

Thanks,

I have the 3hp PCS with the 54" fence. That thing drives like it has rack and pinion steering. I push the pedal down, go to the opposite end an can parallel park it in a tight spot. After having my Unisaw on a clunky and typical aftermarket base there is simply no comparison

Blog Entries
    I assume you are referring to the PCS base, cause the ICS base has 4 swiveling casters. Changing the fixed casters on PCS base will cause stability problems because they are always resting on the floor & act as feet when the swivel caster is raised. If you need to be able to move the saw fore & aft without shifting it from side to side, then the ICS base is the way to go.

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Pratt View Post
    I assume you are referring to the PCS base, cause the ICS base has 4 swiveling casters. Changing the fixed casters on PCS base will cause stability problems because they are always resting on the floor & act as feet when the swivel caster is raised. If you need to be able to move the saw fore & aft without shifting it from side to side, then the ICS base is the way to go.

If Frank is recommending the ICS base I couldn't agree more. It's the best I've ever had and has performed flawlessly for me on my ICS, another winner.

Thanks Frank.

So that I understand how the PCS base is designed, you're saying the fixed casters are always touching the floor, regardless of whether or not the lift is engaged?

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Pratt View Post
    I assume you are referring to the PCS base, cause the ICS base has 4 swiveling casters. Changing the fixed casters on PCS base will cause stability problems because they are always resting on the floor & act as feet when the swivel caster is raised.
    This isn't accurate. When the pedal is pressed to engage the wheels, the entire saw is raised, including the side table. When the saw goes down, it rests directly on the cabinet and not on any wheels. I have one, and these are quotes from the specifications on the Sawstop website:

Operation:Easy one-foot pedal lift, with release pedal. When not engaged, the cabinet rests directly on the floor
    Strength:Supports entire table and requires no extension piece – even for the 52″ extension table
    Brake:No Brake. When disengaged, saw rests firmly on the ground distributing weight directly to the floor, not the wheels

I don't recall how the fixed casters are attached, as it has been several years since I assembled mine. Sawstop technical service is very helpful. Try calling and asking them your question.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Mathews View Post
    If Frank is recommending the ICS base I couldn't agree more. It's the best I've ever had and has performed flawlessly for me on my ICS, another winner.
    I agree. Why can't they all be like this.

Go with the overhead dust setup, and put your perceived savings into an ICS base.

I am thinking of doing this or using a sale of it to get the industrial base. I think it is possible, just have to figure out how to mount them. Let me know if you have success and how you do it. Dan

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Jon Nuckles View Post
    This isn't accurate. When the pedal is pressed to engage the wheels, the entire saw is raised, including the side table. When the saw goes down, it rests directly on the cabinet and not on any wheels. I have one, and these are quotes from the specifications on the Sawstop website:

Operation:Easy one-foot pedal lift, with release pedal. When not engaged, the cabinet rests directly on the floor
    Strength:Supports entire table and requires no extension piece – even for the 52″ extension table
    Brake:No Brake. When disengaged, saw rests firmly on the ground distributing weight directly to the floor, not the wheels

I don't recall how the fixed casters are attached, as it has been several years since I assembled mine. Sawstop technical service is very helpful. Try calling and asking them your question.
    You are correct Jon. I had my facts mixed up. The fixed casters don't look like they would be easily changed out for swivel though. This is from the manual

casters.jpg

Thanks for the diagram Frank. It does look like a challenge.

After seeing the diagram, I'm now thinking along the same line as Dan. Go with the ICS and sell the PCS to help offset some of the cost.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Hirata View Post
    Thanks for the diagram Frank. It does look like a challenge.

After seeing the diagram, I'm now thinking along the same line as Dan. Go with the ICS and sell the PCS to help offset some of the cost.
    Talk to the people where your are buying it. I got mine from Lee Valley & they gave me full credit for the PCS base toward the cost of the ICS base so I didn't have the hassle of selling it myself.

moved to main post

I have an ICS with both
    Can't say enough good about the ICS mobile base it flat out works great.
    The overarm dust collection is a piece of crap. Only thing available when I bought my IVS and one was bought at at High School. Plugs up, lets too much dust escape, a piece of crap, works better if you remove the arm and attach a separate shop vacuum to the blade guard. Still plugs up and lets too much dust out, just not as bad. DON'T BUY IT
    The new 4" hose over arm looks like it might work ok, have not had a chance to try it.

The overarm dust collection is a piece of crap. Only thing available when I bought my IVS and one was bought at at High School. Plugs up, lets too much dust escape, a piece of crap, works better if you remove the arm and attach a separate shop vacuum to the blade guard. Still plugs up and lets too much dust out, just not as bad. DON'T BUY IT
    Are you referring to the original design where there was a right angle fitting right at the back of the blade guard, or the newer design where the hose is longer and loops around and runs straight into the guard?

My understanding is the early design plugged up and didn't work well, but newer reviews of the current design seem to indicate it works reasonably well.

I'd be willing to move up to the floating guard with the 4" hose, but folks seem to gripe about that as well, mostly in terms of positioning it and the weight and size of it, not in terms of the dust collection.
    --I had my patience tested. I'm negative--

Quote Originally Posted by Paul F Franklin View Post
    Are you referring to the original design where there was a right angle fitting right at the back of the blade guard, or the newer design where the hose is longer and loops around and runs straight into the guard?

My understanding is the early design plugged up and didn't work well, but newer reviews of the current design seem to indicate it works reasonably well.

I'd be willing to move up to the floating guard with the 4" hose, but folks seem to gripe about that as well, mostly in terms of positioning it and the weight and size of it, not in terms of the dust collection.
    It never occurred to me to use anything but my Festool shop vac for the "freebie" overarm collector. It works reasonably well.

A Woodcraft sales rep tried to upsell me on the floating guard, because "you wanna see the dog that bites you", but I wasn't convinced. :^)